C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering a 2008 Corvette, How good is it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
vatakle
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Random84

Everyone is asking more because it's "the season," but in my opinion any clean 2008 with 25,000 miles is going to be $32K out the door, on a good day IMHO. Not saying it won't sell - just that *I* would keep looking: There are just too many other cars out there.

OP, check autotrader.com and find the car you want: you'll also get a better selection of asking prices (and remember that EVERYTHING is negotiable). What you save in purchase price will easily cover an airline ticket and/or hotel costs for that perfect, low-mile Corvette.

Even i felt the 2008 is a little over priced. I have my eyes on this for past 15 days and it isn't sold yet. I do hope they are eager to sell it so i can get it for a good deal.

I checked autotrader, yahoo autos. Most 2006 models are going for $30k-$33k while 2008 are from $35k-$40k. It is mostly consistent in my area and around.

I am not going to give up easily for sure. Will haggle as much as possible.

Originally Posted by designerRob
Good luck. I hope you get a great one. The C6 is an awesome ride.
Thanks for the wishes. I do hope i get one soon.
Old 06-25-2012, 02:49 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by bud miller
i've had 4 vettes in the last 10 yrs..01 z ,04z 06z, and currently an 09 c6 z51 etc.. never had a pully wobble...!!! in any of um..
That's great! I've had 2 Vettes in the past. 8 years and it's happened on both of them 99 coupe and my current 06 coupe. Luck of the draw I guess.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM
*Ragin Cajun*
Racer

I bought my 08 with nav and NPP plus Z51 for $36k. It only had 3200 miles on it. You should get the dealer down on price. Ask if its certified or can be. If it can, that gives you another 12k miles and a year of warranty plus free maintenance for 2 years. I added GMPP to mine to I have 6 years and 60k miles of warranty on an 08. I'm happy with that.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:38 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Get with the Forum dealers for a base 1lt 2012 left on the lot or order a 1lt 2013 if the price is right as we enjoy daily driving our 09 Coupe
Old 06-25-2012, 04:09 PM
carl3989
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 549 Likes on 263 Posts
USN

I got my 08 last August and wouldn't want any other due to LS3 motor, steering improvements. I also took out the GMPP extended warranty. That covered my clutch master cylinder which the GM Certified preowned warranty would not. You pay more for a car from GM Certified but I thought the peace of mind worth it.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:18 PM
vatakle
Racer

Originally Posted by *Ragin Cajun*
I bought my 08 with nav and NPP plus Z51 for $36k. It only had 3200 miles on it. You should get the dealer down on price. Ask if its certified or can be. If it can, that gives you another 12k miles and a year of warranty plus free maintenance for 2 years. I added GMPP to mine to I have 6 years and 60k miles of warranty on an 08. I'm happy with that.
This car has GM warranty of 5 years/ 100k miles which expires on 4/16/2013. It is Certified.

Dealer is also offering 12 months/12k miles warranty from their side. Also 24 hour road assistance, 6-month on star and 6 month XM Radio.

I am planning to get additional warranty of 2 or 3 years so as to extend piece of mind.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:05 PM
wildbadbill
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in March 2012 I bought mine 2008 3LT vette from the guy in Alabama-I went there because the car is black,but it has two tone interior (cashmere/black) and cashmere carpets.I can't drive in the black/ebony interior,it's depressing and "flat" looking to me IMHO.
The trim is outstanding (console black cf mmitation looks awesome!) and actually feels 'luxurious " to me.I'd prefer not to go with the base trim.HUD is a must!
Anyway,drove it 800 miles back to Houston mostly in SEVERE rain to the point of most cars pulling over-it was during the time of tornadoes thru Alabama!The car performed great and had a steady,comfortable feel all the way.
I've owned over 30 cars in 30 years in USA including three corvettes and this is the best one.
Good luck bro......
Old 06-25-2012, 09:45 PM
Stockcar Axeman
Pro

I DD my 07 in the Seattle area and the car does just fine in the rain. I replaced the tires with Michelin A/S. They made a big difference. The only other bad deal is the stock stereo. I have the Bose/Nav and it get's me by but it will be getting replaced after the race season. The car makes a great DD. Get one and the only regret will be that you didn't get one sooner! Enjoy!
Old 06-25-2012, 09:53 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

Have an 08 JSB vert 6sp. It is a joy to drive and has been extremely reliable.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:14 PM
BayouCountry
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Have them throw in new tires. Get the out-the-door price. And ride, ride, ride!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:28 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

2008 is a great year. Do you have the dealer's website? We can practically tell what options?

