C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer failed again after 4,000 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:41 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jwswanson
It took awhile to find a post to use but I did send a PM so we will see what he suggests.

This is the third 'vette I have purchased new and it has had by far the most problems, and not insignificant ones at that. At 14,000 miles I had the clutch pedal remaining on the floor problem and the clutch had to be replaced. It had been slipping so badly due to the problem that the clutch was almost completely worn at that point. It's not the way I drive it - the replacement is still going strong with 54,000 miles on the car now.

I also had an Active Handling incident that was eyewatering. After a sensor was replaced I have not had any repeats of that, thank goodness. Now its the dead battery issue, the continuing hydraulic leak and the pulley they can't seem to fix. As much as I love Corvettes, including this one, I am losing the thrill these days! There may not be a 4th Corvette for me.

John
What are the signs of a worn out clutch? I have never had one go out on me.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:07 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 546 Likes on 378 Posts

trade the car.problem solved.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Dragracer_Art
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The problems are not somuch with the car... as they are with the idiots that have been working on it.

The balancer wobble is a common problem. The inner hub and outer ring are not bonded properly. The hub stays tight to the crank and spins true, but the outer ring will wobble.
I had this same problem on my '05 and replaced it with an SFI approved aftermarket balancer. I did the job myself and it wasn't a big deal. My crank bolt was plenty tight. The problem was the balancer.

That said... If I had all the problems you had with your car, I would have declared it a lemon and dumped it for another car.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:04 AM
vindicator
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry you are going through this. Its another example of how WE have to take responsiblilty for who we take our car to for service.
My local chevy dealer doesn t sell or service many corvettes so I don t go there even though its considered a good dealer. I go fifty miles away to a dealer that services a lot of Vettes and has two Techs that only work on Vettes. I think they know these cars and do it right the first time. Like anything, we have to check it out. good idea, trade it now for a new one . good luck
Old 07-11-2012, 12:20 AM
littlefranks
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by designerRob
Aftermarket pulley and private Vette shop!!!!!
x2x2
Old 07-11-2012, 01:50 AM
GS-Zero
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I've just had an SLP balancer installed on my '07 and it's working brilliantly so far. Not only is the belt chirp and wobble gone, but I notice less ambient noises coming from the engine bay overall.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

jwswanson,

I received your PM, I'm just waiting on your information.

Evan, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 07-11-2012, 12:23 PM
John Harry
Melting Slicks

Received 437 Likes on 270 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14

It took awhile to find a post to use but I did send a PM so we will see what he suggests.
Just for future reference, you don't need to find a posting in order to send a private message. Just click "User CP", go down the list of options and select "Send New Message".

Or click "Other", select "Members List", select "Search" and enter the id you want to contact, then select "Email" or "Send PM".
Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dragracer_Art
The problems are not somuch with the car... as they are with the idiots that have been working on it.

The balancer wobble is a common problem. The inner hub and outer ring are not bonded properly. The hub stays tight to the crank and spins true, but the outer ring will wobble.
I had this same problem on my '05 and replaced it with an SFI approved aftermarket balancer. I did the job myself and it wasn't a big deal. My crank bolt was plenty tight. The problem was the balancer.

That said... If I had all the problems you had with your car, I would have declared it a lemon and dumped it for another car.
This has happened to me in the past with previous cars. So called mechanics try to fix one problem and you end up with 2 other problems.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:53 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

+1 on this advice. Dont give the dealer any more business.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:56 PM
06 C6 vert
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vindicator
Sorry you are going through this. Its another example of how WE have to take responsiblilty for who we take our car to for service.
My local chevy dealer doesn t sell or service many corvettes so I don t go there even though its considered a good dealer. I go fifty miles away to a dealer that services a lot of Vettes and has two Techs that only work on Vettes. I think they know these cars and do it right the first time. Like anything, we have to check it out. good idea, trade it now for a new one . good luck
Very good advice. I do the same thing. I drive 20 miles to a great Chevy dealer that has the best Vette tech in the County. He works on Chuck Yeagers old C4 also. I get to talk directly to the tech every time I go in. No grey areas with repairs whatsoever. They have done 2 balancers for me under warr over 40K miles.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:42 PM
jwswanson
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS WON
What are the signs of a worn out clutch? I have never had one go out on me.
I didn't know it was almost worn out until it was replaced. The mechanic told me it was worn badly. There was a service bulletin for a situation where the clutch pedal would remain on the floor after shifting at high rpm. That happened to me a couple of times so I took it in. Some part was malfunctioning resulting the excess wear but they replaced several parts per the bulletin.

