C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stereotypes regarding Vette ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 04:31 PM
geewez
Melting Slicks

Received 224 Likes on 118 Posts

I use to wonder why it always seemed like only old, balding and over weight guys were driving Corvettes, now I am one....
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM
9UnderPar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in small town of about 6,000 people and there are not many corvettes around. I walked into the gas station one morning before work and a bunch of contractors and older retirees hangout there and have coffee. (Note i am 27) So i am sure they think i look like a punk even though i am in a shirt and tie on my way to work. Anyways I was walking out and one of the guys says "that your corvette" and i said yes. And he replies with " i have a mustang that would leave you in the dust " i said "ok" and walked out.
The next day i see him driving a late 90's mustang.

The one thing that does bother me is people think i am loaded or made of money because i have my car. They dont understand all of the things i have had to give up and the saving i had to do to get it.

In the end i agree with everyone else for every bad comment i get 10 good ones.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by d-rockRN
Do any fellow corvette owners experience some type of stereotyping regarding ownership of a corvette? I know some of its playful such as "Does the corvette compensate for something else" or anything along the chick magnet lines (truth be told it really does perform as one ). But I am more concerned with people treating you in a more negatively way. I had some guy (this MF was scary looking and very dirty) bang on my driver window as Im at a stop light asking me for money, when I said no (I rarely carry cash) he puts his face next to the window and says "you're going to hell, people like you always gots some money".

Another example, called a local tire shop to get a quote (wasnt near a comp) asked what car it was he said he couldnt get the hankooks that i wanted but offered the cheapest kuhmohs for 1200 including installation, I called the next day using a different # after looking at tire rack, told him i was buying tires for my brother for his birthday didnt know what the car was but gave him the same exact specs and the price came out to 960 with installation (I dont mind spending money but I am not going to overpay when I know im being rectally assaulted).

My GF and I went out for dinner a few weeks back, waiting for valet to bring the car back, this ricer kid comes makes his way towards me and says corvette owner huh, yeah I replied, as my car keys were being handed to me, he came back with "corvette is a poor mans ferrari huh" I said to him "Dude, your driving a Hyundai" and left it at that and drove off. I dont know if its because he was trying to embarrass me in front of my GF or if he was truly just an idiot looking to get a rise out of me.

So do any of you have anything similar or people treat you differently based on what you drive? I had never encountered anything like this when I was in college driving my POS eclipse, and no I wasnt showing off or bragging in any of these situations.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Keppler
Never experienced any of that in 14 years of driving vettes other than a few ricer's trying to get me to street race, which I always ignore.

Just the opposite I get a lot of compliments on the GS, mostly while filling up at gas stations.
It's been 40 some years for me but the results are the same.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:49 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

Unfortunately it's a sign of the times. Especially the class warfare that is presently encouraged by Washington. If you are rich it's because you took the money from the poor. So having a vette means you're rich, ergo you did it on the back of the poor. Then again, how can you take from the poor if they have nothing to give? Nothing makes sense anymore. Maybe we all should not work and let big government take care of us. Then we could all be miserable together. Argh!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:01 PM
Jp23rockstar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Teenagers- Like Corvettes, unless their a ricer
Old Men- Like Corvettes
Old Women- Bitter
Young Women- Like Corvettes
Young Men- Like Corvettes

The only stereotypes I hear are on this forum. Granted I don't own a corvette, I just think these stereotypes are blown out of proportion.
At the end of the day these comments stem from jealousy.
Reason being they have no money and you do so they make you look like the bad guy.
I hope in my twenties I can own the American icon.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 123 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Originally Posted by rcallen484
Harmon Kardon is a stereo type. You, on the other hand, are apparently a balding, somewhat portly, middle aged white guy in the midst of a mid life crisis.
You caught that! I did it on purpose to see if anyone would make a snarky comment Well done
Old 07-09-2012, 05:12 PM
fast-vette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 07-09-2012, 05:14 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator
You caught that! I did it on purpose to see if anyone would make a snarky comment Well done
It's a dirty job, but someone's got to do it.
I prefer the term, "smart azz". Thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 PM
o_town_racer
Racer

