C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Experience With Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 RunOnFlat

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:47 AM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Any Experience With Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 RunOnFlat

I'm taking delivery on my new '12 GS from Lingenfelter in the next couple of weeks. I've been told that the OEM tires aren't particularly good. Did a search here and found a decent recommendation on Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Also picked up some comments that run flats are typically never as good. Given the choice between best safety all the time or the unlikely convenience of a run flat, I'll take safety. But the Eagle F1 Supercar looks like it might be both, extreme performance plus run flat. Ought to be for the price. Experiences?
Old 05-20-2012, 09:54 AM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Seems like some Z06's came with these, and the wet weather performance is awful ??
Old 05-20-2012, 09:57 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by CCIE
I'm taking delivery on my new '12 GS from Lingenfelter in the next couple of weeks. I've been told that the OEM tires aren't particularly good. Did a search here and found a decent recommendation on Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Also picked up some comments that run flats are typically never as good. Given the choice between best safety all the time or the unlikely convenience of a run flat, I'll take safety. But the Eagle F1 Supercar looks like it might be both, extreme performance plus run flat. Ought to be for the price. Experiences?
Nothing wrong with runflats. Just don't make the mistake of comparing one brand's run flat tires to another brand's non run flat. As a run flat believer, I'm running the Bridgestone RE050A on my Z06 and if I wanted to pay more money, I would go with the Michelin PS-2 run flat(ZP). If I wanted to go with a non run flat, I think I would go with the Michelin Super Sports, if money wasn't a consideration.

I'm not a fan of the Goodyear SuperCar tires.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:47 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I have 2 friends that have the Goodyear Gen II tires. The thing that bothers me is that even when they are new they look like they have very little tread on them. I think I would look around for other tires. My main reason is that tires for a Corvette are expensive any way you look at it. I want as big a bang for my dollar as possible. I hear Michelin gives a whole lot more tread depth when new. Just my 2 cents worth...
Old 05-20-2012, 10:53 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulB
I have 2 friends that have the Goodyear Gen II tires. The thing that bothers me is that even when they are new they look like they have very little tread on them. I think I would look around for other tires. My main reason is that tires for a Corvette are expensive any way you look at it. I want as big a bang for my dollar as possible. I hear Michelin gives a whole lot more tread depth when new. Just my 2 cents worth...
Bridgestone RE050A runflats start out with 10/32". After 6,500 miles, I'm down to 8/32", right where I started out with the oringinal new Supercar tires.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

On Saturday mornings I sometimes have breakfast with some long time Corvette friends. The discussion came up that Goodyear says the tread depth is 8/32nds on the OEM Goodyears. One of the fellows says he believes that to be incorrect and the actual tread depth on new OEM Goodyears is closer to 6/32nds. This comes up as I met someone local a couple of weeks ago that just got a 2012 GS Coupe. Goodyear told him new they were 8/32nds and his and their measures were both 6/32nds. In looking at these 6/32nds tires they dont look new at all. When he bought the car it had 70 miles on it. Does anyone have anything to add to this tread depth thing. Thanks...

Last edited by PaulB; 05-20-2012 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Radioman
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CCIE
Seems like some Z06's came with these, and the wet weather performance is awful ??

The GEN: 2 is awful in the rain. But then again, I was told I should not drive a Corvette in the rain...
Old 05-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

"...Given the choice between best safety all the time or the unlikely convenience of a run flat, I'll take safety."

I think you already answered your own question.

There are pros and cons to each and FWIW many consider runflats to be the safety choice. If I have a blowout at 75+ mph I'd consider having runflats more than just a "convenience." If I have a flat tire at 2AM on a Saturday night in BFE (or in Compton) I might consider runflats more than just a "convenience." Whatever the odds bad things happen.

I don't know how often you'll be pushing the performance envelope on the street but IMO there's no question non-runflats provide superior 'performance' characteristics. There's a trade-off for runflat capability. For street use I valued the keep-on-truckin' capability and peace-of-mind runflat tires provide. Runflat tires IMO provide adequate performance on the street. For performance at the track I'd ultimately go with non-runflat tires (I think it's beneficial for novice drivers to first track their car and learn with their 'normal' street tires...even runflats). With experience and when you get more serious about tracking your car you have 2 sets of wheels/tires...one for the street and one for the track. When you get real serious about performance and tracking your car you only have multiple sets of track wheels/tires.

