C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 11:59 AM
jasonn5
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Porsche

I know , I know, not a corvette. Just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with the Porsche Cayman S. Thinking of getting one to sit next to the Z.. Thanks.. Mike
Old 05-20-2012, 01:58 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 16 Posts

My reactions are almost entirely subjective, of course. The Cayman S was the one other car I seriously considered before buying a vette. There is no doubt it's a wonderful car. My reasons for going with the vette: (1) Sheer beauty and excitement; I think the C6 is the prettiest car I've ever seen for under $150,000, and maybe the prettiest in all. My IOM vette turns heads, consistently and often. The Cayman S turned my head (heck, even a slightly modded VW turns my head), but it seemed not as many others' folks'. For a different ride, I use my Juke! (2) Purchase value. By the time you get done figuring all the a la carte stuff on the Porsche, it's a lot more money for not a lot more car, and in some ways a lot less. (3) Service cost and ease of service and getting parts. I used to have a Benz sedan; once it was out of warranty, I realized that having it serviced by a Benz dealer was one of the worst values in the history of cars. I had a great independent mechanic, but what do you do 500 miles from home? I suspect Porsche is similarly limiting in terms of availability of good service -- and the biggest difference is my suspicion that a Porsche requires more TLC than a Benz sedan. (4) The intangibles: I feel better in the vette. I like vette people, too.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:05 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Parts and service is the biggest reason I didn't even look at European cars when it came time to find another toy! I love them, I just don't like what it costs to maintain them.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:31 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by 91redragtop
Parts and service is the biggest reason I didn't even look at European cars when it came time to find another toy! I love them, I just don't like what it costs to maintain them.
Just had the same discussion yesterday with a group of us
Old 05-20-2012, 02:40 PM
greenie99
Burning Brakes

Mike, funny that you should broach this subject. Ive been looking at the new 911 as a possible option to the 2013 short-run Vette. Had 13 Corvettes so far and thought that I might try something different. My conclusion is to stick with the Chevy! While the Porsche is a great car, it aint a V8! There is something about the sound of a Corvette especially with an aftermarket exhaust. Another point is that no one can convince me that the Porsche is worth twice the cost of Americas sweetheart.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:49 PM
C7 BOB
Melting Slicks

Received 86 Likes on 44 Posts

I drove a Cayman for a couple days, and the thing I didn't like was the noise and vibration. In other mid-engine cars, the passenger compartment is separate from the engine, whereas the Cayman has the engine under the floor of the cargo area. Also, the engine has to be serviced from underneath - $$$$$.

Last edited by C7 BOB; 05-20-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:28 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 05-20-2012, 03:45 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by jasonn5
I know , I know, not a corvette. Just wanted to know if anyone has had experience with the Porsche Cayman S. Thinking of getting one to sit next to the Z.. Thanks.. Mike
what's the price?
Old 05-20-2012, 03:50 PM
RickintheOC
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also explored the Cayman before I bought my Vette. Most reviews of them state they are better handling than the 911 and question is it worth spending the extra cash for the 911. Don't tell that to a 911 owner. I learned in the Porsche forum there is a hierarchy and 911 owners snub their nose at Cayman owners. The Cayman doesn't get the respect from most Porsche owners and it is is viewed as a "Chick's car." In addition, the maintenance costs is outrageous! I couldn't be more happier buying a Vette, but more importantly, bought American made!

Old 05-20-2012, 04:24 PM
nmerhaut
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

I drove a new Cayman a couple years ago. I also thought it was noisy and, perhaps I'm in the minority, I didn't like the seats--uncomfortable for me.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:16 PM
MisterMidlifeCrisis
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was also in the position of making a choice between a Cayman S and a Corvette when I purchased early in 2011. The Cayman is significantly a more satisfying drive through the twisties at moderate speeds. There's a level of control feedback in a Cayman that is suppressed in a Corvette until you get to nearly race track speeds. The Cayman feels light and much more willing to rotate. I personally thought the sport seats were great, with almost race seat levels of lateral support in exchange for a more confining fit designed for a height/weight proportional individual. The PDK is technologically way more advanced than either Corvette transmission.

There's more mechanical noise in a Cayman, and more tire noise in a Corvette. The Cayman's storage in the frunk is about a third of that in a Corvette. Power in a Cayman feels like it's about a third less than with an LS3 unless you really wind it up.

Equipped the way I wanted, a Cayman S was about $85k with practically zero discounts. The base Coupe (the model I wanted and ended up buying) equipped the way I wanted was $57k discounted to $47k. The $85k Cayman was way more well equipped but that was due to the way the option packages came. What sealed the deal was that I got a three-day Spring Mountain course for free.

