C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Vette owners purchase a Volt???

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 03:32 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by c6vette
I have 9000 miles on my Volt(2012) since august 2011. So far I have used 30 gallons of gas. (15 of the 30 were put in the tank by the dealer). That's 300 MPG! Even with the high price of electric in NY my electric bill has increased by less than $50 per month.
Another good thing is that I put a little less miles on the Vette.(05 with 45000 miles to date)
I get 19 MPG city, 29 Hiway on my 13 year old Mercedes. Driving that same 9,000 miles, in the city, would cost me $150 a month in gasoline(0 in electricity). Tell me where I can buy a Volt for $100 a month($150 gasoline -$50 in electricity).

If you say my Mercedes is an old car, it is, but if I buy a new Cruze for $10,000 less then a Volt, and get 30 MPG in town then it would cost me around $85 a month in gasoline. How long will it take you to pay off the additional $10,000 in the purchase price of the Volt over the Cruze if you are only saving $35 a month($85 gasoline -$50 electricity)?
Old 06-29-2012, 04:00 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 9000 miles on my Volt(2012) since august 2011. So far I have used 30 gallons of gas. (15 of the 30 were put in the tank by the dealer). That's 300 MPG! Even with the high price of electric in NY my electric bill has increased by less than $50 per month.
Another good thing is that I put a little less miles on the Vette.(05 with 45000 miles to date)
Old 06-29-2012, 07:25 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

And a Cruze would use about 300 gallons or $1k or so. Subtract $600 a year in electric and you saved $400 a year. 20 years will be around $10-12k, still another 15-20 years to go.

Will the batteries make it 10 years? Figure $5-10k to replace them. Where will the old batteries go? Will it be worth spending $5-10k on a new battery for a car that will probably be worth about $3-5k at that time? The cars will probably be junked when their batteries die out of warranty.

I'm also sure the power grid will not go out any time soon, not like it has in the past.

Relax though, it is your choice. The main reason why I wouldn't buy a Volt is because the US taxpayer (the 50% of legal Americans) is paying $7500 of your bill. I'm all for new technology providing others that don't really want it don't have to pay for it.

Last edited by phileaglesfan; 06-29-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:39 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
Will the batteries make it 10 years? Figure $5-10k to replace them. Where will the old batteries go? Will it be worth spending $5-10k on a new battery for a car that will probably be worth about $3-5k at that time? The cars will probably be junked when their batteries die out of warranty.

Relax though, it is your choice. The main reason why I wouldn't buy a Volt is because the US taxpayer (the 50% of legal Americans) is paying $7500 of your bill. I'm all for new technology providing others that don't really want it don't have to pay for it.
The science suggests that over many years the battery will degrade to some extent. But remember a few things. The battery only discharges about 70% to encourage its longevity. In the future this residual could certainly be accessed if desired via a software upgrade. Secondly, in the future like the Prius now, there may well be many used but serviceable batteries available from wrecks and such. There have been many more Prius wrecks than there have been dead batteries, even going back 14 years now. So for typically a lot less than $1000 off of eBay, there could be many more battery years ahead for the car. And lastly don't forget the difference with pure EV's. At 10 or any number of years, battery or no battery, the Volt is still a fully functioning automobile.

And this tax credit reduces the buyers taxes by up to $7500. We other taxpayers don't pay more. As it stands now the buyers don't get any rebate check.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:58 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Nah, I have zero interest in a Volt.

If I wanted a little car with great mileage, I'd get a Cruze (actually pretty good looking little car).
Old 06-30-2012, 12:23 AM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoonose

And this tax credit reduces the buyers taxes by up to $7500. We other taxpayers don't pay more. As it stands now the buyers don't get any rebate check.
Reducing the taxes reduces the revenue to our country which causes increase in taxes in other areas or decreased benefits to make up for it. Any kind of deduction or credits is paid by all.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:46 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Reducing the taxes reduces the revenue to our country which causes increase in taxes in other areas or decreased benefits to make up for it. Any kind of deduction or credits is paid by all.
The typical Volt buyer is well off @$170K income and pays a lot of Federal Income tax. It seems that most here forget that we strive to lower taxes. And we especially don't like raising them on the rich.

If you follow the movement of our moneys, the endpoint of most Federal Income Tax Credits is that our National Debt is simply not reduced by that amount. It does not increase taxes anywhere.

It takes time and effort to finally realize that our Federal taxes sent in are simply destroyed and cease to exist at the Federal level. And that subsequent Federal spending generally does not use that tax money, but creates new money by that act of spending. This has only applied since the Nixon years, and does not apply to states and their taxes. It also might not apply to some earmarked Federal programs like the highway fund, which are specifically separate from the general fund.

