C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little bummed out on new GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 03:07 AM
Drumhawk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Any idea how the paint chips got there? I doubt that your car left the factory that way.
I would demand those paint chip panels be repainted or give me another new car.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:58 AM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Ketchum
Try calling customer service to complain,discuss issues and see who answers the phone.
Oh,Oh! Now we will get the resident Customer Service forum person on here. They will tell the OP to let them know how the trip to the dealer turned out and keep them informed.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:30 AM
6893Vette
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear about your problems. Hopefully these are all that you have and can run trouble free after this. GS seems like a good balance of performance and drive ability. Good luck.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:34 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

On the upside you have someone you know you can turn to. The rest will work itself out. Congrats on the new GS.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:46 AM
twfreightman
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Drumhawk
I would demand those paint chip panels be repainted or give me another new car.
I have no idea how they got there. I inspected the car very carefully. However, it was outside in the sun when I picked it up. When I got it home and pulled in under the artificial light, I noticed it.... right in the middle of the hood. Called the dealer back immediately and told them. They were helpful enough. Even agreed to pay for it if I preferred to use my own local body shop. So I did. They wet sanded the hood until it is ALMOST gone (the scratch that is!). I am the only person that could find it now and I really struggle to do so. They did offer to paint the hood. But it would have been a bigger risk (matching crystal red) than just buffing of the factory paint. As I said, this stuff is not a huge issue. It is all fixable. Just a little disappointing. I will get over it.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:28 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

In 1984 I purchased a brand new GMC pickup. Maxed out Sierra. Took delivery on a rainy afternoon and noitced that the oil pressure guauge was pegged at zero. Salesman said probably just a loose wire, so off I drove. Ten miles later, overheating and knocling from the engine. Pulled into a Shell station and put 6 quarts in the engine!!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Speedlink,you missed the reason. Who they are,where they are and how little they'll do for you is the reason I mentioned calling them. For some reason dealer trades were often more troublesome then vehicles on the lot.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Zap City
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 123 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Sorry to hear of your woes. I've had my 12 GS vert for nearly 4 weeks and 950 miles. Aside from a door sill trim plate and a key fob issue that was likely caused by interference from my phone, the car has been flawless. The trim plate which was coming unglued was replaced by the dealer who happened to have one in stock. I encourage you to remain optimistic that the dealer will get it straightened out. I do appreciate your comments regarding the move from the GS to the Z. I second guessed myself a bit about not going for the Z, but as my car is breaking in, it certainly is feeling stronger every day. As far as the ride, I agree in spades about the handling. Never had a car feel so glued to the road- especially in hard cornering. Do you have F55? I'm amazed at how well it works. Hang in there and keep the faith it will all get straightened out to your satisfaction.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:51 AM
kp
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by twfreightman
I have no idea how they got there. I inspected the car very carefully. However, it was outside in the sun when I picked it up. When I got it home and pulled in under the artificial light, I noticed it.... right in the middle of the hood. Called the dealer back immediately and told them. They were helpful enough. Even agreed to pay for it if I preferred to use my own local body shop. So I did. They wet sanded the hood until it is ALMOST gone (the scratch that is!). I am the only person that could find it now and I really struggle to do so. They did offer to paint the hood. But it would have been a bigger risk (matching crystal red) than just buffing of the factory paint. As I said, this stuff is not a huge issue. It is all fixable. Just a little disappointing. I will get over it.
Sometimes a known, small scratch can be less noticeable than a hood repaint/fender blend for sure. I always take the lesser of two evils myself, if you plan on driving the car a lot you will forget about that scratch soon enough.

Took my wife to lunch yesterday and she wanted to go to this little restaurant with a vette-killing dip and 45 degree incline driveway. I was going to say no but went in anyhow and scraped up the splitter pretty good. It was going to happen sooner or later, at least I got some sympathy out of it, if I would avoided it because of the car I would never hear the end of it lol.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:09 AM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

chances are it was not bowling green, how many miles were on the car when you bought it?
Old 06-28-2012, 12:34 PM
N2TU
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 105 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by Goatdad
Dont let the little thing ruin your fun.
Hope all the bugs are worked out soon

A week from now, you be in pfhat city...and loving every minute of your new car...

Best of luck....

