C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fort Worth runflat repair

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 11:02 AM
mbsigman
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Fort Worth runflat repair

Hi all. I'm posting this here as I tried a search in the Southwest forum and came up relatively empty. (I must admit I'm not the most search savvy person out there!)

I may have picked up a nail or something in my left rear Michelin Pilot Sport AS runflat. I would like to find a tire repair facility in the Fort Worth, TX area (specifically, the Mid Cities/Keller area) that will do a good job on a tire plug.

I really want to avoid an internal patch if possible as the installer who put the tires on goobered up two of my wheels. Ugh.

I want a facility that has the Hunter Roadforce balancer to rebalance the tire after the plug is installed.

Suggestions?

I'll repost this in the Southwest forum as well, but I know that this forum gets many more hits so....I thank you for your understanding.

Mike
Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I think a patch is required to maintain your warranty.

I use Discount Tire in Irving (183 at beltline on east bound service rd) and they have treated my vettes with kid gloves.

GL with repair.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:52 PM
kenrobb
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 85 Posts

Like said above, Discount Tire has always done good job on my runflat tire fixes. They usually have proper machine to handle job. And it has been free to me in past. They are only place I use for all my tire needs in DFW.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:00 PM
BigJoe
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

Not sure where in the FTW area you are but I've had success with Blagg Goodyear on Main St. in Grapevine. They have worked on 6 of my Vettes over the years.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:44 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,060 Likes on 1,368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Much as I understand your fear of damaged wheels, you do want an internal plug-patch on the tire. That's the only method approved by tire makers, and the only safe method.

Some people just use a plug and aren't hurt by it. My mother smoked two packs a day for most of her life and wasn't hurt by it, but I don't recommend that either.

I worry more about some moron jacking on my rockers, than about scratched wheels.

Hope it works out well for you.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:28 PM
mbsigman
Pro

Thank you for the replies and the information.

I seem to remember that many moons ago this question was asked and Discount Tire in general and specifically in Keller was mentioned. I called them yesterday and they also described the two step process of patch and plug. They also have the Hunter Roadforce tire balancer.

That's the way I will go, and again, I thank you for taking the time to reply.

Mike
Old 07-26-2012, 01:57 PM
mbsigman
Pro

Default runflat repair

Hi folks. Just wanted to give an update, and I will copy this to the Southwest forum in the hopes that it may help someone there.

I spoke with David, the Asst Mgr at the Keller Discount Tire on 377. Made an appointment for 1100 today. I highly recommend making an appointment as the wait time for appointments is far shorter than the wait time for drop-ins.

Kyle was the tech who did the work, and he was spectacular. Did a great job. Very experienced (he's worked on Lambos and other exotics as well) and did a terrific job. I pointed out my jacking pucks (permanently installed) and he used the puck without hesitation. Patch/plug thing, used a plastic thing on the tire rod to preclude wheel damage. Tire balanced right up using the Hunter Road Force balancer. Drove it up to 75 and smooth as silk.

Here's the kicker: no charge. I expected to pay, and frankly, he did a good job and I wanted to pay. No charge. They wouldn't take any money from me. I'm sure many of you are aware that this is Discount Tire's policy, but I sure wasn't. All I wanted was my tire fixed without goobering up my wheel.

I gave Kyle a big honkin' tip anyway.

These people have made a customer for life.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else who picks up a !@#! nail in their tire.

Mike
Old 07-26-2012, 02:08 PM
loubob57
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a similar experience with Discount Tire in South Fort Worth.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:11 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I little goodwill ie free flat repair turns into a lot of new tire sales. I have bought 9 sets for my Vettes and numerous other sets from them.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:59 PM
gordonb50
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Discount Tire is the only place I'll take my Vette's. I began using them when I lived in Arizona (until 2006) and continue to use them now that I'm in Texas. They've got the right equipment, the right knowledge, they're careful from start to finish, AND they use torque wrenches to properly torque the lug bolts. Since I buy all my tires there, they've never charged me for flat repairs or tire rotations on my non-Vettes.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Joe_Planet
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got a set of rims/tires for my truck from that exact shop, in fact i live across the railroad tracks from them.. ish those guys are pretty good i think. last time i got tires for vette though i took the wheels off the car and took it to the shop, i just dont trust anyone i guess lol
Old 07-26-2012, 04:06 PM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mbsigman
Hi all. I'm posting this here as I tried a search in the Southwest forum and came up relatively empty. (I must admit I'm not the most search savvy person out there!)

I may have picked up a nail or something in my left rear Michelin Pilot Sport AS runflat. I would like to find a tire repair facility in the Fort Worth, TX area (specifically, the Mid Cities/Keller area) that will do a good job on a tire plug.

I really want to avoid an internal patch if possible as the installer who put the tires on goobered up two of my wheels. Ugh.

I want a facility that has the Hunter Roadforce balancer to rebalance the tire after the plug is installed.

Suggestions?

I'll repost this in the Southwest forum as well, but I know that this forum gets many more hits so....I thank you for your understanding.

Mike
theres a goodyear in GRAPEVINE , or try down a little south of you in WATAGA lot of places there or try discount in KELLER
tell themm CISCO sent you .

Last edited by lastcowboy; 07-26-2012 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:38 PM
milt IV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad everything went smoothly. I'm like you and fear anybody touching my rides. Discount in Grand Prairie has always been good to me. We take all of our company vehicles to them too so I am a familiar face up there.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:23 PM
Keith Tedford
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Tire Plug

I had one of the original Goodyear F1 runflats plugged, after picking up a screw, without removal from the rim. It worked fine. My local mechanic did it and I was gone in 15 minutes and had it back on the car in another 15 minutes. A patch would be extra insurance.

Last edited by Keith Tedford; 07-26-2012 at 06:25 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Fort Worth runflat repair

Quick Reply: Fort Worth runflat repair