Obviously, the choice is yours and much depends on how you intend to use your car and your tolerance for risk. Although, I think you've already decided you might look into Michelin Zero Pressure runflats. I've never used them but I feel they'd be a better performing tire than the Goodyear Supercar runflats.

Have a blast with your car and whichever type of tire you go with!
Old 05-20-2012, 12:39 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by PaulB
On Saturday mornings I sometimes have breakfast with some long time Corvette friends. The discussion came up that Goodyear says the tread depth is 8/32nds on the OEM Goodyears. One of the fellows says he believes that to be incorrect and the actual tread depth on new OEM Goodyears is closer to 6/32nds. This comes up as I met someone local a couple of weeks ago that just got a 2012 GS Coupe. Goodyear told him new they were 8/32nds and his and their measures were both 6/32nds. In looking at these 6/32nds tires they dont look new at all. When he bought the car it had 70 miles on it. Does anyone have anything to add to this tread depth thing. Thanks...
I can measure mine when they arrive with about exactly the same mileage in a couple weeks, if it still seems relevant by then. Mine only have the mileage from Buds to Lingenfelter, their test runs, and then it'll be shipped door to door.

Originally Posted by Wayne O
"...Given the choice between best safety all the time or the unlikely convenience of a run flat, I'll take safety."

I think you already answered your own question.

There are pros and cons to each and FWIW many consider runflats to be the safety choice. If I have a blowout at 75+ mph I'd consider having runflats more than just a "convenience." If I have a flat tire at 2AM on a Saturday night in BFE (or in Compton) I might consider runflats more than just a "convenience." Whatever the odds bad things happen.

I don't know how often you'll be pushing the performance envelope on the street but IMO there's no question non-runflats provide superior 'performance' characteristics. There's a trade-off for runflat capability. For street use I valued the keep-on-truckin' capability and peace-of-mind runflat tires provide. Runflat tires IMO provide adequate performance on the street. For performance at the track I'd ultimately go with non-runflat tires (I think it's beneficial for novice drivers to first track their car and learn with their 'normal' street tires...even runflats). With experience and when you get more serious about tracking your car you have 2 sets of wheels/tires...one for the street and one for the track. When you get real serious about performance and tracking your car you only have multiple sets of track wheels/tires.

Obviously, the choice is yours and much depends on how you intend to use your car and your tolerance for risk. Although, I think you've already decided you might look into Michelin Zero Pressure runflats. I've never used them but I feel they'd be a better performing tire than the Goodyear Supercar runflats.

Have a blast with your car and whichever type of tire you go with!
Honestly, you shed add'l light. I asked the question partially because I knew I wasn't getting the whole picture. I don't think of blowouts really ever happening to me. In Northern Virginia, you just don't have roads with that kind of debris on them. My only chance of a blowout would be on side roads with temp pavement at low speed...normally. It never crossed my mind, high speed blowout. My vote for safety was thinking superior handling of non-run flats. But you're saying run flats to prevent the occasional friggin' disaster. Fair enough.

My tolerance for risk is very low. I'm always a very careful driver.
Old 05-20-2012, 02:45 PM
CGGS
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Gen:2 tires are amazing at what they were designed for, climates without a true winter (California, Florida, etc., where most of these cars are) and handling.

They are not the best for a drag race situation as the stiff sidewalls don't allow a lot of flex for traction, but they really shine when in warmer temps. in the twisties. I believe that is also why the tread depth is less when new and the reason that they set the alignment specs as they do. They are after ultimate handling.

Some people prefer straight line performance and some are after handling. I am a handling guy, I much prefer carving up mountain roads, back roads, and on-off ramps, rather than stop light to stop light.

I have test driven a few C6 Z06's with the Gen:2 tires in warm weather and they are like glue and the turn-in is crisp and sharp and that is what I like in a sports car. The Corvette used to be a straight-line car, now it is a canyon carver before a dragster.

Every tire has its good points and bad, the good with the Gen:2 is the handling, the good with the Michelin's is traction, but you lose the sharp turn-in because they use a softer side-wall.
Old 05-20-2012, 04:55 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing wrong with the G:2's on the street or track. However, not a rain or cold weather tire and they will wear faster as they are pretty soft. The Michelin sport cups are a little better traction and post a little higher skid pad numbers.

