C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you apprehensive about C7?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:35 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking forward to the C7 and see what it brings to the table. I had a mustang and it didn't compare to a c6 for turning, brakes, and the vette is a true sports car.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:03 AM
Invicta1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rayk
I'm looking forward to the C7 and see what it brings to the table. I had a mustang and it didn't compare to a c6 for turning, brakes, and the vette is a true sports car.
Although I just turned over 1K on my 2011 GS and loving it so I really probably wont be in the market for a new one for quite awhile.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:48 AM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,921 Likes on 1,334 Posts

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011
Solely acting on the gut feeling, and out of fear, I wanted to grab on to one of the last C6's before GM moved to appease younger European sports car buyer market and the stricter EPA regulations to make the car more...ahem...civilized. Last year I took delivery of loaded 3LT GS (with M6) all except leather interior.

The C6 could be the last of its breed, pure hot rod and rock & roll with an engine that still has potential for another DIY 200-400 HP fairly easily, and the drive train to support that without huge modifications. With C7, smaller tires, engine (albeit probably around the same horsepower but with less untapped potential) probably more civilized and easier to drive all around but if that is what I had wanted, I had not bought a vette. I also hear from very good sources (Mechanics inside MB and BMW) that they are having bitch of a time with direct injection, a many valve jobs on fairly new cars.

The C5 did nothing for me, so I did not own one. Still miss my 89 C4 although technologically no comparison to C6. It must have been those gills (C4 and GS had them)

Yet I still sit and ponder, if I did the right thing, or should I have waited until the C7 came out. Then one needs to give them few years to get their act on a new car, that is another 4 years without a vette (my 3rd vette by the way) and I am not getting any younger.

I wanted to find out how late model owners feel about this?. I can almost see the answers, I guess, love the one you are with and stop looking around is a good motto, but good thing with cars, when you do, they never bitch about it...
I am in general agreement with your gut on this.

Consider that most would consider the mid-year Vettes better than the follow on C3s.

I have not had an interest, or desire to own, a Vette since 1967, until the C6 was introduced, and didn't care for the C5. I had no enduring interest in a C3 or C4 as well.

I hope the C7 is solid, but am skeptical.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:59 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

As it is not a completely clean slate I dont think we will see that many issues with it.

Depending on what I get for trade in for mine I may jump up to a C7 when it comes out. In saying that, the car is going to have to be a home run on every level for me or else I am sticking with my 2012 for quite a while.

Granted the C6 is a great car but there are some areas I wish would be looked in to. With the windows down and I shut the door it reminds me of my 2000 Z28 and how it would clatter a bit. Yes, the interior isnt world class but its not a 200k car so what are people expecting? Its a mass production vehicle. People are correct, the dash feels hard and like plastic.....but I dont sit there and rub the dash on my Corvette or any other vehicle. lol
Old 05-21-2012, 10:20 AM
JFKLS3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we actually do see the C7, will it be too late to order a C6 if we do not like it?
I am on the fence about ordering a 13, but don't want to be shut out if I don't care
for the C7. I get the feeling I am still going to prefer the C6 when I see it.
Hope not, but don't want to get stuck, if it is too late.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Raazor
this thread blow on many levels

Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 AM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Not apprehensive....I'm already somewhat disappointed. The end of the 427 engine and a smaller displacement engine....we're off to a bad start.

Various experts agree that we are now re-living the muscle car era of 60's with big engines and horsepower however this is unsustainable on the long run as the fuel supplies diminish, prices get higher and the EPA regulations get tougher. It is an aberration. We all know what happened in 70's as it was a huge trend backwards. Yep, I am that old. However I find myself lucky having experienced both muscle car periods, I for some reason feel that when the C7 comes out, I (and lot of us) will be vindicated. However I have been wrong before..
Old 05-21-2012, 11:53 AM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

I too miss the idea of not having a monster engine under the hood but we also have to progress and at this time a smaller engine is the route many are going (but I dont like it). I am curious to see how the 5.5 will be in street trim. The torque is what I like about a larger displacement engine so time will tell if it trips my trigger.