Does it have heated seats, Heads up display, NAV, is the Corvette lettering on the dash in front of the pax stitched, single roof or dual (painted and clear) roofs. Sounds like comp grey wheels.

Last year I traded in my 08 C6 for $33k, they later sold it for $36k. That car had a $63k sticker. $32k for an 08 now is about right.

Some things to watch.
The balancer, you will notice it wobbling on the front of the engine and/or the fan belt will seem to squeal. Rear end may clatter in slow turns which could be the fluid. There is a TSB out there about a noisy rear end, GM has a new fluid that seems to take care of it. Engine oil pan for "sweating". Won't drip on the ground but will be stained with oil. Mine happened at 31k. My balancer was still good when I traded it in.

Check tire condition/wear as they can be expensive. For an 08 you are looking at around $900-1000 for a set of non runflats, up to $1600 for runflats.

Daily driver? As long as you don't need to open your doors wide open as they are long. Also need decent weather. Even with the A/S ZP tires the C6 is low to the ground so it doesn't like much snow. Tires are also wide and the car is relatively light, not the best thing for snow.

Extended warranty? My guess is that it is passed its 3 year warranty period which means it will be expensive to extend it.

Another possible issue is the battery. It may have been replaced as the original doesn't seem to last that long. Mine was still alive at 40 months old though.

Check insurance. Rates are usually low for a sports car but it depends on your location/driving record.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 PM
gilbybarr
Le Mans Master

Received 1,892 Likes on 797 Posts

My 2008 (bought new in fall 2007) has been absolutely perfect. I have about 8,500 miles on it.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:43 AM
shift
Instructor

price is probably about right considering its from a dealer and youre paying fees/taxes etc. You should try to get it down though, low 30's from a dealer out the door would be good (with warranty etc).

I just paid 28k for my 08 LT1 C6 a couple months ago, but that was from a private individual, and we dont pay sales tax on private purchases in AZ. cheapest i saw from a dealer was 33k plus taxes and fees.

i wanted an 08 because it is still fairly new, has the LS3 and some upgrades in the drivetrain i believe.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:26 AM
livette
Burning Brakes

I have a 2008 JSB coupe. glass roof, Z51, NPP, 3LT, Nav, polished Gumbys. I bought it in Feb 10 with 18K miles it was a CPO for $36,400. It has been a great car. Fun to drive. I decided aginst the GMMP given how reliable they are. This year I changed the battery and will need tires soon. It has 22,000 miles on it.
Good luck.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:40 AM
lennieorr
Advanced

I bought a used 08 last year. Very nice car to drive with good gas milage. The only down side is it is the least reliable car I have ever owned. In one year I have had the transmission rebuilt, water pump replaced, oil pan gasket replaced, and wiring issues in the seat. Car had about 36,000 miles on it when I purchased it.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:50 PM
vatakle
Racer

Originally Posted by wildbadbill
i
Anyway,drove it 800 miles back to Houston mostly in SEVERE rain to the point of most cars pulling over-it was during the time of tornadoes thru Alabama!The car performed great and had a steady,comfortable feel all the way.
I've owned over 30 cars in 30 years in USA including three corvettes and this is the best one.
Good luck bro......
Good to hear it handled good. One must be careful while driving but if the car is steady and solid it makes driving easier.

Originally Posted by Stockcar Axeman
I DD my 07 in the Seattle area and the car does just fine in the rain. I replaced the tires with Michelin A/S. They made a big difference. The only other bad deal is the stock stereo. I have the Bose/Nav and it get's me by but it will be getting replaced after the race season. The car makes a great DD. Get one and the only regret will be that you didn't get one sooner! Enjoy!
This one seem to have Goodyear Eagle F1 tires. I don't know how good are they but the condition was pretty good with deep threads.

Originally Posted by c6miller
Have an 08 JSB vert 6sp. It is a joy to drive and has been extremely reliable.
Thanks. Good to hear that.

Originally Posted by blaforce
Have them throw in new tires. Get the out-the-door price. And ride, ride, ride!
Tires look good. I am in touch with sales person with the price. Hope we can agree on something so i can take it home.

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
2008 is a great year. Do you have the dealer's website? We can practically tell what options?

Does it have heated seats, Heads up display, NAV, is the Corvette lettering on the dash in front of the pax stitched, single roof or dual (painted and clear) roofs. Sounds like comp grey wheels.

Last year I traded in my 08 C6 for $33k, they later sold it for $36k. That car had a $63k sticker. $32k for an 08 now is about right.

