C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone find decent winter tires for GS wheel sizes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 09:52 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Anyone find decent winter tires for GS wheel sizes?

I'm not going to over pamper my next vette, which will be a GS; plan is to drive it all year long here in Michigan. Question is, are there any winter tires that will work on those wide rear wheels? How well do they perform?
Old 05-29-2012, 10:04 PM
greenie99
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion is to go to the Tire Rack website. You probably wont find snows for the rear so I suggest a set of wheels matched to a set of Blizzaks. The depth of the snow will be your major concern at that point.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:08 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by greenie99
My suggestion is to go to the Tire Rack website. You probably wont find snows for the rear so I suggest a set of wheels matched to a set of Blizzaks. The depth of the snow will be your major concern at that point.
Yes, that's what I was thinking....but hoping to use the stock wheels for winter driving, and buy a new wheel set for the RFlats ...

I found these...at least they come in an 18/19 width.....the site is somewhat difficult to navigate for winter tires on sports cars....maybe someone has already done the detailed research....

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....inter+Sport+3D

Last edited by $$$frumnuttin'; 05-29-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:41 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Someone said you can get A/S tires in GS/Z06 sizes, but not as runflats.

If you drive locally where a flat would not leave you freezing to death, that might be a viable option.

There are also rumors that two of the tire companies will be coming out with GS/Z06 A/S runflats this year, but hard to say if that is true.

A/S on your GS will not get you through as much snow as a real winter tire, or as much as a beater with snow tires. But you can handle most of the winter.

The pic below was our 2006 coupe in a motel parking lot, we went the first 50 yds in the unplowed parking lot by following someone's tracks, the last 50 yds as virgin snow. Difficult, but we made it on the A/S runflats.

Just because you can do it, doesn't mean it's much fun. I use our older Toyota for most winter driving, but nice to know what the C6 can do.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2012, 12:44 PM
BostonVette
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Bridgestone AS RFT

I use the Bridgestone Potenza 960RE AS.

These are runflat All Season Tires, they work well in the summer, especially in the wet and get me through surprise snow issues in the winter.

These are not snow tires, I drive my car year round but when there is a forecasted storm I use another vehicle.

Bought mine at Tire Rack
Old 05-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,359 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by BostonVette

These are runflat All Season Tires, they work well in the summer, especially in the wet and get me through surprise snow issues in the winter.

These are not snow tires, I drive my car year round but when there is a forecasted storm I use another vehicle.

Bought mine at Tire Rack
Your profile says you have a 2008, is that correct?

OP is looking for GS/Z06 size tires, do your Bridgestones come for that car?
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonVette

Bought mine at Tire Rack
Uh, they do not fit GS wheels, which is what the OP is asking about.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone find decent winter tires for GS wheel sizes?

Quick Reply: Anyone find decent winter tires for GS wheel sizes?