C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Hasn't My LS7 Blown Up Yet?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:42 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I love the z06, but the engine issues are the main reason why I went with a GS.

it rare to have a problem, but there is a documented issue and I didn't feel like dropping 15k for a new motor.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:04 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Too many horrow stories!

Too many horrow stories to take lightly, GM promotes it as a race car, BUT only warranties it as a daily driver. Read the warranty, it basically says if you race it, tune it, etc., the warranty is void, period!
Old 06-17-2012, 08:20 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
Too many horrow stories to take lightly, GM promotes it as a race car, BUT only warranties it as a daily driver. Read the warranty, it basically says if you race it, tune it, etc., the warranty is void, period!
GM touts the car as having racing technology in a street legal car. That is different than what you imply.

I have not read their warranty word-for-word to understand your/their term 'racing', but track use does not void the warranty. Racing ALA ALMS, etc.? Hell yes! You want GM's warranty to maintain your race engine for nothing? Crap, there's a cost to play man.

Tuning absolutely voids it. Their engineers know how to make the car operate as intended, and to last while doing so. You mess with it, you bought it.

It's been that way since I started to play with high performance cars in the 60s.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:04 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
I love the z06, but the engine issues are the main reason why I went with a GS.

it rare to have a problem, but there is a documented issue and I didn't feel like dropping 15k for a new motor.
Why would you drop $15k on a new motor? Do you plan on modding it if you had one, because the Z06 a is pretty fast car out of the box and they do come with a warranty. If you bought a GS, because you were scared to buy a Z06, then GM did well with their marketing. Not only do automatic and roof remover lovers apply here, but apparently the fearful do as well.

Although in the past, GM may have been alittle more strict on warranty replacements due to tracking; however, recently (on this forum) there are several Z06s that have had warrantied engine replacements while failing on the track. Also, if you search hard enough, GM has even covered tuned LS7s that have dropped valved/catastrophic failure.

There is no doubt that the Z06 is probably the most pushed to the limit car of the C6 models. Most are tracked and/or driven very hard as well as modded...how could you not with the capabilities the car has, and it is somehow developed a reputation for being prone to engine failure because of internet scare tactics.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:36 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Inconsistency

Originally Posted by jackhall99
GM touts the car as having racing technology in a street legal car. That is different than what you imply.

I have not read their warranty word-for-word to understand your/their term 'racing', but track use does not void the warranty. Racing ALA ALMS, etc.? Hell yes! You want GM's warranty to maintain your race engine for nothing? Crap, there's a cost to play man.

Tuning absolutely voids it. Their engineers know how to make the car operate as intended, and to last while doing so. You mess with it, you bought it.

It's been that way since I started to play with high performance cars in the 60s.
The biggest problem is where the dealerships (stealerships) make inconsistant decisions from dealer to dealer and customer service representatives also differ. Probably the only thing consistent is "tuning". There has been much discussion on the CF about different interperations of what is racing and what is not, there was an example of racing a Z06 at VIR with GM executives present when the engine blew. The owner of the Z06 took car to a dealer and they refused to warranty it. He got back with GM executives and they said GM promotes the car as a racer and GM warranty denial was over turned and he got the car repaired. If it hadn't been for these executives, he may have not had the engine fixed at no charge to him. It just depends on the dealer, some act like there is a reward program to turn down repairs. In the DFW area there are some dealers you really don't want to deal with. There are some great dealerships because of the service manager and or director or both, they make and break the warranty process.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:50 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

The biggest problem is where the dealerships (stealerships) make inconsistant decisions from dealer to dealer and customer service representatives also differ. .....
Now this statement I can agree with for the most part. The exception is the 'stealership' term. It is a cheap shot that I frankly despise, again because dealerships vary in quality between each other.

The varying decisions can and do occur. However that is more accurate than your initial blanket statement ".... GM promotes it as a race car, BUT only warranties it as a daily driver. Read the warranty, it basically says if you race it, tune it, etc., the warranty is void, period! "

Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

The warranty on a Z06, is the same as on any other C6 Corvette. 5yrs/100,000 miles on the powertrain.

GM doesn't promote the Z06 as a "race car".

If it's a "race car" then why does it have OnStar, catalytic converters, XM radio, dual climate control, and power seats and seat belts instead of a 5 point harness and a roll cage?

That said, there are few "factory" race cars out there..a few which come to mind are Viper ACR X, the Porsche 997 RSR and the Ford Mustang FR500s.

All are race cars, available from the factory, and not street legal nor designed for public roads.

The Viper ACR X comes from the factory with long tube headers on it and no catalytic converters.

The bottom line is, they, GM, have discretion as to whether or not they are going to cover an engine which failed on the track as they have covered cars which did. Any major repair, such as an engine, has to be approved by them.

