C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm perplexed!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 AM
MOA JOTS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm perplexed!!

I'm absolutely torn between a C-6 vert or a coupe.

VERT, More costly/better resale/ More air to mess the hair/ More sun/More freedom of the road/Minimum storage area.

Coupe, More affordable/less resale/ Convert to vert/skylight sun/less air to mess the hair/safer on the road?/more track worthy/ 22 cu. ft. of storage.

Anything else I'm missing?

I'm 61 and plan on keeping the car for my grandchildren, so who cares about resale? The wife doesn't like verts, however, that's just a little bump in the road. There's more storage space in a coupe and I like to take long trips, but, also know how to pack one case, each, for two weeks. Which way do I go?

I just turned down an 06 coupe with 3,500 miles, no mods except ghost flames. Using Edmunds price book, price was in my ball park. I also didn't like the interior color. Was I crazy?

Someone help this lost buyer get on the correct road. VERT, OR, COUPE?
Old 07-31-2012, 05:11 AM
PlanetZoom
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12

Which car will make you happier?

As far as turning down the one where you didn't like the interior, you are definitely not crazy. Unless you are in a rush, be patient and buy what you'll love. Don't settle!
Old 07-31-2012, 05:59 AM
2swoosh
Instructor

Default lost..

vert for easy cruisin esp. if you're from the sunny States nothin like cruisin on a vert Vette. Coupe/targa if u love spirited driving esp. a manual tranny or a Z. Good luck
Old 07-31-2012, 09:28 AM
Front Runner
Racer

Originally Posted by MOA JOTS
I'm absolutely torn between a C-6 vert or a coupe.

VERT, More costly/better resale/ More air to mess the hair/ More sun/More freedom of the road/Minimum storage area.

Coupe, More affordable/less resale/ Convert to vert/skylight sun/less air to mess the hair/safer on the road?/more track worthy/ 22 cu. ft. of storage.

Anything else I'm missing?

I'm 61 and plan on keeping the car for my grandchildren, so who cares about resale? The wife doesn't like verts, however, that's just a little bump in the road. There's more storage space in a coupe and I like to take long trips, but, also know how to pack one case, each, for two weeks. Which way do I go?

I just turned down an 06 coupe with 3,500 miles, no mods except ghost flames. Using Edmunds price book, price was in my ball park. I also didn't like the interior color. Was I crazy?

Someone help this lost buyer get on the correct road. VERT, OR, COUPE?
No, you're not crazy at all. Wait for the car that you really like instead of settling.

I was in the same boat as far as deciding to best route to go between a Vert and Couple. I chose a coupe for the same reasons you have listed above (The wife doesn't like verts, more storage space in a coupe and I like to take long trips, I like to throw my arm behind the passenger seat and rest it on the hump that separates the trunk area in the coupe, and since space can be kinda tight in the passenger area with stuff, I normally sit easy grab items behind the hump in the trunk area so I can grab them while driving (not taking eyes off road) if I need to.)

That was more important to me than having a Vert, but with the targa top I can have the best of both worlds.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 AM
garye
Melting Slicks

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '21

I’m 60 and just bought an auto vert, I love the vert but for myself I should have bought a 6 speed, i love to shift. However, I had a coupe and driving down the highway with the top off is impossible, the wind noise is so loud you can’t hear yourself think. Around town the top off is great but the highway, no way. The convertible has less wind noise and less wind blowing your hair with a vette net wind deflector,it made a world of difference in my vert. IMHO a vert is the way to go, your grandchildren will thank you for it when they get to drive it.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:41 AM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm older than you. Convertible always and forever. Your g'kids will love you, verts usually higher resale as they age. enough room in the trunk and access from inside too.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:03 AM
RickintheOC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was fortunate, my wife wouldn't let me buy a Corvette unless it was a Vert. I always hear the issue of a Vert having limited storage. It easily fits two carry on bags and that is more than sufficient for us. And if your concerned about wind noise, get a windscreen which reduces noise about 50%. IMHO, if you are passing this car on to the grand kids, a current Vert is going to be a more of a classic car and have more value in 15-20 years compared to the Coupe.

There is an old saying "When the top goes down, the value goes up." Good luck in your decision, but more importantly, take your time and find the right car.

P.S. If it appeals to you, get a M6, it just adds to the fun factor. I wouldn't recommend a manual if you will be doing a lot of freeway commuting. But the way you described yourself, I have the impression you will be just cruising and taking trips in it, which a M6 would be perfect for.

