C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If Goodyear tires are so bad ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 07:49 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default If Goodyear tires are so bad ...

Why did the Grand Sport set a class leading time with them on at the Lightning Lap?

why did the Z-51 do the same?

not saying they are the best tires, I no longer run them myself, but it seems the expectations of people are out of line. They are a summer tire shod on the Grand Sport, a vehicle meant for road racing, and drive on them there and back home. On the Z-51 for the same reason.

Noise? turn up the stereo. Step on the gas (that's why you bought the aftermarket exhaust and/or headers right?) How can you hear anything over your wifes/GF constant cackling anyway?

Comfort? Look for that in your Barcalounger, it's a sports car!

just sayin'
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

I've got a nice LADY GAGA cd that hides just about any noise................
Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 AM
corvette4595
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I've been very happy with my Goodyear's. I replaced the fronts at 25k and the rears are still very good at 35k. I run 35lbs all year round. They ride ok, they handle well for me, and they've lasted much longer than I expected. I'll buy more.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:59 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

The class leading time in the Z51 and the Gran Sport might would have been even faster with a better tire. The Goodyears seem to be ok but for the money they cost there are better tires out there I think is the pont. I LIKE the Goodyears on my 2009 Dodge truck. BUT they cost a small fortune to replace compared to other brands.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by corvette4595
Personally, I've been very happy with my Goodyear's. I replaced the fronts at 25k and the rears are still very good at 35k. I run 35lbs all year round. They ride ok, they handle well for me, and they've lasted much longer than I expected. I'll buy more.
Drive another Vette on different NON-runflats and then tell us how good the stock tires are.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
scott53
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The GY front tires on my 2010 GS have 3/32 tread depth with 4000 miles. The rears have 5/32. And no I don't track the car. My bet as to the cause is very soft rubber vs. very abrasive road surfaces in SW PA. I will soon be replacing them with Michelins.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:17 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by J Willis
I've got a nice LADY GAGA cd that hides just about any noise................
you've "got" her? interesting......
Old 05-22-2012, 09:19 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scott53
The GY front tires on my 2010 GS have 3/32 tread depth with 4000 miles. The rears have 5/32. And no I don't track the car. My bet as to the cause is very soft rubber vs. very abrasive road surfaces in SW PA. I will soon be replacing them with Michelins.
My 70 year old friends new GS had 4k and the front tires were bald, dealer replaced her Eagles for free.
Reason: negative camber.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most guys change tires when they are worn. They remember how noisy the ride was just before they took them off and unfairly compare the new tires to the old.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:24 AM
haljensen
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I must be alone in the way I think since my thought is that the Supercars are a very good balance of wear and handling for the $$.

If 50,000 mile wear and race car traction were available in a single tread compound and pattern at a low price don't you think someone would be selling them already?

Nobody makes a high mileage sticky tire and probably never will, it's a choice of one or the other (or a good compromise like the GY supercars).
Old 05-22-2012, 09:30 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've got over 21k miles on my original OEM '05 vert Goodyears (non-Z51) and they are working fine for me. Even wear and still a lot of tread left too. I think they are great all-around Corvette tires.

Last edited by BlueOx; 05-22-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:37 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by cadguymark
Why did the Grand Sport set a class leading time with them on at the Lightning Lap?

not saying they are the best tires, I no longer run them myself, but it seems the expectations of people are out of line. They are a summer tire shod on the Grand Sport, a vehicle meant for road racing, and drive on them there and back home. On the Z-51 for the same reason.

Noise? turn up the stereo. Step on the gas (that's why you bought the aftermarket exhaust and/or headers right?) How can you hear anything over your wifes/GF constant cackling anyway?

just sayin'
The G.Y. Supercar tire is is very sticky tire.WHEN NEW and marketed on the Corvette for the TRACK. Hence its the same reason they are NOT a good road tire. At half their life they get as hard as a rock and actually begin to LOSE grip.Ask me how I know. IMO Michelin PSS's for road use rule.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
Drive another Vette on different NON-runflats and then tell us how good the stock tires are.
Bingo!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:41 AM
corvette4595
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 6Speeder
I've driven two others. One with Firestones and one with PS2's. They both felt good to me but not much different than my Goodyear's. I'm not saying that they are the best tire, they do however work well for me.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 AM
okie08vette
Le Mans Master

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by cadguymark

just sayin'
FYI you do know that the "Z-51" is just a option package and not a different model, there is the Grand Sport and then the Grand Sport with the Z51 (no dash) option package there is not Z-51 model corvette.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:54 AM
JRHAWK9
Drifting

Originally Posted by Triumph Jerry
My 70 year old friends new GS had 4k and the front tires were bald, dealer replaced her Eagles for free.
Reason: negative camber.
WRONG....

I run -1.0° camber on both the Vette and Firehawk with NO issues what-so-ever, but I run 0 toe. It's running non-zero toe with aggressive camber that will scuff the tires.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:13 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
WRONG....

I run -1.0° camber on both the Vette and Firehawk with NO issues what-so-ever, but I run 0 toe. It's running non-zero toe with aggressive camber that will scuff the tires.
What would be aggressive? Apparently they are set aggressive at the factory for the GS. Do you know what the factory camber would be?
Trying to figure this out because Joyce's front tires were bald at 4k.
rears were ok.

Get notified of new replies

To If Goodyear tires are so bad ...

Old 05-22-2012, 10:14 AM
TMyers
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JRHAWK9
WRONG....

Ditto, I run 1.7 in the front and 1.0 in the rear, zero toe. Wear is just fine with just slightly more wear on the inside front.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Triumph Jerry
Pro

My post was negative camber and excessive tire wear on Joyce's GS not C6.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Ketchum
Drifting

Have a ladty frind with a Gran Sport A6. NEVER driven hard. Back and forth to work car for the most part. 13k on the car. Rear Goodyears are shot. I'm kinda trying to figure out. Maybe a air psi issue or? Fronts are ok for the time being.

Quick Reply: If Goodyear tires are so bad ...