C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z06 vs Grand Sport

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:59 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by AtomicZ_Eric
I would agree that the GS is the best performance bargain of the Vettes... However, paddle shifter do not equal a race car. It's a regular automatic transmission with flappy paddles. It's not a DCT / DSG like those found in Ferraris, Lambos, and other exotic cars such as the VW Golf GTI.

As a Z owner, I hate to admit it, but I *think* I agree with the gill comment. I think the Z's side vents are a bit plain looking :-/ Maybe... The jury is still out on that one.

Steel being stronger does not necessarily make it better. Why aren't jets, and space shuttles made out of steel? The aluminum frame is one of the major upgrades over the GS / Base. And I believe the roofs on the Z are magnesium, the ZR1's are carbon fiber.

Anywho, yea this was a halfway funny joke thread. Halfway...

We all know this man! I believe forum member Jawnathin was being "facetious."
Old 07-31-2012, 10:00 AM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TLS_Addict
Actually I am digging the new Viper. lol

I am hoping that when it comes out it drives the costs of slightly used ones down.

Give me a late model GTS in orange, please.

The new viper is going to be my next sports car. Wow that thing is gorgeous! Ohh yea, and ~650HP
Old 07-31-2012, 10:03 AM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Originally Posted by LFZ
We all know this man! I believe forum member Jawnathin was being "facetious."

Damn, I just got it lol. His line "Its a no brainer. That is why GM sells more Grand Sports than any other Corvette, its simply the best Corvette ever made," is what fooled me into believing he was serious
Old 07-31-2012, 10:06 AM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Damn, I just got it lol. His line "Its a no brainer. That is why GM sells more Grand Sports than any other Corvette, its simply the best Corvette ever made," is what fooled me into believing he was serious
Yea...I rolled on the floor laffing at that one.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:55 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
The Grand Sport is the best C6 there ever was.

Who needs an expensive Carbon Fiber roof when the Grand Sport's roof is completely removable! It doesn't get any lighter than that! Also, the automatic helps with consistency and has paddle shifters like the real race cars, something the Z06s and ZR1s wish they had. The extra gills not only look the best (remember, more = better) but it also helps with ventilation and reduce lift. The steel is stronger than aluminum, so its the best material to make the frame out of. With the extra wide body and performance equipment, its basically a barely street legal race car.

Its a no brainer. That is why GM sells more Grand Sports than any other Corvette, its simply the best Corvette ever made.
Z06 does not have a carbon fiber roof(the ZR1 does) and if you remove the targa top from your GS and store it in the rear, how do you save weight? I would bet that the bolt in top on the Z06 is indeed lighter then the removeable roof panel on the GS with both having the same SMC outer panel. If you leave your targa roof at home, to save weight, and it starts to rain, what do you do? Or you stop and leave the car in a parking lot, do you just leave the car open so every idiot with a mouth full of chew can stop by and spit in your car. I won't even comment on your other "facts" as they hold zero water.

The GS is a great car and fits the needs, wants and the pocketbook of most Corvette owners, but it ain't a Z06.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-31-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:11 AM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Ballypinball
Z06 = Poor Man's Callaway
I dont think so. Callaway is just a third party vendor like Lingenfelter. You can always add something.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
The GS is exactly the Vette I needed. Unfortunately, I'm not the only one since it's the best selling Vette by far. I was going to buy a Z06 but the GS was all the punishment my wife was willing to take in the suspension department (and yes, both with F55). And I'm glad because don't need any more power, plus the insurance difference is brutal. Super happy with my car .
My Z06 runs ~$600 a year with State Farm. How can that be brutal? i might be paying $50 more then I would be paying for a GS.

I drive My Z06 all over the country on extended trips and I don't think the ride is "back breaking", and I don't have F55. But then maybe it's because I am 70 years old, that explains why my "young" body can stand all that "pain" riding in a Z06.

We Have 14 Vettes going on a 12 day trip to Niagara Falls and New England to see the Fall Colors. In addition to my Z06, there will be three Grand Sports(one a Callaway) driving the same roads as the base C5/C6's on the trip.

Glad to hear you're loving your GS. It's a great car. All my friends that have Grand Sports(~8-9) also love them.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:21 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Z06 does not have a carbon fiber roof(the ZR1 does) and if you remove the targa top from your GS and store it in the rear, how do you save weight? I would bet that the bolt in top on the Z06 is indeed lighter then the removeable roof panel on the GS with both having the same SMC outer panel. If you leave your targa roof at home, to save weight, and it starts to rain, what do you do? Or you stop and leave the car in a parking lot, do you just leave the car open so every idiot with a mouth full of chew can stop by and spit in your car. I won't even comment on your other "facts" as they hold zero water.

The GS is a great car and fits the needs, wants and the pocketbook of most Corvette owners, but it ain't a Z06.
Targa top in the back along with the battery makes for better drag racing. However, the air caught from the open top will slow the car down. Cross eyed yet? haha

You cant go by just sales numbers. Sales numbers just show what a market wants at that current time and what they are willing to pay for. Guys anymore buy a lot of skinny jeans but you wont see my *** walking around looking like an EMO rump rider.

The new viper is going to be my next sports car. Wow that thing is gorgeous! Ohh yea, and ~650HP
You got that right. Is till am in love with the last gen GTS. And the late 2nd gen GTS.

My Z06 runs ~$600 a year with State Farm. How can that be brutal? i might be paying $50 more then I would be paying for a GS.

I drive My Z06 all over the country on extended trips and I don't think the ride is "back breaking", and I don't have F55. But then maybe it's because I am 70 years old, that explains why my "young" body can stand all that "pain" riding in a Z06.