The biggest problem is where the dealerships (stealerships) make inconsistant decisions from dealer to dealer and customer service representatives also differ. Probably the only thing consistent is "tuning". There has been much discussion on the CF about different interperations of what is racing and what is not, there was an example of racing a Z06 at VIR with GM executives present when the engine blew. The owner of the Z06 took car to a dealer and they refused to warranty it. He got back with GM executives and they said GM promotes the car as a racer and GM warranty denial was over turned and he got the car repaired. If it hadn't been for these executives, he may have not had the engine fixed at no charge to him. It just depends on the dealer, some act like there is a reward program to turn down repairs. In the DFW area there are some dealers you really don't want to deal with. There are some great dealerships because of the service manager and or director or both, they make and break the warranty process.
The story you describe, gets told a few different ways in here. The one says that the "GM executives" witnessed the failure and OKed the repair on the spot provided the ECM was stock after being checked, and it was.

Yours now has the owner taking the car to the dealer, having the repair denied, and then the "GM executives" being recontacted by the owner, and stepping in to have the repair OKed.

I suspect though that this whole story, is nothing more than urban legend.

GM doesn't even promote the ZR1 as a "race car", or even a "track car" for that matter, and it is more powerful than the Z06.

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...t+Corvette+ZR1

"General Motors designed and produced the ZR1 be driven on the roads. While the car is capable of awesome displays of power and speed it was not designed to be "raced". All of the restrictions that are currently in place for all of GM’s products are in place on the ZR1 as well. There are several notations in the warranty booklets that explain that GM may deny warranty coverage if the vehicle or part has failed due to abuse, neglect, improper or insufficient maintenance or modifications not approved by GM. This includes common "upgrades" customers may make such as wheels, tires, suspension, brakes, air induction and engine calibrations. Please ensure this is covered with the owner when the vehicle is delivered. The ZR1 will perform well in a track environment; however, it was not designed, built or sold as a "track car." If an owner elects to use the car in such a manner, it is outside the intent of the warranty as supplied by General Motors and any damage as a result may not be covered by the GM warranty. Explaining this to a customer before the car is sold may prevent misunderstandings later."

So they "may", or "may not" cover damage as a result of using the car on a track.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-17-2012 at 11:35 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Ricky makes a rare appearance!!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:09 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by jackhall99

Your buddy missed a shift, IMHO. I've been there and done that!

I have too many friends in the NE Illinois, NW Indiana and western MI area that drive them, and find the cars reliable. They all laugh at the posts on here about the "bad" engines blowing up. Of course, they all know how to drive the car also.
Looks like a mech overrev!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:09 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Originally Posted by Raazor
Ricky makes a rare appearance!!
Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by Racer
Racer makes a rare appearance!!!!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

Old 06-17-2012, 11:26 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Old 06-18-2012, 12:04 AM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
Many seem to be negative toward the ZO6 on this forum so I figure I'd share my almost five years of real world ownership of my dreaded 2007 Z. Mine has 33K bone stock miles and not even a whisper of trouble but for a catalytic convertor.No strange noises or,no metalic particles in the oil,no ticking at idle. What gives? BTW she was built on 1/12/07.
"Seem to be negative."? For years we've been reading about the actual experiences of Z06 owners. These people were just reporting what happened to them. I don't think that's negative. Like, hey, I dropped a valve driving to the convenience store at 30 mph and have a piston out the side of my LS7s block. Would it be "negative" to simply report the facts of what happened. I don't think so.

From all the hundreds of posts about LS7 failures it seems that many occur without ANY warning. Yes, some give advance notice but many apparently do not. This is the reason I didn't buy a Z06...the unpredictability. Your experience proves the existence of a statistical distribution of failures among LS7s.....some fail, some don't with little apparent reason in each case....that's statistics for you......it deals with population frequencies not individual cases. You are just lucky SO FAR.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 AM
Racer
Team Owner

Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

Old 06-18-2012, 12:26 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
.... You are just lucky SO FAR.
As are you.

Unless perhaps you think that NO LS2 has ever failed or is capable of failing.

GM built 97,523 LS2 equipped Corvettes from 2005-2007 model year. Nearly 100,000 Vettes, just like yours.

If you want to believe that they never replaced a motor in any of them, and that no motor is ever going to go in any of all of those cars they built, well then go right ahead.

The next one needing to be replaced, could be yours.

I think you have been lucky too. SO FAR

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 06-18-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:35 AM
Crowhater
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am no fan of the ZO6 engine but failures happen to all of them. At 2000 miles on my ODO my engine decided it needed a new crank case vent. Of course the dealership said no dice.

Get notified of new replies

To Why Hasn't My LS7 Blown Up Yet?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 AM
yea-right
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just witnessed one let go about a month ago at Putnam park in Indiana. As he shifted down the main straight the cloud appeared and he disappeared in it. Then a couple people behind him slid around turn one :/. He had a hole in the right side of his block and parts in the intake.
Just like anything mechanical - it breaks!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:24 AM
Raazor

Support Corvetteforum!

bummer
Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I like pie.

And beer.

Quick Reply: Why Hasn't My LS7 Blown Up Yet?