Last edited by RickintheOC; 07-31-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:42 PM
nuklhd
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by RickintheOC
I was fortunate, my wife wouldn't let me buy a Corvette unless it was a Vert. I always hear the issue of a Vert having limited storage. It easily fits two carry on bags and that is more than sufficient for us. And if your concerned about wind noise, get a windscreen which reduces noise about 50%. IMHO, if you are passing this car on to the grand kids, a current Vert is going to be a more of a classic car and have more value in 15-20 years compared to the Coupe.

There is an old saying "When the top goes down, the value goes up." Good luck in your decision, but more importantly, take your time and find the right car.

P.S. If it appeals to you, get a M6, it just adds to the fun factor. I wouldn't recommend a manual if you will be doing a lot of freeway commuting. But the way you described yourself, I have the impression you will be just cruising and taking trips in it, which a M6 would be perfect for.
Plus be patient, the great thing about these cars I have found is that there are lots of them out there with very low mileage from all years. Not sure why people don't drive these cars. Bought my 2005 vert with less than 20,000 miles a little over a year ago and had plenty of choices all with low miles.
Be patient and get the one you want i.e. color, vert, coupe, interior color, options, auto or manual it is out there.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:46 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I prefer the coupe because it has more luggage space, but more importantly for security reasons. It's more likely someone will try to break into a convertible, and slash the top.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:51 PM
LMBC6Brian2
Racer

One thing not to forget, is that the removable top on the coupe is no picnic to remove and store. Getting that thing off by yourself takes serious back and upper body strength. Its like a very nerve racking process getting it off and put away without scratching or dropping it. And im an in shape 32 year old. There is no way my 60 year old dad with a bad hip would be able to get it off without dropping it. The vert top couldnt be easier to put down.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:53 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

06 with 3500 miles? Wow...
Old 07-31-2012, 01:54 PM
MOA JOTS
Intermediate

Default I'm perplexed

Thanks for all the feedback. Now I'm REALLY perplexed! Ha!

I'm looking for orange/cashmere for the appropriate year. It's got to be automatic/6 because I can't shift anymore. Besides, I'm planning on still driving this when I'm 80! (I like to plan ahead).
Old 07-31-2012, 02:07 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Local guy in his 90s has a mid 70s Caddie that is a convertible. The smile on his face is enough to make you grin when he goes by.

Go for the vert.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:39 PM
unixcorn
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts

I have owned both in the last year. I traded an 07 coupe on an 09 vert. I couldn't be happier. There is a bit more wind noise with the top up on the highway compared to the coupe but it's quieter than I expected.

As mentioned above there is always the threat of someone cutting the top to get in. I figure if traveling, I will just leave the glove box open and clean it out if I stop.

I don't see a downside to either car. They each have a different personality even though the coupe roof comes off. They do look different though and some don't like the vert with the top up. I happen to like it.

I can't wait to drive through the Colorado mountains with the top down.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:41 PM
JJPonzini
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LMBC6Brian2
One thing not to forget, is that the removable top on the coupe is no picnic to remove and store. Getting that thing off by yourself takes serious back and upper body strength. Its like a very nerve racking process getting it off and put away without scratching or dropping it. And im an in shape 32 year old. There is no way my 60 year old dad with a bad hip would be able to get it off without dropping it. The vert top couldnt be easier to put down.
With two people, my wife and I, we go from top on to completely stowed in one minute. One person is a pain, two is a breeze. And we get to enjoy the extra luggage space for weekend trips. We drive there in quiet with the top on, get to the hotel and check in the bags, stow the top and enjoy the sunshine. We are glad we got a coupe. If we just drove around town and didn't like the extra space in the back, we would have a vert. But test drive both.

A couple of pair of gloves helps. The top gets hot sitting in the sun. Don't burn yourself.

Last edited by JJPonzini; 07-31-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:44 PM
doubledime
Pro

VERT!! enough said
Old 07-31-2012, 02:47 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 310 Likes on 200 Posts

I really was thinking vert til I got in a coupe with the roof off, liked it better, I know/

Get notified of new replies

To I'm perplexed!!

Old 07-31-2012, 02:48 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Happy wife, happy life. Get the coupe. If you are in reasonably good shape you can easily handle the removable roof. Just no place to put it unless you want to remove the stuff from the cargo area OR leave it in your house/garage/motel room.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:53 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by garye
IMHO a vert is the way to go, your grandchildren will thank you for it when they get to drive it.
Also, there is actually less wind turbulence in the vert than in the coupe!

Tom
Old 07-31-2012, 02:55 PM
08 ATOMIC-Z
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I have both (07 Vert, 08 Z06). I prefer to take the Coupe (Z06) when the trip is over a few days. There is more room and its a quieter ride. The paddle shift is nice in the Vert for an auto and it gets good gas mileage also. Be sure and get the Z51 pkg on which ever you choose. The handling is much better than base.

Quick Reply: I'm perplexed!!