C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A question for the masses(here)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 09:27 AM
macguyver
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Default A question for the masses(here)

What is the deal with people blocking out their liscense plate #??

Whats up with that??

What good does it do?? What kind of "protection" is it really giving you??

Do the same folks who do this black it out when they drive the car on the highway-everyones see's it then. Do you remove it when you park it @ a store?? I cant understand the logic behind it, would really appreciate someone with a good explination on this.

I mean anyone can look up property records and find out where you live & even more than that is available public knowlege

Any thoughts / comments??
Old 07-17-2012, 09:31 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

I've never understood that either. I post my plate here all the time and don't give a sheet who see's it.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:34 AM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Add me to the "dont get it" either crowd/
Old 07-17-2012, 09:36 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people think that posting their license plate gives out too much information to a global audience. "Global" as opposed to driving to the grocery store in your home town.

It shouldn't really matter to anybody, unless the thread is about custom license plates, of course.

People have different perceptions about what is personal/private information. And many, with good reason, I imagine.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

Old 07-17-2012, 09:38 AM
VERTBLK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You never know who or what is lurking on the internet. The fact that many people post what other toys the may have or any other personal info here. No sense in giving a possible crook your tag number also.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:10 AM
ButWhatDoIKnow
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by macguyver

Do the same folks who do this black it out when they drive the car on the highway-everyones see's it then. Do you remove it when you park it @ a store?? I cant understand the logic behind it, would really appreciate someone with a good explination on this.

Any thoughts / comments??
I don't block out my license on the forum, only when driving on the street to avoid photo radar and redlight cameras.

j/k
Old 07-17-2012, 10:19 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,831 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

The black helicopter crowd hiding from the "man". Who cares if some slub in Nome Alaska or Fargo ND sees your license plate. I drive all over the country with the darn thing exposed for all to see so hiding it on here is just plain ignorance and a waste of my Paint Shop Pro 3!

Elmer
Old 07-17-2012, 10:42 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

If someone feels that somehow makes them safer that's fine. Personally, I've never been concerned about it. Media outlets typically obscure a license plate to cover their *** for potential liability claims. In Arizona, when you register your car, you have to opt-in to allow the release of personal information. Without agreeing to have your personal information released, the general public can't obtain your personal information from your license plate.

Originally Posted by ButWhatDoIKnow
I don't block out my license on the forum, only when driving on the street to avoid photo radar and redlight cameras.

j/k
Obviously, you're kidding but there are ways to 'deal' with the revenue enhancement cameras. Always drive with your sun visor down as far as safely possible...day and night. It's impossible to ID a driver with a photo of a chin. In Arizona, most people simply ignore photo citations as they're issued by a private company....not by a police officer. The police rarely, if ever, follow-up and send a police officer (or process server) out to personally hand-deliver the citation to make it 'official.' I've received a couple photo citations for cars registered in my name but not driven by me. The 'citation' asks me to identify the driver. I respond "I can say with absolute certainty that is not me driving the car. I cannot say with certainty who the driver is." I'm sorry but I'm just terrible with faces. I wouldn't want to misidentify the wrong person.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 AM
JLMounce
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's certainly not going to hurt anything. There's definitely scenarios where you might want to. For instance if you're stupid enough to go street racing and catch your license plate, the authorities can then find you.

Alternatively, if you become an internet troll and **** somebody off, the license plate becomes an easy way to track you down.

In most states all you need is a license plate number and a couple bucks and the public records department can give you the name and address to which the car is licensed.

With that said, I don't really bother to hide my plate.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by macguyver
What is the deal with people blocking out their liscense plate #??
For the same reason that you don't have any information about yourself in your profile?

Last edited by Vette_DD; 07-17-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:46 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by dvilin
Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 AM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by JimTN
For the same reason that you don't have any information about yourself in your profile?
Jim....good point...he is asking about the plate info...and he doesn't fill in his profile...

Nice pick-up!

Old 07-17-2012, 11:22 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=JimTN;1581335828]For the same reason that you don't have any information about yourself in your profile?

Moderator 1 . . . OP 0
Old 07-17-2012, 11:23 AM
Bob Yocum
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Wayne O;1581335804]If someone feels that somehow makes them safer that's fine. Personally, I've never been concerned about it. Media outlets typically obscure a license plate to cover their *** for potential liability claims. In Arizona, when you register your car, you have to opt-in to allow the release of personal information. Without agreeing to have your personal information released, the general public can't obtain your personal information from your license plate.

Obviously, you're kidding but there are ways to 'deal' with the revenue enhancement cameras. Always drive with your sun visor down as far as safely possible...day and night. It's impossible to ID a driver with a photo of a chin.

unless your jay leno
Old 07-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Shysterman69
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I personally always blocked my plate out in most of my photos I posted (I am sure I forgot a few)because while yes you can see it on any public road it is usually only for a brief moment and someone would really need to take a photo of it to remember it. I can tell you of a case of a friend of mine posting his car photos on FB and someone calling in a complaint to the local PD on his car, the only thing that saved him was he was on vacation at the time the claim came in. The local PD traced the call (yes this was an idiot) back to an individual who was dating his ex wife, they had never met yet he got his tag number from (you guessed it) FB and the photos he put on there...
Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 AM
Shysterman69
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Bob Yocum;1581336154]
Originally Posted by Wayne O
If someone feels that somehow makes them safer that's fine. Personally, I've never been concerned about it. Media outlets typically obscure a license plate to cover their *** for potential liability claims. In Arizona, when you register your car, you have to opt-in to allow the release of personal information. Without agreeing to have your personal information released, the general public can't obtain your personal information from your license plate.

Obviously, you're kidding but there are ways to 'deal' with the revenue enhancement cameras. Always drive with your sun visor down as far as safely possible...day and night. It's impossible to ID a driver with a photo of a chin.

unless your jay leno
LOL so true about Leno, or that denim shirt he is always wearing away from work... What a great car guy he is reguardless, I had the pleasure of meeting him in Nashville, TN many years ago. Super friendly guy and we chatted about cars for about 30 mins...

Get notified of new replies

To A question for the masses(here)

Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 AM
EtidW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand it either.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by N2TU
Jim....good point...he is asking about the plate info...and he doesn't fill in his profile...

Nice pick-up!

Why don't people fill out their profile? I always look for people in my area or that have something besides the color of their Corvette in-common.
Old 07-17-2012, 12:05 PM
macguyver
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN

Good one!!!

Also - since I am a bit on the thick side here- I didn't pick up on the significance of the pic you posted- will you explain- I can't read the wording.

Quick Reply: A question for the masses(here)