What I see most often is people acting like fools on the road just because you're driving a nice Vette.....they have to fly past you or rev their motors, etc. I just ignore them. And if anyone makes a comment about me getting it for a mid-life crisis (I'm almost 48) I just tell the that this is my 2nd Vette and the first was was bought 13 yrs ago....so does that make 35 a mid-life crisis? I think not. What it means is having worked hard, saved up, and made a decision to buy the best bang for the buck automobile on the planet! A true super-car at Chevrolet prices.
Old 07-09-2012, 05:16 PM
2vette2
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 413 Likes on 189 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by fast-vette
We always have new members and what else is there to do on a slow day?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 PM
fast-vette
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2vette2
We always have new members and what else is there to do on a slow day?
You are right except, I was hoping for something more stimulating on a slow day i.e."How old were you when you bought your first vette" or "tell me what mods should I buy for my C-6" and the oldie but goodie " Why do 'vette owners typically wear gold jewelry around their neck and have hairy chest". And finally "is the 'vette a phalic symbol?"..geesh...
Old 07-09-2012, 06:10 PM
txsugar08
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sick
I'm not looking forward to hearing "Did mommy and daddy buy you that car?" when I buy mine in the fall.
I don't get how hard the concept is for some people that if you save up your money and work hard, you can afford a nice car. It doesn't have to be handed to you just because you're 20...

Who cares, as long as you know that you came about it honestly. Enjoy you car.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:16 PM
obxchartercaptain
Safety Car

Received 308 Likes on 198 Posts
FL Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by Zap City
Not this again.
I could care less what people think what kind of car I drive. Just because I wear lots of Gold Chains....Gym Suits and am somewhat balding with a belly doesn't make me a Corvette buyer.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:26 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,432 Likes on 2,268 Posts

I get thumbs up, waves and cell phones hanging out windows to take pics.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:39 PM
RonNSoCal
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I was surprised to read that Vettes sometimes get keyed. I was of the impression that our cars were loved by most people since they are made in the USA and not foreign. As a past BMW owner I always got comments about BMWs not having turn signals, etc. "Some A**hole in a BMW" is such a common refrain, I jokingly told my friends just after buying my first one how the car makes you feel like one!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:43 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

The only thing I can take away from the OP's story is he lets a valet park his vette. Man you got ***** I'll give you that. The amount of people I truly truly trust on this planet I can count on one hand & have fingers left over. I would put a .45 to my head & pull the trigger before I let some stranger/valet drive my Z.

Get notified of new replies

To stereotypes regarding Vette ownership?

Old 07-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I tell people I'm compensating for something all the time... but at the end of the day I still own a Corvette.

I'd rather have my magnetic ride control Ferrari borrowed. Plus I love the sound of my cross plane crank compared to a flat plane.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Thrill6
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People always remember the negative things that happen more vividly than the good things. We forget the good comments and dwell on the bad.

Just tonight a college age gentleman came by that was marketing window and door replacements, new roofs, etc. "because his company was doing work in the neighborhood" while I was outside working on the vette in the driveway. I told him I wasn't interesed at this time and as he was walking away he said, "really nice car". I thanked him and didn't think anything of it until I read this thread....
Old 07-09-2012, 09:12 PM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 9UnderPar
Anyways I was walking out and one of the guys says "that your corvette" and i said yes. And he replies with " i have a mustang that would leave you in the dust " i said "ok" and walked out.
Yep, I get that all the time from the nitrous/turbo 'Stang guys. When they ask if I wanna give it a go I always reply "yeah...roll-on, 3rd gear @ 95 mph, first one to 165 mph wins". The look on their face is priceless....

Quick Reply: stereotypes regarding Vette ownership?