C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering clicking

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering clicking

ever since I bought my Vette it has had a small click that could be felt when lightly moving the steering wheel from right to left less than 1/4 inch. You start to move the wheel and you can feel a slight click, it does this stopped or just barely mvoing.
The dealer has tried to repair it twice. they replaced an intermediate steering shaft, both front wheel bearings and the steering wheel clock, and I replaced the wheel itself.
Still has the click. Any ideas?
Old 05-24-2012, 06:35 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I had a tic tic tic several years ago. My problem came about only when the steering wheel was being turned. They had a very tough time finding the problem. They worked on it several times without finding the problem. They just wernt listening to me. They said what I was saying was impossible. Then one day the steering wheel locked up with the engine running right there in the dealers service area. It turned out to be the steering lock mechanism. I remember being in the middle of a turn and the wheel locked in the middle of the turn. Because I was stronger than most I forced the wheel out of its stuck position and managed to get the Corvette 1/2 block to the dealers service area. They kept saying, this was impossible, this was impossible. I said its doing it right in front of your eyes isnt it. I remember they had the car for a while and even had the GM rep come in and look at this. After that I gained a little respect when I brought my Corvette in for Service...

Last edited by PaulB; 05-24-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Cavi
Pro

your issue sounds different than mine, with mine you can rock the steering back and forth about 1/2 inch one way then the other and it will go click click, you cannot hear it but you can feel it, it feels like it is in the clock sprin area but they replaced that. also it seems only to really do it when hot, so I am wondering if it is anything to do with steering rack, IE powersteering as the temp sensitivitly would make sense.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:07 AM
chsia
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2012 GS CE and have the steering click noise too. Not moving with steering wheel straight, when I turn the SW between 11 and 12 o'clock positions, I can hear and feel the click.
Old 07-29-2012, 07:50 PM
petemoss
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Steering clicking noise and notchy feel

I have a 2012 C6 coupe that started having this problem at 970 miles. The dealer has put 4 racks and one steering column, and I still get the problem. It was in the dealer shop for a total of 38 days. The car has to get hot for it to happen. I’m now going thru the NJ Lemon Law process to see if they will take this thing off my hands. There just happens to be an article in the Sept 2012 Corvette magazine on C6’s that say that this model has had a small number of problems inside the steering column and that these are usually repaired quickly by the dealer. Not in my case.
Has anyone had this problem and gotten it fixed? If so how did they fix it?
Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 02:42 PM
livnpaintball2
Intermediate

i just bought a 2012 and it has 88 miles on it and I have the same thing, a little past center at speeds below 25mph it has a single click in either direction. well this sucks.......
Old 08-16-2012, 04:51 PM
petemoss
Instructor

GM has been unable to fix mine, so they are giving me all my money back as part of the NJ Lemon Law process. There is also an article in the Sept issue of Corvette magazine about the C6 having this problem and they say it is usually fixed by the dealer fairly easily. They don’t mention how. I was thinking of of buying a 2013, now I’m not so sure if other people are getting the same issue. I’ll let you know if they ever figure out the problem.

Jim
Old 08-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Cavi
Pro

mine was never fixed and both I and the dealer gave up, it is absurd but what can I say, my guess it the 2013 is the same and considering that most people do not have this issue you probably will not have it in any other vette.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Our 2009 had a slight "clunk" that could be heard/felt in the steering wheel when starting slow turns in a parking lot.

Dealer replaced the sway bar links front and rear, problem disappeared.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:09 PM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

I had what sounds like the same problem in my '11 GS. The dealership did the steering shaft changeout, which didn't fix it. They then changed out the rack, which solved the problem.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:59 PM
gjnockie
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by livnpaintball2
i just bought a 2012 and it has 88 miles on it and I have the same thing, a little past center at speeds below 25mph it has a single click in either direction. well this sucks.......
My new 427 Vert does the same thing with only 75 miles on it!
Old 09-04-2012, 05:28 PM
livnpaintball2
Intermediate

steering shaft replacement fixed mine for now
Old 09-04-2012, 06:05 PM
3L337 C6
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

check the wheel hub assemblies on the front, both sides.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:14 PM
petemoss
Instructor

Default Clicking in Steering

They were never able to fix mine, but GM gave me all my money back as part of the NJ Lemon law process. Now I’m looking to buy a 2013, but it seems like they have still not fixed this problem in some 2013's. I’m hearing that GM knows about it and is developing a new steering part or some rack fix. Anyone know if that it true? I don’t want to go out and order this 2013, and have the same issues?

Thanks Jim
Old 09-16-2012, 02:47 PM
ThanksMYY
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PaulB
I had a tic tic tic several years ago. My problem came about only when the steering wheel was being turned. They had a very tough time finding the problem. They worked on it several times without finding the problem. They just wernt listening to me. They said what I was saying was impossible. Then one day the steering wheel locked up with the engine running right there in the dealers service area. It turned out to be the steering lock mechanism. I remember being in the middle of a turn and the wheel locked in the middle of the turn. Because I was stronger than most I forced the wheel out of its stuck position and managed to get the Corvette 1/2 block to the dealers service area. They kept saying, this was impossible, this was impossible. I said its doing it right in front of your eyes isnt it. I remember they had the car for a while and even had the GM rep come in and look at this. After that I gained a little respect when I brought my Corvette in for Service...
Sounds like the typical service manager in my area! I can live with a few tics and rattles, but the steering wheel locking up is a different story.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:18 PM
glamcem
Instructor

I know it's an old thread but I was just wondering if anyone had their issues and if their steering been fixed.

I am told that the dealer cannot get a new unit and they can only get re-manufactured part.

Last edited by glamcem; 06-17-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Cavi
Pro

the one they put in mine was reman.....

Get notified of new replies

To steering clicking

Old 06-17-2013, 07:04 PM
glamcem
Instructor

Did that fix your issue?
Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 PM
hawkandersonjr
Burning Brakes

Location: US-ARMY 1974-1996 Retired ; Oklahoma, City ; Atlanta, Ga: Hephzibah, Ga
Received 107 Likes on 38 Posts

Default Fix the clunking and clinking sound

I want to thank the forum members for the information about the clunking and clinking sound when going from drive to reverse and sometime to park. I bought two new rear axel nuts, some Loctite and torque them at 140. No more clunking and clinking.

Next mission change the rear end fluid. Got to find a place to do the circle eight thing. Anyone know how far you can drive before doing the figure eight maneuver.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:27 PM
petemoss
Instructor

They never fixed mine, I returned the 2012 under the lemon law, got my money back and then bought a 2013. I have 1175 miles on 2013 and so far so good.

Quick Reply: steering clicking