C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Z06 vs new Mustang GT350 on Velocity

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 09:40 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Of course they had to use a heavily modified mustang to put up against the Z06. Its a typical bs comparison and why i dont watch this junk.

Make it real by comparing similar type vehicles, i.e. modified, stock ect and then their comparisons might be worth my time.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:04 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by bearphoto
Of course they had to use a heavily modified mustang to put up against the Z06. Its a typical bs comparison and why i dont watch this junk.
Too bad. The "junk" you missed is a 3 hour documentary about the life and work of Carroll Shelby. The GT350 track stuff was a very small part of the 3 hours. It was a great show whether you like Ford or not.

Originally Posted by Triumph Jerry
I took my wifes new mustang to the store this morning, it was like sitting in a pickup after driving my C6.
They are very different cars. I prefer my 08 coupe to the wife's 08 Mustang GT, but both beat the hell out of driving a minivan or econobox.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:35 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is the name of the show you are talking about?
Old 05-21-2012, 10:41 AM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is just my opinion from an old drag race guy. I would order the cars with the top performance options from the factory for their model, put the same driver in it and see what the results are. If the Mustang GT500 is Fords top dog than it should run against Gm's ZR1. As well as Dodge's Viper. I'm only talking straight line performance. 0-60 times and quarter mile. I know there are those who feel you should figure road course times in also for a true test which is fine. But for me it's whose the fastest stop light to stop light. The car shows I go to wan't to know how fast my Z06 is in the quarter not at the Nuremberg ring. maybe I should hang around with a different crowd.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:43 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by widgetsupply
It was a three part documentary on Carroll Shelby on the Velocity channel yesterday evening. I'm sure they'll run it again.

Last edited by Steve_R; 05-21-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 66biskwik
This is just my opinion from an old drag race guy. I would order the cars with the top performance options from the factory for their model, put the same driver in it and see what the results are. If the Mustang GT500 is Fords top dog than it should run against Gm's ZR1. As well as Dodge's Viper. I'm only talking straight line performance. 0-60 times and quarter mile. I know there are those who feel you should figure road course times in also for a true test which is fine. But for me it's whose the fastest stop light to stop light. The car shows I go to wan't to know how fast my Z06 is in the quarter not at the Nuremberg ring. maybe I should hang around with a different crowd.
Hey thats fine IMO.

The Corvette's 0-60 and 1/4 times are only part of its performance design, But it does an admirable job considering thats not its pure focus.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:40 AM
SCMichel
Instructor

Did they talk about his chili? That's pretty good stuff.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:43 AM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto

Make it real by comparing similar type vehicles, i.e. modified, stock ect and then their comparisons might be worth my time.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:53 PM
DASHZNT
Pro

I saw that show late last night, the Mustang actually beats the all... but keep in mind its not an even match. The stang has 600+ HP, and i believe its an unfair fight. But that being said, i still have to give credit where credit is due even if you have a supercharger and more than 100+ more horsepower than your competition, LOL!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,511 Likes on 1,016 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I was disappointed that they took 3 previous shows and packaged it as a tribute to Carroll Shelby. I realize they only had a week to put something together, had I known this was what they were going to present I wouldn’t have watched it…

http://www.carrollshelby.com/#/1923-1951
Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 PM
DASHZNT
Pro

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
I was disappointed that they took 3 previous shows and packaged it as a tribute to Carroll Shelby. I realize they only had a week to put something together, had I known this was what they were going to present I wouldn’t have watched it…

http://www.carrollshelby.com/#/1923-1951
I dont like Ford Mustangs as much if not more than the next guy here but I have great respect for a true American Hero. This man took an american product and made it into something great. He had a dream and accomplished that dream which is what makes this country so great... God Bless Him!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,511 Likes on 1,016 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Shelby paired with two Texas Chevy dealers on an idea to build a race car from the Corvette that could beat Enzo Ferrari on his own terms.

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoram...191632837.html

Last edited by Quick Silver Z; 05-21-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:26 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Compared to Ford, GM/Chevy screwed the pooch in those days by NOT getting behind the racing program with a concerted factory approach. Thank goodness they are doing so now!
Old 05-21-2012, 04:32 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
Shelby paired with two Texas Chevy dealers on an idea to build a race car from the Corvette that could beat Enzo Ferrari on his own terms.
Yup, that was something I didn't know before the show. Shelby tried to get support from Chevrolet before talking to Ford. Chevy turned him down. Can only imagine what would have happened if they'd done that instead of Ford. A Shelby Corvette would undoubtedly have been one awesome machine.