So, 15 months and 13k miles later in a C6, I think it is fairly easy to get a base Coupe to Cayman S levels of handling without violating my warranty. Starting with my F55, I need a Z51 front spring, Z51 sways with poly bushings, better tires, a better driver's seat, and time to play with ride height and alignment. I'd end up with a much faster track car, albeit with less control feedback, with about $20-25k in savings in my pocket. As a performance bargain, a C6 is practically impossible to beat.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:53 PM
THE BUD MAN
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I am getting a 2013 Porsche Panamera GTS when it arrives next week. It is a replacement for my 2010 Panamera S. My 2011 GS is still my "hotrod" but this 430 HP, 0-60 in 4.3 sec "family car" is no slouch. I am happy driving either one.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:58 PM
Trans C7
Instructor

I owned the 2012Cayman R, I would highly suggest anyone drive one with race seats, handled like it was a rails, a great car, I wanted more power , bought the Turbo PDK rocket , they do make a turbo for the Cayman R, I sell Real Estate, it was a impulse buy, bought the Cayman S 2012 as a real estate car, have the 2011 GS for fun, allot cheaper, but trust me the Cayman R is a great machine, and you can get ceramics on that car, Porsches just build great cars!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:11 PM
tampatopless
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good thread
Old 05-20-2012, 08:10 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by jasonn5
see my other post on the same topic,...we've had 'em as loaners for our 911,..so we have some actual wheel time with them,..me loves them little buggers!,..not as fast as our 911,..but WHAT a sensation to drive,..better steering and handling feel by far than our 911!,...would make a nice compliment to your vette,..vette for speed and performance,..cayman for the sheer joy of the drive!,..it's that good,..in my opinion,..and i've always felt that THIS should be porsches top dog,..if they'd let it!,...its that good!,..i don't think you'd be dissapointed,..other than the not so fast aspect of it,..
Old 05-20-2012, 08:18 PM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

I like the Cayman and considered one vs the vette. Its a world class car with lots of great attributes but entirely different than a vette in almost every way.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:19 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by RickintheOC
I also explored the Cayman before I bought my Vette. Most reviews of them state they are better handling than the 911 and question is it worth spending the extra cash for the 911. Don't tell that to a 911 owner. I learned in the Porsche forum there is a hierarchy and 911 owners snub their nose at Cayman owners. The Cayman doesn't get the respect from most Porsche owners and it is is viewed as a "Chick's car." In addition, the maintenance costs is outrageous! I couldn't be more happier buying a Vette, but more importantly, bought American made!

not so true among the prschephiles i hang with,..we never "snub" the cayman,...and most of my car bros actually,..like me,..say it's the better handling of the two,...not as powerful,..but only cause porsche deliberately derails the power to maintain,..yes,..that "heirarchy" as you rightly put it!,..nobody i hang with considers it a "chicks" car,...maybe a very few porsche bros do with the boxster,..but heres how i've always seen it,..boxster saved porsches bacon in the 90's,..god-awful cayenne saved 'em in the 2000's,..and that freakin' panamera is savin' em in the 2010's!,..they outsell the 911 by a wide margin now,..just strange to us old school porsche dudes,..but the company DOES seem to know it's marketplace,..so,..no hate on the cayman from this car-lovin' dude!,...loves me my corvettes too!!!,..best damn performance bargain you can buy!,..and a damn good car now too!,...i think just as well made now as any porsche!...

Get notified of new replies

To Porsche

Old 05-20-2012, 08:21 PM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by geezerman
see my other post on the same topic,...we've had 'em as loaners for our 911,..so we have some actual wheel time with them,..me loves them little buggers!,..not as fast as our 911,..but WHAT a sensation to drive,..better steering and handling feel by far than our 911!,...would make a nice compliment to your vette,..vette for speed and performance,..cayman for the sheer joy of the drive!,..it's that good,..in my opinion,..and i've always felt that THIS should be porsches top dog,..if they'd let it!,...its that good!,..i don't think you'd be dissapointed,..other than the not so fast aspect of it,..
I have a friend who replaced his '04 'vette with a Cayman. He loves it. It is definitely NOT a "chick" or "gay" car; it's the real deal, even though it's kind of artificially "reined in" so the 911 remains the halo car for the Porsche marque.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:40 PM
geezerman
Racer

Originally Posted by HummelS
I have a friend who replaced his '04 'vette with a Cayman. He loves it. It is definitely NOT a "chick" or "gay" car; it's the real deal, even though it's kind of artificially "reined in" so the 911 remains the halo car for the Porsche marque.
..this^ big time!,...definatly very "different" then a vette,...but sort of a nice compliment to it i think!,..vette for speed,..cayman for joy of the ride!,...and for those that would deride it as a "gay" car,..i think if you actually had some wheel-time in 'em, you'd decide you were wrong!,...i've spent wheel time in lot's of cars,...test drivin' lots of cars to decide what we like best,..only car i very vaguely MIGHT consider a tiny bit gay,..was the ferrari california,..car was kinda "all about the show"!,...didn't feel any faster than our 911,...and was all about the "glitz and the glam",...showy,..felt like you were prancing around in your show off mobile,..wife and i quicly decided a definate "NO" on that one,..other car that was kinda similar, was the maserati quadrasport or whatever it's called,..similar,..and even SLOWER!,...but we did get a free box of steaks out of that one!,...if ya test drove it to "hopefully" ditch your 911,..they gave ya a free box of omaha steaks,..when asked how we liked it,..i said,.."it makes me feel even OLDER than i already am!,..and i'm freakin' OLD!",..they didn't like our response,..kept the 911,..but did get the box of steaks!,..sweet deal!,..NEXT UP!,..ZR1 VETTE!,.. oh yeah BABY!,...can't wait!
Old 05-20-2012, 09:37 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by Raazor

This is a C6 Cayman?

Quick Reply: Porsche