One thing I like is that the car may start (and in my opinion needs to) to find its way in to other types of people hands. By that I mean some people dont like the Corvette because tis not loud enough looking and that it has an old school power plant. Via this method they are trying to bring in new buyers. Most Vette owners are older and they are not being replaced with as many folks from the younger generations. Granted there are some but not as many as the outgoing crop of folks. That was the exact case for the F-body in the late 90s. They stayed true to their roots and in the end GM thought it was a good idea to cut the line. They cut a 60k unit a year line and replaced it with the AZTEK. Great job GM...smooth move.

I wouldnt mind a mid engine Corvette like the one that was a concept in the mid 80s.
Old 05-21-2012, 11:59 AM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
As stated..History of the Corvette. As with previous generations like the C6, the 06 is a better car than the 05. I hope GM has learned not to throw out cars to the customer and then work out the bugs. I'm just not taking that chance.
They have always done that and always will, and it's not exclusive to GM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Daekwan06
Safety Car

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Theres already a 662hp $54k Mustang GT500 now for sale. And a 580hp $55k Camaro ZL1 now available for sale. There will be a $95k 640hp Viper for sale later this year. These vehicles are all direct competitors for the Corvette. And a next generation Corvette will need to be capable of challenging these vehicles on both performance & price.

Anybody who is wondering rather or not the C7 will kick major azz, really isnt looking at the big picture. Every other sportscar you can name since the introduction of the 2005 C6, from Hyundai Genesis to a Lambroghini Aventador has received HUGE increases in performance. Why would the C7 miss out on its big upgrade in perfomance (without the big upgrade in price)? The Corvette is more than just a world class sport's car, its GM's flagship vehicle.. the top of the line in performance & technology. They will not miss the boat on this one. Im expecting the C7 to be announced with the following:

2014 C7: $60k 500hp 5.5L smallblock with DI & VVT. Aluminum frame, magnetic suspension, luxury interior, 14" Brembo brakes, 19/20" wheels with 345 rear tires. Optional DCT & Recaro sport seats. Possible 7 sp manual transmission.
2015 C7Z06: $85k 700hp 5.5L supercharged smallblock, beefed up bottom end with DI & VVT. All of the above, 15" Carbon brakes, CF hood & roof, 19/20" wheels with 365 rear tires, splitter/diffuser/sideskirt, Recaro sport seats. Optional DCT, Possible 7 sp manual transmission.

ZR1 will not return. 427 engine will not return. GS will not return. The ZR1 was too expensive and didnt sell well enough to return. The 427 was both powerful & historical, but pushed the smallblock design to its limit. More reliable HP will come from a smaller supercharged 5.5L smallblock. One of the mistakes the "old" GM made was making too many models of a vehicle, the "New" GM has greatly slimmed down its model line so that it can focus more on making one great selling vehicle vs. two OK selling models. So I think that the GS & base coupe will be combined into a single vehicle.. that has meets a comfortable middle ground on price & features. Dont count out an AWD option for the C7. HP is no longer a problem, but traction is. And to make the car accelerate any faster more traction is need. Pretty much every ZR1 competitor already has AWD available (911, GTR, Ferrari FF, Aventador, R8, etc).

Last edited by Daekwan06; 05-21-2012 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:28 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,460 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Yeah, but we're all supposed to be freaking out about some PR war that apparently the good guys have already lost, remember?
Old 05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by mpuzach
The C6 will be very tough to beat IMO. I'm sure that the C7 will be an improvement but there's not much about the C6 that needs to be improved upon. Time will tell.
Originally Posted by Gary '09 C6
no; it'll be what it'll be...
this has gone on for pages, and I've only read the first two posts above of Mike and Gary, but agree with them both. I am anticipating what the new C7 will look like, not with anxiety, but to see just how good GM still is. that's not said negatively. after all, look at the C6!

I'll either luv the "7" or really dislike it, but I probably won't be neutral. I can hardly wait!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
They have always done that and always will, and it's not exclusive to GM.