John
Old 07-11-2012, 10:48 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

I didn't know it was almost worn out until it was replaced. The mechanic told me it was worn badly. There was a service bulletin for a situation where the clutch pedal would remain on the floor after shifting at high rpm. That happened to me a couple of times so I took it in. Some part was malfunctioning resulting the excess wear but they replaced several parts per the bulletin.

John
I thought when clutch went out you could not get into any gear to get car to move.
grinding gears.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:38 AM
stivette
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

Ahhhh gotta love the '05s... I FEEL your pain right now as well. The harmonic balancer backed off at 9900 miles and they replaced the bolt with the updated version 4 years ago. Now with 57,000 miles, I took my car in because the belt was squeeling ear piercingly loud. Turns out the harmonic balancer was all over the place. Luckily for the first time since ive owned the car the "Basic Guard" GMPP warranty i purchased came in handy, and the dealer replaced it with a $50 deductible. I picked my car up the next day and all seemed well until 4 days later. At 90 mph my new harmonic balancer backed itself all the way off... The sound of the nose of your crank grinding against the harmonic balancer is the worst noise you can hear at 90 mph. I shut down the car immediately and pulled over. Opened the hood and there was nothing but oil and metal chunks and shavings everywhere. So, I towed it to the dealer and realized as it was going up on the tow truck the front sway bar was hanging down in the front... They didn't put my car back together... AT ALL. After threatening the dealer to get a lawyer and sue the you know what out of them for the terrible repair work they replaced the balancer again, and replaced everything under the hood. I was two seconds away from making them buy the damn car from me. I just picked the car up today and I'm still indecisive about what has happened and whether there was further damage I don't know about that may show up later. On to your car, to be completely honest I'd sell it or turn it into a race car if I were you... Thats what I'm contemplating doing as I type this. They're 05s so chances are we will continue seeing issues as time goes along, so why not replace with all aftermarket?!
Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Seth Isaacks
Ahhhh gotta love the '05s... I FEEL your pain right now as well. The harmonic balancer backed off at 9900 miles and they replaced the bolt with the updated version 4 years ago. Now with 57,000 miles, I took my car in because the belt was squeeling ear piercingly loud. Turns out the harmonic balancer was all over the place. Luckily for the first time since ive owned the car the "Basic Guard" GMPP warranty i purchased came in handy, and the dealer replaced it with a $50 deductible. I picked my car up the next day and all seemed well until 4 days later. At 90 mph my new harmonic balancer backed itself all the way off... The sound of the nose of your crank grinding against the harmonic balancer is the worst noise you can hear at 90 mph. I shut down the car immediately and pulled over. Opened the hood and there was nothing but oil and metal chunks and shavings everywhere. So, I towed it to the dealer and realized as it was going up on the tow truck the front sway bar was hanging down in the front... They didn't put my car back together... AT ALL. After threatening the dealer to get a lawyer and sue the you know what out of them for the terrible repair work they replaced the balancer again, and replaced everything under the hood. I was two seconds away from making them buy the damn car from me. I just picked the car up today and I'm still indecisive about what has happened and whether there was further damage I don't know about that may show up later. On to your car, to be completely honest I'd sell it or turn it into a race car if I were you... Thats what I'm contemplating doing as I type this. They're 05s so chances are we will continue seeing issues as time goes along, so why not replace with all aftermarket?!
The best thing to do is drive it more then you will find out if they fixed it right unless there is an engineering problem.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:17 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Lurking!

Originally Posted by LS WON
The best thing to do is drive it more then you will find out if they fixed it right unless there is an engineering problem.
YOU ALWAYS LURKING ! That is an art!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

ATI all the way...

Get notified of new replies

To Harmonic Balancer failed again after 4,000 miles!

Old 07-12-2012, 10:51 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Oh yea, trade it in on a C7 so you can go through yet another set of new car introduction problems. It took GM four years to correct most of the C6 introduction problems, although short-lived glove box latches, waterpumps and suspension end links still haven't been addressed.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
Oh yea, trade it in on a C7 so you can go through yet another set of new car introduction problems. It took GM four years to correct most of the C6 introduction problems, although short-lived glove box latches, waterpumps and suspension end links still haven't been addressed.
Don't forget the harmonic balancer.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:17 AM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by laconiajack
And gosh, while we're dreaming . . . Maybe a redesign of the hydraulic clutch system? I mean, I hate to cut into the sale of Walmart syringes and DOT 4 fluid, but . . .

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer failed again after 4,000 miles!