I would just run the G:2's until you need to replace. Both tires offer the best dry traction available unless you go to something like a Hooser R6(track tire).
Old 05-20-2012, 05:25 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by CGGS
I think the Gen:2 tires are amazing at what they were designed for, climates without a true winter (California, Florida, etc., where most of these cars are) and handling.

They are not the best for a drag race situation as the stiff sidewalls don't allow a lot of flex for traction, but they really shine when in warmer temps. in the twisties. I believe that is also why the tread depth is less when new and the reason that they set the alignment specs as they do. They are after ultimate handling.

Some people prefer straight line performance and some are after handling. I am a handling guy, I much prefer carving up mountain roads, back roads, and on-off ramps, rather than stop light to stop light.

I have test driven a few C6 Z06's with the Gen:2 tires in warm weather and they are like glue and the turn-in is crisp and sharp and that is what I like in a sports car. The Corvette used to be a straight-line car, now it is a canyon carver before a dragster.

Every tire has its good points and bad, the good with the Gen:2 is the handling, the good with the Michelin's is traction, but you lose the sharp turn-in because they use a softer side-wall.

I had gatorbacks going back to 98 vette (lasted 80,000 miles!), many sets of GSC's, F1 super car and now the F1 supercar G;2's in my 2011 GS. In my opinion G2's are by far the best Goodyear tires I have ever owned and they have ever made. Razor sharp handling, great traction (you'll slip long before they will) , comfortable, quiet, who cares about what the thread depth is!. They do have a wear rating of 220 and GY, as best as I know is the only run flat which can be repaired and still keep its speed rating (within some parameters) and only one that does have road hazard warranty for the first year and 2/32nd thread wear (I had experience with this due to nail very close to the shoulder) GY gave me a brand new tire). I fully intend to replace them with G2's when it comes time for new tires. (unless my experience substantially changes between now and then)

I do live in FL however where cold temps are not a factor, and I do not drive it in the rain or wet. I also am not a quarter mile but more of handling guy where the stiff sidewalls actually help. Unless I get only 8000 miles out of them (and at 4700 they look like new) I am going to keep them until cords are showing, and with wear the handling will actually improve! (so I presume)

And you know what, I like buying American at every chance I get.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:38 PM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsflyer2011

I had gatorbacks going back to 98 vette (lasted 80,000 miles!), many sets of GSC's, F1 super car and now the F1 supercar G;2's in my 2011 GS. In my opinion G2's are by far the best Goodyear tires I have ever owned and they have ever made. Razor sharp handling, great traction (you'll slip long before they will) , comfortable, quiet, who cares about what the thread depth is!. They do have a wear rating of 220 and GY, as best as I know is the only run flat which can be repaired and still keep its speed rating (within some parameters) and only one that does have road hazard warranty for the first year and 2/32nd thread wear (I had experience with this due to nail very close to the shoulder) GY gave me a brand new tire). I fully intend to replace them with G2's when it comes time for new tires. (unless my experience substantially changes between now and then)

I do live in FL however where cold temps are not a factor, and I do not drive it in the rain or wet. I also am not a quarter mile but more of handling guy where the stiff sidewalls actually help. Unless I get only 8000 miles out of them (and at 4700 they look like new) I am going to keep them until cords are showing, and with wear the handling will actually improve! (so I presume)

And you know what, I like buying American at every chance I get.
I corded mine at 5,800 miles. Great track tire for traction, I expected the tires to wear fast. Took a week for two to get shipped in. Kind of a hard tire to find.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:44 PM
CCIE
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I could wait until the fall to ask in a new thread, but might as well while I'm at it ask what the best all season, cold weather tire is for the car as well. I'll probably get another set of wheels and keep my summer tires on the originals and the off season tires on an aftermarket set. At least that's an option anyway. Need to think about space, see if I can store them well.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Seadawg
Safety Car

Received 155 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Radioman

The GEN: 2 is awful in the rain. But then again, I was told I should not drive a Corvette in the rain...
I respectively disagree, I had them new on my 2011 Grand Sport, and they held very good in deep rain, and on rainy roads in general.