Unlike many here I don't dislike Mustangs at all, but then I've never understood the brand envy/hate thing. If nothing else the competition between Ford and Chevy has prompted both to build better cars. I can see a Shelby GT500 in the garage next to my C6 in a couple of years.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:05 PM
Gary '09 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 454 Likes on 399 Posts

Originally Posted by widgetsupply

Originally Posted by DASHZNT
I dont like Ford Mustangs as much if not more than the next guy here but I have great respect for a true American Hero. This man took an american product and made it into something great. He had a dream and accomplished that dream which is what makes this country so great... God Bless Him!

The documentary was aptly named, "Caroll Shelby: King of the Road"

An iconic automotive pioneer whose vision knew no limits...
Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 PM
Invicta1
Advanced

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Yup, that was something I didn't know before the show. Shelby tried to get support from Chevrolet before talking to Ford. Chevy turned him down. Can only imagine what would have happened if they'd done that instead of Ford. A Shelby Corvette would undoubtedly have been one awesome machine.

Unlike many here I don't dislike Mustangs at all, but then I've never understood the brand envy/hate thing. If nothing else the competition between Ford and Chevy has prompted both to build better cars. I can see a Shelby GT500 in the garage next to my C6 in a couple of years.
I was a "Mustang Guy" owning an 87 GT, 97 Cobra, and a 2004 Cobra. The 04 supercharged Cobra put down 424HP at the wheels with a cat back exhaust and a Predator tune. Pretty strong but a heavy car. I like my 2011 GS better in all respects, but it was approx $30K more expensive. I still like Mustangs but IMHO it is a different driving experience than a Corvette.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:23 PM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Steve_R
Unlike many here I don't dislike Mustangs at all, but then I've never understood the brand envy/hate thing.
The Corvette world...actually I'll take that back. A lot of the "car" world is filled with folks who have severe inferiority complexes. Their whole life is tired up in car X...for them and their lives to have meaning their car MUST be better then the other car. Thus the constant put downs etc...only when their car is "superior" do they have a feeling of self worth.

As I live in both worlds (Corvette and Mustang) I really see this impact and outright stupidity. I also do not see the comparison-hmmm 2 seat sports car and a 4 seat pony car...duh...they are different, what a concept.

Funny thing is true real car guys go for a "car"...as noted above Shelby tried for an engine program with Chevy--it was going into the same Cobra body but GM didn't want internal competition with the Corvette.

Larry Shinoda famous for the Boss Mustang design..guess what--he was also involved in my favorite Vette, the 63 split window. Look at some of the best drivers back then...Dave MacDonald...ran Vettes then Cobras. Bob Bondarant same deal. His school ran Fords when he had a deal with Ford (he pretty much took over the original Shelby School of High Performance Driving) and now his school is tight with Vettes and Johnny O.

Car guys are just that....car guys... I love'em all...well not a 1967 VW Van on a twisty high mountain road going 15 mph....

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Z06 vs new Mustang GT350 on Velocity

Old 05-21-2012, 11:26 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
The Corvette world...actually I'll take that back. A lot of the "car" world is filled with folks who have severe inferiority complexes. Their whole life is tired up in car X...for them and their lives to have meaning their car MUST be better then the other car. Thus the constant put downs etc...only when their car is "superior" do they have a feeling of self worth.

As I live in both worlds (Corvette and Mustang) I really see this impact and outright stupidity. I also do not see the comparison-hmmm 2 seat sports car and a 4 seat pony car...duh...they are different, what a concept.

Funny thing is true real car guys go for a "car"...as noted above Shelby tried for an engine program with Chevy--it was going into the same Cobra body but GM didn't want internal competition with the Corvette.

Larry Shinoda famous for the Boss Mustang design..guess what--he was also involved in my favorite Vette, the 63 split window. Look at some of the best drivers back then...Dave MacDonald...ran Vettes then Cobras. Bob Bondarant same deal. His school ran Fords when he had a deal with Ford (he pretty much took over the original Shelby School of High Performance Driving) and now his school is tight with Vettes and Johnny O.

Car guys are just that....car guys... I love'em all...well not a 1967 VW Van on a twisty high mountain road going 15 mph....
Do you have a list of what...car guys..are supposed to like? Oh and not like?
Old 05-22-2012, 12:07 AM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Good post.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Pitbull11
Racer

Quick Reply: C6 Z06 vs new Mustang GT350 on Velocity