Old 06-28-2012, 12:44 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Honestly, I cannot tell much seat of the pants difference. I might hammer away from a stop light or nail it down an exit ramp once and a while if nobody is around, and I don't see much difference. If I was going to the track every weekend, different story. The big deal for me was I wanted the removable top back again and I thought the Z06 had a pretty harsh ride for cruising around. I thought the GS would be perfect for what I liked in the car. And it is. But I will trade or sell the car if the problems don't stop soon. And... I will get another one.

The GS is the best model for all around performance, every day driving. And, you can take the top off. And, no worries about blowing your motor.

Your issues are minor. And, easily corrected. Good Luck. Keep us posted.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:41 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Just brought home my new 2012 GS 3LT manual coupe. This makes my 3rd C6 after a 2007 3LT automatic coupe and 2009 3LZ Z06.

So far I have found a couple of chips that were painted over, discovered that my horn was dead, and just found out my On Star was dead and I need a new VCIM. My first 2 C6's were great. I am a little concerned about QC on my 2012 though. My local dealer is taking care of things in good order (even though I did not buy it from them), but.... just a little bummed.

I would think Bowling Green would have processes to check this electrical stuff before it left the factory. I wonder if lightning could have messed with this electrical stuff this way after it got to the dealer's lot?

Besides those little irritants, I love the looks of the car, the way the car rides and handles, the removable top, the improved stereo and the seat improvements. And for me, the LS3 with dual mode exhaust is more than I ever need.

I just hate the fact that now I know my local Chevy service manager so well I can tell you about his vacation and what his kids names are. Thankfully, he is a really nice and very helpful guy.
This is my third vette as well and I can tell you that the 2010+ vehicles were not built as well as my 2005. I never had a single issue with my 2005, but my GS has been to the dealership for minor warranty fixes three times now. In fact, It's in the shop right now because the drivers door is not opening, but the windows index like normal. I love Corvettes and the GS looks gorgeous, but their QC has really fallen off.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:40 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I'd be a little upset. But, congratulations.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:20 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Those issues could have been caused by original dealer. As somebody said, jumping a car improperly can cause that and more. And no doubt the paint damage was caused outside the factory. How many miles on the car when you got it? The good news is your dealer stepped up to the plate, and that's what ultimately matters. But I'd definitely be frustrated as hell too. My car only had a defect I decided to live with for the time being, and it's the driver's door window indexing too high. It was creaking against one of the top's screws in the window channel. Installed foam tape, but after 1K miles it probably wore thru, and started creaking again. Will have to deal with that sooner or later, but don't want my door panel raped now . So will live with it for a while. Will look for rubber, rather than foam one of these days. Also found one of the roof front pin inserts broken inside, but will order one. Curiously, found one of the rear pins with TWO plastic washers, rather than one. Thought it was odd, but maybe normal. Other than that, everything's great. It's a fantastic car. And I also thought about the Z, but just the stiffer ride was a deal-breaker for my wife, plus much prefer the longer fuel range and cheaper insurance. And just like the OP, 436 HP is way more than I'll ever need, so no regrets. Good day.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:37 PM
Ramblin On
Instructor

[QUOTE=twfreightman;1581178155
Besides those little irritants, I love the looks of the car, the way the car rides and handles, the removable top, the improved stereo and the seat improvements. And for me, the LS3 with dual mode exhaust is more than I ever need.

I just hate the fact that now I know my local Chevy service manager so well I can tell you about his vacation and what his kids names are. Thankfully, he is a really nice and very helpful guy.[/QUOTE]

I had an electrical gremlin in my 2011 coupe. I am pleased to report that my dealer was persistent is tracking down the problem and fixing it.

Nice service writer and manager. They worked diligently on this problem along with GM's Tech Center.

I also got to know the service staff and have been impressed with them.

I am so happy with the car and the service staff - Hope you have as good an experience.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:16 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 89L98
The GS is the best model for all around performance, every day driving. And, you can take the top off. And, no worries about blowing your motor.

Your issues are minor. And, easily corrected. Good Luck. Keep us posted.
Only if you like the slowest Corvette made today. Get real!
Old 06-28-2012, 07:31 PM
RocketJ
Intermediate

I'm getting more concerned as time goes on about GM quality. I have a 2010 Callaway GS and the front tires were shot after 10,000 miles due to misalignment at the factory. The same thing happened to me on my 2003 coupe. Also a good friend had the same problem on his 2008 ZO6. My recommendation to anyone buying a new Vette, take it to a reputable shop and have a all wheel alignment done. Believe me it will be money well spent.

RocketJ

Quick Reply: A little bummed out on new GS