C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard top convertible, C7?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 06:44 AM
MattGAUS
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard top convertible, C7?

Possible move from Chevrolet introducing a hard top convertible for the next generation. Any thoughts on this subject, as a buyer is that something you would spend the extra money on? I do think it would be a great idea, don't much care for the top-up look of convertibles but the ability to drive topless would be very appealing to the majority, I imagine.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:45 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

it would be to some, and it is somewhat popular w. others I'm sure. for me, it would not be because it will make the car heavier, and it will most likely take up much more of the storage space. plus, imo, Corvette has just about perfected the conventional soft top.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:46 AM
blitzebill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and the mechanism can get complicated and troublesome.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:01 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I would love to see a LIGHTWEIGHT set up. This would be a great option to allow the lines of the car to remain perfect during top up driving and allow same body color throughout. IMO too many ragtop/ body color schemes just don't satisfy me.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,922 Likes on 4,808 Posts

Would be a nice feature, but as mentioned the downside is weight and space loss. I love the looks of the Vette with the top down on the Vert not so with the top up. As for the couple removing the top is okay but not the ideal set-up.
So if they can come up with a solution that is light weight and does not rob all the cargo space that would be a winner.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:01 AM
TheLoneRanger
Advanced

I had a Cadillac XLR prior to my C6 vert. The hard top was nice as far as making the car feel like a luxury coupe with the top up and I never worried about the security of the car with the top up. However, I was in constant fear of the mechanism getting out of sequence or some other issue. Everything is computer controlled, just like on our C6's. If the computer has a brain fart and forgets what it is doing in the middle of raising or lowering the top you are looking at a costly trip to the dealer, unless you have a Star Scan tool and are smart enough to figure out the top folding sequence of events. Additionally, when the top was down, there was very little room in the trunk for luggage. With the top up, you had a very large trunk in the XLR. Also, I can only imagine how heavy the hard top is, you could feel it move the car as it was being moved into place on the XLR. I think the C6 should remain a soft top, but there does seem to be a trend right now with hard top verts, VW, BMW, and Audi have them. I even think the Chrysler 200 has a hard top vert option.

Bill
Old 07-29-2012, 01:43 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLoneRanger
...there does seem to be a trend right now with hard top verts, VW, BMW, and Audi have them. I even think the Chrysler 200 has a hard top vert option.
VW, BMW, Chrysler - yes. Audi - no.
Old 07-29-2012, 01:51 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

nothing screams "performance" like a hard-top convertible
Old 07-29-2012, 01:55 PM
Ozzy12
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the hardtop vert would be a great option for the base cars. I for one would buy it in a heartbeat. I loved the XLR for it, but liked the Vette styling better. I also think it's safe to assume that the average Vette buyer doesn't worry too
much about weight, and those that do go ahead typically and get a Z06 for its added rigidity. I think making a base model retracting hard top and then a coupe and rag top grand sport, then your fixed roof Z06 and ZR1 would make for quite an eclectic line up: it would definitely fill some current gaps in the market (I.e no American retractable hard top) and would help make it so that each model has a very distinctive segment it meets.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:01 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

My wife had me buy her an Mazda MX5 (Miata) when they came up with the hard top Vert. Truly the best of both worlds. I would buy a C7 with that option without hesitation. Better than the old C4 hard top vert - where you needed a crane to install and remove the hard top.

And I would be able to track the vert...
Old 07-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Daytona2000C5
Heel & Toe

I've owned several Corvette convertibles and love the looktop up or down. Itraded for a Z06 andmissed the top down so I bought a Porsche Convertible (still have the Z06) and have spent arond $1500 in top repairs. Give me a manual soft top anytime.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

I had a hard top convertible in 1967. The 67 C2 had an optional hard top that you could put on the car after you folded down the conventional soft top. It was a single piece that latched onto the car.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:21 PM
HarleyB
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'll go so far as to say that if the C7 doesn't offer a convertible hardtop I will be FORCED to buy this:

Of course this will require me to sell a kidney, a chunk of my liver, and retain my own divorce lawyer.

My (current) wife of 31 years has had her SLK 320 for the past 12 years with 0 problems with the power hardtop.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,361 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by AORoads
it would be to some, and it is somewhat popular w. others I'm sure. for me, it would not be because it will make the car heavier, and it will most likely take up much more of the storage space. plus, imo, Corvette has just about perfected the conventional soft top.
Originally Posted by blitzebill
and the mechanism can get complicated and troublesome.

A couple in our club have a C6 vert for him and an XLR for her. When she goes golfing, she borrows his C6 because her clubs won't fit in the XLR.

After 7 years, GM has been unable to produce C6 targa tops that don't rattle, squeak, and pop. I am not optimistic they could make a good folding hardtop for the C7, at anything less than XLR prices.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:35 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I would like to see a retractable hard top C7. I've had an SLK230, SLK320, Pontiac G6, and SL500, and never had problems with the retractable hard tops. The 3 Mercedes were used cars. The hard top gives rigidity to the car at the track. Most convertible buyers are not concerned about the extra weight. The hard top provides security when travelling. The XLR was built at the Corvette Assembly Plant - so they know how to build them. Retractable hard tops usually have much better rear views than soft tops. With the top up, there is usually plenty of luggage space. And for those concerned about the top getting stuck - there's a way to manually operate it.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:58 PM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

If you don't already have a C6 vert, go to a lot and ask to look at one. Put the top down and then look in the trunk. Not enough room left to hold a fart.

Now, try to imagine the extra size of a folding hard top. Where will it go? The only way to make it fit will be to make the rear of the C7 even higher than the rear of a C6. That will look nice.....not.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:02 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,578 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Weight weight weight weight

Get notified of new replies

To Hard top convertible, C7?

Old 07-29-2012, 06:39 PM
blackonblack2011
Racer

What about a motorized targa option like the Ferrari SuperAmerica? Those are pretty freaking sweet. If you don't know what i'm talking about youtube it. It folds straight up & over the top where it clips into a special place on top of the rear end with carbon fiber clips. I would love something like that. Im into the targa top but hate having to get out.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:00 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by TheLoneRanger
I had a Cadillac XLR prior to my C6 vert. The hard top was nice as far as making the car feel like a luxury coupe with the top up and I never worried about the security of the car with the top up. However, I was in constant fear of the mechanism getting out of sequence or some other issue. Everything is computer controlled, just like on our C6's. If the computer has a brain fart and forgets what it is doing in the middle of raising or lowering the top you are looking at a costly trip to the dealer, unless you have a Star Scan tool and are smart enough to figure out the top folding sequence of events. Additionally, when the top was down, there was very little room in the trunk for luggage. With the top up, you had a very large trunk in the XLR. Also, I can only imagine how heavy the hard top is, you could feel it move the car as it was being moved into place on the XLR. I think the C6 should remain a soft top, but there does seem to be a trend right now with hard top verts, VW, BMW, and Audi have them. I even think the Chrysler 200 has a hard top vert option.

Bill
My neighbor's Pontiac has a retractable hardtop. What ever happened to Pontiac? Apparently the retractable hardtop wasn't a neat enough feature to save them.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:03 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
I had a hard top convertible in 1967. The 67 C2 had an optional hard top that you could put on the car after you folded down the conventional soft top. It was a single piece that latched onto the car.
My 56 has the removable hardtop. Impossible to handle by myself.

Quick Reply: Hard top convertible, C7?