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-.../dp/1845429419

If in the future we ever intend to totally pay off our National Debt, then eventually that would have to be made up. And I'm sure at that juncture we could find plenty of rich folks to kick some more in. But we will never go that route, and our National Debt will continue to grow with our overall economy.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:15 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cor CP 21
good lord.. what kind of job do you have?
An Old Money job.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:23 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Depends a heck of a lot on the neighborhood.
I wouldn't live in any neighborhood I couldn't walk through.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:27 PM
WarDriver
Melting Slicks

I would buy a Volt under the right circumstances. My commute is currently 16 miles each way - well within electric-only range, especially if I could con my employer into letting me recharge while I'm at work. The main issue right now is price: call me when the price drops to $20,000.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:45 PM
Gearhead SS
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 139 Posts

I must say it isn't even on my consideration shopping list. It sounds like you have not driven it more than 40 miles much. The thrill goes right out the window when the 83 hp motor does all the work. I would probably get a loaded Cruze for 1/2 the price and worry about getting only 40mpg on the highway which is more than the Volt gets after about 40 min on the highway. Good luck with it though.
From what I undersand, the Volt's engine does not power the car. It only recharges the batteries. It's essentially a generator for the batteries.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 PM
forg0tmypen
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mau
With all those vehicles, I think you are doing your part for the economy!
He is, for the Canadian economy...
Old 06-30-2012, 02:43 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WarDriver
I would buy a Volt under the right circumstances. My commute is currently 16 miles each way - well within electric-only range, especially if I could con my employer into letting me recharge while I'm at work. The main issue right now is price: call me when the price drops to $20,000.
Less than $1 worth of juice to go 16 miles. Even assuming a high rate on your electricity.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Hoonose
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gearhead SS
From what I undersand, the Volt's engine does not power the car. It only recharges the batteries. It's essentially a generator for the batteries.
The gas motor actually can power the car to some extent under special circumstances, and a subject of controversy awhile back. But generally your description is correct.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:16 AM
tambeng
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just traded it in my Camry Hybrid with a 2012 Volt. I love it.

I am fully aware that I will not getting my money back for driving a Volt since my Camry Hybrid already gave me 40 mpg.

I bought it because I love the technology and how it is super quiet, very comfy and nicely equipped for my commute (40 miles). It does feel luxurious inside compares to other small electric cars out there. I think it even has a better interior than my 2011 Grandsport.

So far, I have about 1400 miles on the car using only 3.5 gallons of gasoline. My lifetime mpg is 450 mpg :-)

On the weekend I drive and enjoy my Grandsport. On weekdays, I can commute more comfortably on my Volt.

I love both cars.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:25 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

I wonder why the Volt has such a low range though? I think they would have a much larger market if they increased the range to 100 miles. You will soon be able to buy the new Tesla Model S sedan and their top level model offers a range of 300 miles on it's battery! Does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds too! If that's the future of the electric car, sign me up!! The Tesla is not insanely priced too (starts at $49,900, which is about the same as other luxury sedans like the BMW 5 series)
Old 07-03-2012, 05:18 AM
tambeng
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
I wonder why the Volt has such a low range though? I think they would have a much larger market if they increased the range to 100 miles. You will soon be able to buy the new Tesla Model S sedan and their top level model offers a range of 300 miles on it's battery! Does 0-60 in 4.4 seconds too! If that's the future of the electric car, sign me up!! The Tesla is not insanely priced too (starts at $49,900, which is about the same as other luxury sedans like the BMW 5 series)
I was thinking of Tesla S as well but their starting model has interesting fact:
1. Cost $49900 but that is after federal tax rebate of $7500
2. It is not 4.4 sec 0 to 60 but the base model is 6.5. The 4.4 sec starting price is $84900.
3. The base model does 160 miles if you do 55 mph, after that you are dead on the water (this should be enough though for most people unless you are planning to do a road trip) because it does not have an engine unlike Volt to extend your range.

http://www.teslamotors.com/models/options

I agree though that the future for sport car might have some electric component on it shown by Audi during the 24 hours Le Mans:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-57...victory-twice/

In the meantime I love the roar of my V8 with the dual exhaust

Last edited by tambeng; 07-03-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Vette owners purchase a Volt???

Old 07-19-2012, 04:47 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Offering more then one choice of fuel..
*than not then

Than is a comparative, then indicates sequence.

And I suggest you stop listening to so much Rush Limbaugh. Your stupidity is growing ... and showing.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

I'm glad to find this thread (except for all the off topic politics sh*t). My wife and I are considering purchasing a Volt. From the informed responses--people who have actually driven or purchased a Volt--the reviews seem positive. Perhaps this is my chance to add some cyber gray to my atomic orange.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:57 PM
RLove
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette02035
Let's face it boys. The Corvette is not a necessity nor is the Volt. I choose to own both. Each for a different reason. 70 MPG aint too shabby. If I hang within 50 miles I buy 0 gas. The fun is in Chevy telling the f''''''' oil suppliers where to go and what they can do with their inflated prices. What could be better than blowing the doors off a foreign car in my Cyber Grey Corvette and driving past a gas station in my Cyber Grey Volt?
There you go. +1

Quick Reply: Any Vette owners purchase a Volt???