C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Fluid???

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:56 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daekwan06
You can get the DOT4 & syringe thing both at Walmart. I also bought an aluminum turkey baster (plastic wont work) as I was told that would do the job much faster. All were pretty cheap, maybe $5 bucks a piece. And much cheaper than you'd pay the dealership to do it.
Yep, Wally World sells the syringe, too. Inexpensive and reusable.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:58 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
i contacted the department of transportation, the committee for which the brake fluid was named after, and they have not yet called me back. i suspect super dot 4 may have extra octane in it for faster shifting or something like that. that was what i found out through my research.
Keep sitting by the phone, I'm sure that they will call you back...after all, it's a part of the government
Old 06-05-2012, 10:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Gotta love those borate esters....
Old 06-05-2012, 10:16 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Like Homer would say - "mmmmm....borate esters!!"

Bob
Old 06-06-2012, 11:36 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Now there's a revelation...I never would have figured Bob to be a Simpson's fan....
Old 06-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Don't use the syringes found in the cooking dept. The brake fluid will react with the plastic and the syringe will disintegrate in your hands. In the automotive section, in the 2-cycle aisle, they have a mixing syringe that works perfect for doing the Ranger method.

EDIT: the one that Dave S mentions above.
Yep it's usually right by the gas cans.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carl3989
Ranger also states that driving the vette will do the trick. Gee I wish we could make Ranger's post a sticky or some way of getting this info out to all vette owners. It is a little known problem that left uncorrected can have dire cosequences.
He states that alternative to 30 pumps of the clutch you can drive the car for 5-10 miles.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:37 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by carl3989
Ranger also states that driving the vette will do the trick. Gee I wish we could make Ranger's post a sticky or some way of getting this info out to all vette owners. It is a little known problem that left uncorrected can have dire cosequences.
Ranger's thread is already in the FAQ section titled "fluids and maintance"
Old 06-06-2012, 05:45 PM
diverman
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by diverman
After reading Carl3989's post on the need to change fluid on a regular basis I thought I should check mine. Pretty black and just two years, thanks carl3989. So I check the manual regarding type of fluid and head off to the parts store. No one has heard of "Super DOT4 brake fluid". One store had DOT4 but all the other had a DOT3-4 multi grade. I wound up buying Valvoline DOT3-4 synthetic. Can any one tell me if this is the right stuff before I put it in and screw something up?Thanks
First of all thanks to Carl3989 I think he saved a lot us a big PITA. I used the Valvoline and I thought it was pretty clean after a couple of changes. I thought the can is open with a short shelf life so lets see if we can do better. The first few changes I pumped the clutch as if I were driving, then I tried very slowly. The fluid went back to being fairly dirty. I used the rest of the can and varied the rate that I actuated the clutch. It finally came pretty clean but I'm still going to do it again in a hundred miles or so.
Old 06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
corvettemorris
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
That's absolutely correct!!!

The DOT used to have specs for DOT 3, 4, and 5. The DOT specs have requirements for dry and wet boiling points, viscosity, high temp stability, corrosion characteristics, effects on seals, and a number of things as well.

DOT 3 and 4 stuff is generally formulated with a glycol ether base, with the DOT 4 having more borate esters added in to raise the boiling temps.

DOT 5 had higher boiling point specs, but it's a silicone based fluid that is not compatible with the DOT 3/4 fluids, and it's slight compressibility makes it totally unacceptable for use in modern high performance ABS cars.

A number of years ago a bunch of mainly foreign car manufacturers wanted a higher boiling point fluid compatible with DOT 3/4 fluids, and the fluid providers came up with stuff they called Super DOT 4, or DOT 4 Plus.

When DOT came out with a spec for glycol ether based fluids with boiling points as high as the silicone based DOT 5, they designated the spec DOT 5.1.

Super DOT 4, DOT 4 Plus, and DOT 5.1 are all essentially the same, with the two higher rated DOT 4's just produced before the DOT came out with the 5.1 spec.

You can find a lot of Super DOT 4 fluids: BG, Bel Ray, Castrol Response, Pentosin (which I suspect is what is actually the stuff that is relabeled and sold as GM Super DOT 4), and many others.

There are also a number of DOT 5.1 fluids that have been formulated since the official DOT 5.1 spec came out, otherwise they would probably be called Super DOT 4 or DOT 4 Plus: AP DOT 5.1, Motul DOT 5.1, etc.

So.....I think it's perfectly acceptable to consider most Super DOT 4 or DOT 4 Plus fluids to be essentially the same as most DOT 5.1 fluids. That's what the StopTech site White Paper tech bulletin on fluids used to say. I reviewed it and it's been changed so that reference is no longer in there.

Of course you can check out the fluid manufacturer's specs and compare them To the DOT specs. Many racing brake fluids that just call themselves DOT 4 easily meet the DOT 5.1 specs.

Just MHO, YMMV!!

Bob
That is the same information I saw in my research on the DOT 5.1 brake/clutch fluid. Another observation is my clutch fluid seems to stay cleaner longer since I switched to Motul DOT 5.1 brake fluid. That's just my observation; others may chime in with theirs.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 PM
EtidW
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the GM Super DOT 4 and it says Super DOT 4 on the can. I thought that the Super part was just for effect but apparently not. Cost is no more than the others.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by ETID
I bought the GM Super DOT 4 and it says Super DOT 4 on the can. I thought that the Super part was just for effect but apparently not. Cost is no more than the others.
Let us know if you get better times at the track ...............
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,956 Likes on 5,345 Posts

DOT specs are just minimum standards. For instance Ford Super Duty DOT 3 brake fluid used to have a dry boiling point of 550 degrees. A couple of years ago they lowered the dry boiling point to 500 degrees. Some DOT 4 fluids don't have the same capability. If they don't print the boiling point info on the label you have to assume they meet the minimum standard, which is shown in the attachment below.

If you Google GM Super DOT4 you can find that is a re-branded Pentosin Super DOT4 which their web page shows has these specs:
SUPER DOT4
Color: Light Yellow
Boiling Point > 265°C (>509°F)
Wet Boiling Point > 165°C (>329°F)

I suspect the wet boiling point is the critical number for a clutch.

Not all DOT4s are created equal and you should look at the specs of each one you are considering before purchasing.

Bill
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2012, 10:49 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Prestone DOT 4 has a dry boiling point of 510 F. They consider it a high performance brake fluid

Quick Reply: Clutch Fluid???