We Have 14 Vettes going on a 12 day trip to Niagara Falls and New England to see the Fall Colors. In addition to my Z06, there will be three Grand Sports(one a Callaway) driving the same roads as the base C5/C6's on the trip.

Glad to hear you're loving your GS. It's a great car. All my friends that have Grand Sports(~8-9) also love them.
You my friend will see some very pretty locations on that trip. Please do take plenty of pictures.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:25 AM
daniel.M
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think somebody mentioned it before, but if you are mostly driving your car on the street, you can supercharge a GS to outperform a Z06 while still remaining significantly below the Z06 price point.

I understand that you can always supercharge a Z06 for even better performance, however:
1 - that puts the Z06 even further ahead in cost
2 - LS3 can definitely take more a beating than the LS7 (giving a bit more reliability to the supercharged GS than the supercharged Z06)

Basically you can have beyond Z06 speed for less cost on a blown GS. While a blower might not be the best for autocross or the track, it definitely seems like a very solid investment for the street or the drag strip. You pay for a lot in the Z06 that you might not need.

-Dan
Old 07-31-2012, 11:50 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

You my friend will see some very pretty locations on that trip. Please do take plenty of pictures.
We are really looking forward to the trip. Most of us have never been in that part of our beautiful country. After leaving Rutland, VT, we have six Vettes driving down to Cass, WV to ride the old steam powered logging train to the top of the mountain.

That's what is great about our Corvettes. They fit just about everyone's ***, no matter which model you have. I have met a bunch of great friends with Corvettes and we always have a great time going on extended cruises in our Vettes.

That are scary fast, when you want to go fast, yet, they have plenty of room to pack for a two week vacation, while riding great and getting great gas mileage. And, we look good doing it.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-31-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Bob Yocum
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's what is great about our Corvettes. They fit just about everyone's ***, no matter which model you have. I have met a bunch of great friends with Corvettes and we always have a great time going on extended cruises in our Vettes.

That are scary fast, when you want to go fast, yet, they have plenty of room to pack for a two week vacation, while riding great and getting great gas mileage. And, we look good doing it.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:16 PM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

You got that right. Is till am in love with the last gen GTS. And the late 2nd gen GTS.

Shhh, don't tell anyone, but I think the lines on the last Viper GTS look better (cleaner / smoother) than current vettes. Color choices though... not all that great... I think the last gen Viper GTS is a much prettier car (independent of color). But D@MN the interior is HORRIBLE!!!! lol

If you really want a quality close look head over to jaylenosgarage.com and search for the new viper video there.

On another topic... Looking at the C7's on Jalopnik I'm partly disgusted. I like the "silhouette" of the car, but it seems like there's a ton of lines (creases, body panels, flares, etc.) that just completely destroy the side of that vehicle. I really hope their silhouette is dead on but all the "noise" in between is calmed down.

I'd really like vette's to (finally) be as good to look at as they are to drive. I mean, they are cool / fast looking. But imho they're not styled in the same class as Ferrari / Maserati / Porsche (if you're into the porsche look, which I'm not), and the new viper. The new viper is actually a beautiful car.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:24 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Old 07-31-2012, 12:36 PM
AtomicZ_Eric
Pro

Originally Posted by Don-Vette

Nope, not trolls. I own a atomic orange metallic Z06. Love it. Not hatin on vettes, obviously cause I have one
Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 PM
LMBC6Brian2
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, not trolls. I own a atomic orange metallic Z06. Love it. Not hatin on vettes, obviously cause I have one
Old 07-31-2012, 12:57 PM
AGH
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most entertaining thread I have read in a while.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:50 PM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
Too funny

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 vs Grand Sport

Old 07-31-2012, 02:11 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

We are really looking forward to the trip. Most of us have never been in that part of our beautiful country. After leaving Rutland, VT, we have six Vettes driving down to Cass, WV to ride the old steam powered logging train to the top of the mountain.

What part of PA are you going to ride through? Old rte 6 is nice in areas but the gas well trucks have really done a number on some of the older roads. If you are heading south from the Rochester area towards Corning and on to RTE 15 in PA you will pass within a mile of my work.

I know the steam train you speak of, friends of mine who take their motorcycles down there have been on that. They said it is a really nice time.

Enjoy trips like those as its the journey that makes it even more so than the destination.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

What part of PA are you going to ride through? Old rte 6 is nice in areas but the gas well trucks have really done a number on some of the older roads. If you are heading south from the Rochester area towards Corning and on to RTE 15 in PA you will pass within a mile of my work.

I know the steam train you speak of, friends of mine who take their motorcycles down there have been on that. They said it is a really nice time.

Enjoy trips like those as its the journey that makes it even more so than the destination.
We will be pressed for time on that leg. 620 miles, in one day, from Rutland, Vt to Staunton, VA where we will spend the night, going to Cass, WV the next day. We will have to get on I-87, then I-88 in NY, then on I-81 through PA. to do that long drive, unfortunately

Wish we had the time to do a sight seeing cruise through PA. It would be nice. One of the reasons we will be dropping from 14 Vettes down to 6 Vettes for the Cass trip, is that some are ready to get back home, and some back to their businesses.

Last edited by JoesC5; 07-31-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:32 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

We will be pressed for time on that leg. 620 miles, in one day, from Rutland, Vt to stauton, VA where we will spend the night, going to Cass, WV the next day. We will have to get on I-87, then I-68 in NY, then on I-81 through PA.

Wish we had the time to do a sight seeing cruise through PA. It would be nice. One of the reasons we will be dropping from 14 Vettes down to 6 Vettes for the Cass trip, is that some are ready to get back home, and some back to their businesses.
81 is not bad........you can fly down that road. Not like you guys have much horsepower. hahaha Sarcasm. lol

Quick Reply: Z06 vs Grand Sport