C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Would Cause a Flat Tire Message (besides an actual Flat Tire)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Globeman
Pro

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

Default What Would Cause a Flat Tire Message (besides an actual Flat Tire)?

Today I was about 5 miles from home when the DIC displayed “LEFT FRONT TIRE FLAT’ message. I checked the tire and it looked OK. After about another ¼ mile of driving, the indication went out and the tire pressure displayed 30 psi (normal). I didn't think to check the pressure display when the Flat Tire message was displayed. When I got home I checked the pressure with a gauge and it was normal. The car has the original Goodyear Eagle Run Flats.

Any ideas on what could cause this? Could it be a fading TPS battery? The car is an ’06 with 11,800 miles.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:33 PM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Low battery probably
Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 PM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

I would think your battery is fine (unless it was defective from the factory).

Have you changed tires on your car? One thing I ran into is that when the tire shop mounted the new tires, for some reason they did not put the sensors in the same location (left front, right front, left rear, right rear). This can cause an error in the system....I believe the message on the DIC is "service tpms system" or something like that. Also, if you pull up the tire pressure readings on your DIC and readings for all wheels are "xx", then it is probably a system issue.

I dont know where the process is documented here, but you can make sure that the sensors in your wheels are matched up with the correct placement (left front, etc.). I made the tire dealer do it for me, but it did not appear to be rocket science, and it resolved my issue.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:37 PM
MDPD23
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

TPS sensor is going bad.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:45 PM
WEBDZYNER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Default sensor

Replacing the sensor fixed that exact problem for me.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Been through this a couple of times with my street and race wheels (12 sensors total). You have a sensor going bad. Not too much of an issue while driving on the street or highway. House of Wheels sells GM sensors for a good price call them to get a replacement unless you can get a local dealer to match their price. The sensors sold at the auto parts stores are sort of catch as catch can. Even though warrantied for a year stay away from the Dorman sensors. Their valve stems are longer than stock, they are slow to respond to a programmer one of mine failed within a month of installation requiring breaking down the tire and replacing the failed sensor. Warranty covered the cost of the sensor but not the cost of the tire shop that replaced it for me. GM sensors seem to last much longer.

Bill
Old 08-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Globeman
Pro

Originally Posted by WEBDZYNER
Replacing the sensor fixed that exact problem for me.
Thanks for the responses. It's probably the TPS sensor. The tires have never been off the wheels - everything is original from the factory.
If one sensor is dying, I suppose the rest will die soon too. Maybe I'll just wait till I need new tires and replace them all at that time.

Is there any way to disable tire pressure related alarms?
Old 08-03-2012, 02:11 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Globeman
Thanks for the responses. It's probably the TPS sensor. The tires have never been off the wheels - everything is original from the factory.
If one sensor is dying, I suppose the rest will die soon too. Maybe I'll just wait till I need new tires and replace them all at that time.

Is there any way to disable tire pressure related alarms?
Just had my tires replaced on my '05, had new OEM sensors installed too as the life is somewhere around 7-10 years (according to the Forum), installer charged me $43 for each sensor and had to calibrate them, everything fine now.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Sounds like a sensor to me. I'm on my 3rd set of tires in the last year or so (got rid of GY's for Michelins, changed tire size so another new set) and my front L sensor always starts out at 24psi with the low tire pressure indicator. Once I get it out of the garage and drive a block or so - it disappears and will show 27#'s like the rest of them do - and as the tires heat up they all go to 30#'s. My guess is the sensor.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by RobLo
Just had my tires replaced on my '05, had new OEM sensors installed too as the life is somewhere around 7-10 years (according to the Forum), installer charged me $43 for each sensor and had to calibrate them, everything fine now.
generally, this is true, but like anything, it could be less. as OP states, maybe when he next replaces tires, he'll replace all sensors at same time. good idea!
Old 08-03-2012, 02:46 PM
brewcitygymratt
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

TPS sensor probably going. My car will show zero pressure once in awhile. Once the car is restarted it shows normal pressure. Sensors are cheap. I bought 4 for around 170 off tire rack.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I have had the same message two times in my 1+ year of ownership.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:31 PM
BillH2121
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the summer temperatures get above 100, I occasionally have a "flat tire" message on my passenger rear tire. Same tire always - I know that the monitor in that tire has issues - I ignore it and a short time late it will reread and correct itself.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Jef1230
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have one on the left rear that shows 0 pressure after adding air a few weeks ago. Gauge still shows 30 lbs. I just assumed the sensor went bad.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly'n Family
Sounds like a sensor to me. I'm on my 3rd set of tires in the last year or so (got rid of GY's for Michelins, changed tire size so another new set) and my front L sensor always starts out at 24psi with the low tire pressure indicator. Once I get it out of the garage and drive a block or so - it disappears and will show 27#'s like the rest of them do - and as the tires heat up they all go to 30#'s. My guess is the sensor.
Right now that doesn't sound like a problem. You will know when it takes a dump especially if you are driving on a curvy road over 55mph. That is when the system will apply the front brakes and slow you down to 55 (the rated speed of an EMT at 0 pressure). The system will let you go fast in a straight line but as soon as you start to turn it applies the brakes. It did it to me coming out of T4 at the Glen. At around 120 mph with a BMW M3 on my tail the sensor reading went to 0, the DIC flashed 55 mph max speed and the car put the brakes on. I almost had a BMW Roundel pasted into my rear fascia.

Bill
Old 08-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Globeman
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Right now that doesn't sound like a problem. You will know when it takes a dump especially if you are driving on a curvy road over 55mph. That is when the system will apply the front brakes and slow you down to 55 (the rated speed of an EMT at 0 pressure). The system will let you go fast in a straight line but as soon as you start to turn it applies the brakes. It did it to me coming out of T4 at the Glen. At around 120 mph with a BMW M3 on my tail the sensor reading went to 0, the DIC flashed 55 mph max speed and the car put the brakes on. I almost had a BMW Roundel pasted into my rear fascia.

Bill
Wow Bill, that's a serious problem. Did you ever figure out how to prevent that from happening? ...other than replacing all the sensors frequently. Have you discovered any way to prevent a tire pressure alarm from putting the car into Nanny Control Mode? I don't track my car or even push it hard but I'd hate to have it brake for a false reading - now that I know there's a flaky sensor.
Old 08-03-2012, 06:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Bill
That sounds scary. I sure wouldn't want it to happen to me when a 4X4 pickup is riding my *** on a curvy Ozark road, trying to prove something(besides showing that he is an idiot).
Old 08-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Bill
Holy smokes - thanks Bill.

Get notified of new replies

To What Would Cause a Flat Tire Message (besides an actual Flat Tire)?

Quick Reply: What Would Cause a Flat Tire Message (besides an actual Flat Tire)?