Corvette has always made changes year after year to better the car. But not all manufacturers let the customers drive their cars before all the bugs are worked out. I'm guessing GM has changed as quality has very much increased. However I'm not taking the chance.

I'm a little surprised at all the doom and gloom about the engine of the C7. Nobody here has a clue what the displacement or HP will be. Those that do know will not tell us. A quick search just a few years back (2009) has thread after thread of how the Corvette would no longer be produced and it was the end of a era.

With Ford producing a Mustang with great numbers and the Camaro nipping at the heals of the Vette. I'm betting the C7 is going to be one heck of a machine.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:04 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carver Electrics
Corvette has always made changes year after year to better the car. But not all manufacturers let the customers drive their cars before all the bugs are worked out. I'm guessing GM has changed as quality has very much increased. However I'm not taking the chance.

I'm a little surprised at all the doom and gloom about the engine of the C7. Nobody here has a clue what the displacement or HP will be. Those that do know will not tell us. A quick search just a few years back (2009) has thread after thread of how the Corvette would no longer be produced and it was the end of a era.

With Ford producing a Mustang with great numbers and the Camaro nipping at the heals of the Vette. I'm betting the C7 is going to be one heck of a machine.

Well, you're from Sin City, right? As for me, I'm hoping for the best. I would not know what kind of odds to put on your bet.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:05 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Not apprehensive at all. I've talked to too many people working on it, and without actually getting any info.....I know I'll want one.
And I'll get one. See, once that decision is made, life becomes so much simpler.
Now.....how to afford one.....
Old 05-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,071 Likes on 593 Posts

Carver Electrics:With Ford producing a Mustang with great numbers and the Camaro nipping at the heals of the Vette. I'm betting the C7 is going to be one heck of a machine.
It better be or it'll go the route of the "Wooly Mammoth" ! However, I cannot see GM NOT making the C7 the best ever Corvette. Let's face it, when they came out the first C6's , all the competition quickly outstipped them and it wasn't until the ZO6 and later the ZR1 that they stayed even. The C7 must be a leap forward or the Corvette's will be only expensive cruisers competing against Nissan Z's and Miata's.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:11 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Campbell
It better be or it'll go the route of the "Wooly Mammoth" ! However, I cannot see GM NOT making the C7 the best ever Corvette. Let's face it, when they came out the first C6's , all the competition quickly outstipped them and it wasn't until the ZO6 and later the ZR1 that they stayed even. The C7 must be a leap forward or the Corvette's will be only expensive cruisers competing against Nissan Z's and Miata's.
Today's competition is murderous, and is not likely to relent any time soon. "Made In America" still counts for something, but honestly, most people just buy what they want.

Get notified of new replies

To Are you apprehensive about C7?

Old 05-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Carver Electrics
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
[/B]

Well, you're from Sin City, right? As for me, I'm hoping for the best. I would not know what kind of odds to put on your bet.
I'm also hoping for the best. I just do not believe GM would allow a stock Camaro or Mustang to be faster than a Corvette.

GM has a lot riding on the C7. Just think about the press the car is going to get. It will without question be on every cover of every car magazine when released. It will be the star of next years auto shows in every big city.

I know GM is a big target especially on the forum, and often deservedly so. But there is no way GM will not make the C7 a very special, and a very fast car.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:23 PM
fyreline
Supporting Lifetime
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,271 Likes on 509 Posts
2023 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Unmodified
2021 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C1 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2016 C1 of the Year Finalist

It wouldn't be accurate to say I'm "apprehensive" about the C7. The Jalopnik rendering, which we are being told IS the C7, doesn't strike me as being enough of a stretch from the existing design. Now, having said that, if it is quicker, lighter, and has a much nicer interior it will almost certainly be a success.

And that's good.

I have no plans on buying one their first year out . . . but the second year? We'll see.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:29 PM
HyperX
Team Owner

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

One thing is for sure, I would NEVER get the first year model. Both the Z06 and C6 had major changes after the first year. Rear end on the 2005 C6 was upgraded in 2006, etc. It usually takes GM 2 years to iron out the initial bugs, after that they just improve on it.

Quick Reply: Are you apprehensive about C7?