Some things to watch.
The balancer, you will notice it wobbling on the front of the engine and/or the fan belt will seem to squeal. Rear end may clatter in slow turns which could be the fluid. There is a TSB out there about a noisy rear end, GM has a new fluid that seems to take care of it. Engine oil pan for "sweating". Won't drip on the ground but will be stained with oil. Mine happened at 31k. My balancer was still good when I traded it in.

Check tire condition/wear as they can be expensive. For an 08 you are looking at around $900-1000 for a set of non runflats, up to $1600 for runflats.

Daily driver? As long as you don't need to open your doors wide open as they are long. Also need decent weather. Even with the A/S ZP tires the C6 is low to the ground so it doesn't like much snow. Tires are also wide and the car is relatively light, not the best thing for snow.

Extended warranty? My guess is that it is passed its 3 year warranty period which means it will be expensive to extend it.

Another possible issue is the battery. It may have been replaced as the original doesn't seem to last that long. Mine was still alive at 40 months old though.

Check insurance. Rates are usually low for a sports car but it depends on your location/driving record.
Here is the link for the car i am considering. Can't see any options you mentioned.

http://chevyworld.com/preowned-inven...385121522.aspx

This car will never see a snow. It will see rain though. The freeways have been rebuilt recently so that shouldn't be any issue and by the time rain comes in nov/dec the roads would have worn out sufficiently to provide some traction in rain.

Originally Posted by gilbybarr
My 2008 (bought new in fall 2007) has been absolutely perfect. I have about 8,500 miles on it.
8500 miles is like a virgin car

You need to drive it more.

Originally Posted by shift
price is probably about right considering its from a dealer and youre paying fees/taxes etc. You should try to get it down though, low 30's from a dealer out the door would be good (with warranty etc).

I just paid 28k for my 08 LT1 C6 a couple months ago, but that was from a private individual, and we dont pay sales tax on private purchases in AZ. cheapest i saw from a dealer was 33k plus taxes and fees.

i wanted an 08 because it is still fairly new, has the LS3 and some upgrades in the drivetrain i believe.
I am trying my best to get it to low 30s. Lets see how it goes. Otherwise will wait a little and get another one. Don't want to go below 2008 year model.

Originally Posted by livette
I have a 2008 JSB coupe. glass roof, Z51, NPP, 3LT, Nav, polished Gumbys. I bought it in Feb 10 with 18K miles it was a CPO for $36,400. It has been a great car. Fun to drive. I decided aginst the GMMP given how reliable they are. This year I changed the battery and will need tires soon. It has 22,000 miles on it.
Good luck.
Nice, the one i am considering is not that loaded. I hope i am able to get extended warranty for less price just to get piece of mind.

Originally Posted by lennieorr
I bought a used 08 last year. Very nice car to drive with good gas milage. The only down side is it is the least reliable car I have ever owned. In one year I have had the transmission rebuilt, water pump replaced, oil pan gasket replaced, and wiring issues in the seat. Car had about 36,000 miles on it when I purchased it.
Oh, that is not good to hear. This one has 25k. I didn't hear/see anything abnormal as it is Certified. The Manager said, i will take care of the car if you face any issue while in warranty. That is a little confidence boosting.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:52 PM
mgoug
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JPJR
Ground clearance, tires are not cheap, and you'll worry where you park it.

Get notified of new replies

To Considering a 2008 Corvette, How good is it?

Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm on my 2nd one.1st one I bought new,no issues other then the usual Vette stuff,i.e. creaky roof and rear end noise both fixed under warranty.Much smoother and easier shifting than my 05 ever was.My 2nd one is also a 1LT AND SO far,no issues.9700 miles on it,headers and like that/Minor mods. It's fast as hell too in a quiet sort of way.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:10 PM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by vatakle
Oh, that is not good to hear. This one has 25k. I didn't hear/see anything abnormal as it is Certified. The Manager said, i will take care of the car if you face any issue while in warranty. That is a little confidence boosting.
Only thing they will fix is something breaks that is covered by the drivetrain warranty. An 08 is past the 3 year/36K mile warranty.

I looked at the car on the link you posted. Looks good but if you ever plan to do any performance mods with the car the NPP exhaust would have been good to have.

For a striped 08 with 25K miles I would think their current offering pricing is a tad high.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought my 2008 coupe auto around this time last year, it had 2,500 miles on it and I paid 34,000 cash. The car had the exhaust done, a cam, and a CAI intake.

Quick Reply: Considering a 2008 Corvette, How good is it?