C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat swap temp issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 01:57 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Thermostat swap temp issues

So i changed to a 160, i did this on my TBSS as well, and i had the same problem but I pressed on the hoses and after awhile temps worked to the way they should of. But i also changed the fluid at that time.

With this vette I took out the therm caught the fluid in a pan put in the therm closed it up and put the fluid back in. I did not change the fluid, so its prob 58K worth of life. Def was not clear looked cloudy and dirty. Even if the fluid is dirty how much is the temp going to be affected.

after install idle temps were 176 idle and 170 driving 75degrees out side

now - 85 out side idle is like 218-228 and driving 204-212. That just doesn't seem right. Fluid level is with in reason of the tank about a inch from full (cap)

Local shop was going to drain it and put new fluid ( yellow ) in for $30 for me.

Ideas, thoughts, suggestions I will take them, thanks in advance.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:05 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 154 Likes on 74 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Are you sure you didn't trap any air in the system? You sure you didn't trap some contamination? I'd go after the new fluid for both reasons.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:14 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by talon90
Are you sure you didn't trap any air in the system? You sure you didn't trap some contamination? I'd go after the new fluid for both reasons.
ya who knows the fluid grabbed hitting the engine bay on the way down, I mean my engine is clean but you never know. and as for air. I would guess yes, Seeing as I went to the thermostat to open it up.

Also my other question If i was do a cleaning agent when I do new fluid if i do this at home. recommendations?
Old 05-24-2012, 02:14 PM
blackonblack2011
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine stays around 190-203 driving and a little higher at idle. I thought it was running a little hot also but the guys at hp sales took it to said it was fine. Not really 100% sure if it is or not to be honest. What are normal temps for a 160? Everyone just keeps telling me im in south florida and the car will be hotter than normal.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:16 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blackonblack2011
Mine stays around 190-203 driving and a little higher at idle. I thought it was running a little hot also but the guys at hp sales took it to said it was fine. Not really 100% sure if it is or not to be honest. What are normal temps for a 160? Everyone just keeps telling me im in south florida and the car will be hotter than normal.
Hell those were my temps on a stock one, ud think with a 160 it would come down more. like my fan doesnt kick on to like 230. I want the fan to kick on at like 180ish
Old 05-24-2012, 02:20 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Hello,

On a hot day your Corvette will not run cooler when you just install a cooler thermostat. You need to program the fans to come on sooner, then they will work in unison.

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 05-24-2012, 02:22 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
Hello,

On a hot day your Corvette will not run cooler when you just install a cooler thermostat. You need to program the fans to come on sooner, then they will work in unison.

Douglas in Green Bay
I am guessing this is thru the tune?

Anyway to manually control the fan off a switch for the time being?
Old 05-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Don 79 TA
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definitely get rid of the fluid
and make sure there is no air, this is one reason i usually drill a very small hole in the stat, to help prevent an air bubble
you'll probably need to tune for lower temps with a programmer or what ever you tune the ECM with
Old 05-24-2012, 03:04 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Don 79 TA
definitely get rid of the fluid
and make sure there is no air, this is one reason i usually drill a very small hole in the stat, to help prevent an air bubble
you'll probably need to tune for lower temps with a programmer or what ever you tune the ECM with

kk, waiting to i get my 102 intake manifold and ported tb for a tune, so ill have to mention that then.

How small we talking? smallest drive bit u can get it lol
Old 05-24-2012, 03:05 PM
blackonblack2011
Racer

I set up my appointment late last time chuck cow was in orlando. When i got their he did my tune and handed me the 160. He did change my fan speeds so they re on almost all the time. It was another shop however who put in my 160. At first i was running so hot i thought it was messed up. So i took it to hp sales around the time i needed an oil change. They we very nice and checked it out for me for no charge and said it was fine. My temps are still as stated above with the fan and them checking to see if everything was correct. Honestly not really sure what to do but ignore it at this point.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:10 PM
blackonblack2011
Racer

I will say i am thinking of making the hike back up to orlando next week when chuck is back up that way for him to take a look and re-tune the car. Thats is probably my best option but it is a 3 hour drive.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:19 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 216 Posts

You prob have an air bubble in the system still. When I did mine I did it like I have done every LSx vehicle I own. I leave the radiator cap or collant tank lid off and let the car come up to operating while idleing.

This allows any air bubble to escape.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:37 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,599 Likes on 1,633 Posts

If you do change AF be sure they use DEX KOOL!
Old 05-24-2012, 04:28 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by johnodrake
If you do change AF be sure they use DEX KOOL!
I heard allot of bad **** about dex cool and allot of people switching to the yellow stuff.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:21 PM
KB9GKC
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by UmX
I heard allot of bad **** about dex cool and allot of people switching to the yellow stuff.
Hello,

The main problem with Dexcool is caused by the oil change boys. When you go to a Quickie Lube Place they sometimes pour in regular antifreeze to top off your radiator. When Dexacool is mixed with regular coolent it clumps up and plugs up, thus Dexacool being called Dexaclog!

If you want to run Prestone etc you need to flush the entire system clean and then add the 50/50 mixture.

Douglas in Green Bay
Old 05-24-2012, 05:49 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by KB9GKC
Hello,

The main problem with Dexcool is caused by the oil change boys. When you go to a Quickie Lube Place they sometimes pour in regular antifreeze to top off your radiator. When Dexacool is mixed with regular coolent it clumps up and plugs up, thus Dexacool being called Dexaclog!

If you want to run Prestone etc you need to flush the entire system clean and then add the 50/50 mixture.

Douglas in Green Bay
Can a flush clean be done by me in my driveway? and if so what process should be takin

I mean either way even id i dont change fluids I would like to do a clean through you know?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,372 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

There are occasional problems caused by dexcool, especially when it was new. But we've put 11 yrs/150k miles total on our Corvettes and had no problems, just change as per the manual.

Out of all the C5 and C6 guys we know in our two local clubs, no one has mentioned any problems with dexcool. Sure, you might have a problem next year with it. But I think your chances of having a problem are much higher if you starting screwing around with different coolants.

Get notified of new replies

To Thermostat swap temp issues

Old 05-24-2012, 08:04 PM
UmX
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
There are occasional problems caused by dexcool, especially when it was new. But we've put 11 yrs/150k miles total on our Corvettes and had no problems, just change as per the manual.

Out of all the C5 and C6 guys we know in our two local clubs, no one has mentioned any problems with dexcool. Sure, you might have a problem next year with it. But I think your chances of having a problem are much higher if you starting screwing around with different coolants.
cool. well what about still doing a clean thru the lines whats recommended?
Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,372 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Some shops have a system that allows them to do a sort of flush-exchange.

Or you can drain & refill with distilled water, run until radiator gets warm, drain & refill with water again, run until radiator gets warm, drain & refill w/dexcool-water mix.
Be careful to avoid air in the system.

And there are probably other ways too.

Regardless of how you do it, you want nice clean coolant when you are finished. You want to finish this project and be done.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:44 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess the basic problem is that anyone that changes to a 160 degree thermostat seldom if ever has mastered basic automotive engine technology. End result, poorer performance, less MPGs, greater engine wear and more pollution of the atmosphere we all breath. So explain to me why you change the thermostat from what the GM engineers recommended. Is their something you curb-side mechanics with no credentials whatsoever know that exceeds the collective wisdom of cream-of-the-crop GM engineers?.

Quick Reply: Thermostat swap temp issues