C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Exhaust rattle and rubbing noise when turning left

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2012, 08:36 PM
acrebs21
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Exhaust rattle and rubbing noise when turning left

I had an aftermarket exhaust put on about 3 weeks ago. I noticed when u turn left at low speeds it made some sort of rubbing noise almost like a grind or something. I researched on here and it seemed like people had similar things happen and it was no big deal. Then, 3 days ago, i was sitting in the drive thru and idling and i heard the exhaust start rattling. Throughout the day, it would come and go when i was idling. Now it is getting worse and I don't have a clue what it could be. I'm taking it to the place who put the exhaust on tomorrow to see if they can figure it out. I had it welded on. Any ideas?
Old 06-20-2012, 08:46 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I know on my 05, it's tight on the drivers side where the pipe starts up near the gas tank. I had to loosen everything up and move it around to center the pipe in the allotted space, then retighted everything. See how close it is. If it's only a 1/2" or so, it will hit. Being welded you may have a problem!
Old 06-20-2012, 09:08 PM
PT DOC
Advanced

I had a similar problem. Here is my original post - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...fluid-but.html
if you read thru, you can read the next to the last post where I described the actual problem. Turned ou,t one of my passenger side muffler hangers was bad and that allowed the over the axle pipe to occasionally make contact with the axle causing the noise. I changed the hanger and retorqued the muffler clamps and no problems since.
However, my exhaust was not welded together.
Good luck, I know how annoying it can be.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:18 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by weathermaker
I know on my 05, it's tight on the drivers side where the pipe starts up near the gas tank. I had to loosen everything up and move it around to center the pipe in the allotted space, then retighted everything. See how close it is. If it's only a 1/2" or so, it will hit. Being welded you may have a problem!

I had a similar problem. I thought at first it was a loose connection, or maybe an exhaust leak. There was a tapping Or rattling sound that occurred occasionally. Turns out the right over axle pipe was too close to the tunnel. As the weight of the exhaust shifted (like when the car was on a sloped surface, or making left turns) it would come close enough to make contact.

You should be able to reach up under the car to feel how much clearance there is on either side of the over axle pipes. If there is a big difference on both sides of either pipe, then that pipe is probably too close on one side.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:41 PM
acrebs21
Pro

Just Picked it up, he repositioned one pipe and fixed the hanger and both problems are fixed!

Get notified of new replies

To HELP! Exhaust rattle and rubbing noise when turning left

Quick Reply: HELP! Exhaust rattle and rubbing noise when turning left