To the OP, I think I would leave the GEN2's on it, if it were my car, and during that time, I would try to ride in other vettes that have different tires, and personally talk to the owners in your area.

I did something similar. I went to the Spring Mountain driving school, and got out of my vette (I had about 5k on the GEN2's), went there and drove their cars with new Michelins, and the GEN2's compared pretty similar.

The GEN1's were a different (bad) story, I had them on an earlier vette, and there was no comparison. They slid much easier, and were much more unpredictable. No wet road traction either.

HOWEVER, when I got over 14k on the GEN2's I noticed that they did NOT hold well at all when the outside temps got into the 60's, unless you really warmed them up. Wet road traction was still there though.

I also attended a Barretts Auto Auction just after my driving school, and I talked to the Michelin and Bridgestone tire engineers.

I then decided on the Bridgestone runflats, and they have continued to surprise me with how well they perform. They are noisier than the Michelins, but grip on wet and dry roads very well. It all temps above the mid 30's too.

The LS3 cannot get more than a bark with a hard 1 - 2 shift, and they really hold well in 1st gear too.

The Z06 vettes that use them is what finally convinced me to give them a try. I have about 5k on them, and still like them.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experience using the SuperCar(1st generation), the GY GS2 (base Vette tire). Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 ZP (runflat), and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Super Sport (non run flat) on a Z51 car.

80% of C6 owners who wonder what tire to go with should just get the Michelin PS2 ZP and not waste time wondering what tire to get, the best all around tire for the C6, there is no debate about that.

For those who want to drive to their HPDE or Autocross without changing tires (which is the idea behind outfitting the C6 with GY SuperCars) the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Super Sport is a good alternative to the SuperCars, but not necessarily better (but about $2-300 less money, so even if they are rated the same, they are a better choice).

And for those few who live in areas where it is possible to get snow (but less than 3” otherwise you are snowplowing) or driving where the road surface temp is often 40 and below, often with precipitation, and are willing to give up performance, the Pilot Sport PS2 A/S is a good alternative to the GY GS2 (base Vette tires). The only compalaint I have with the base tire is, while cruising on a long trip, the noise (when you are in the twisties, only grandma should care).

The thing you have to remember about the SuperCars is this:
They were designed and intended to be a high performance summer tire, they will wear quicker than normal due to their soft tread. If your alignment is correct, expect 10K (if you drive as the designer intended) to 20K (if you drive like grandma). 15K would be expected tread life for a normal Vette owner with a proper alignment.

Expect slippage at 40F and below, the good news is that the slippage is predictable (in relation to driver input, the harder and earlier you get on the gas, the earlier and longer slippage will occur, it should only scare grandma). If you are easy on the gas, slippage will not happen.

Wet weather when new is good (don’t expect better with the Michelin Super Sports) but keep in mind when 60% of tread is gone, so is 60% of the original wet traction.

if you want a longer lasting tire with comparable handling performance, but better wet and slightly better cold performance, less noise, and a more comfortable ride while retaining the runflats of the SuperCars the Michelin Pilot PS2 ZP is the way to go.

Last edited by cadguymark; 05-21-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:11 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

I've had three (yes three) flats since buying my car in September. One in Virginia Beach, Virginia and two in the Raleigh, NC area in my first 3,000 miles. Two long screws and one piece of metal through the sidewall. Two tires were replaced under the GY 100% replacement warranty and one was plugged. I'm now a believer.

Get notified of new replies

To Any Experience With Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 RunOnFlat

Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 AM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

My experience is with two sets of the first generation Goodyear Supercars and my current set of Michelen PS2 ZP's on a Z51. The PS2 ZP's win all comparisons. They are quieter, corner better, have better wet traction, and so far seem to be wearing longer (after about 4K use). The first set of GY's were pretty well gone by 15K (although I pushed them to threads at 18K). The second set were gone by 12K. The other thing I hated about the GY's when they got partially worn was their directional stability. They seemed to grab every groove in the pavement and try to steer the car on their own; very frustrating. No such problem with the Michelins. So, I am very happy I went with the PS2 ZP's for my third set of tires on this car; and if my experience continues to be the same for the life of these, the replacements will be the same tires.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:36 AM
redzone
Le Mans Master

Received 149 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by CGGS

GM claims they pulled a 1.69 60ft with the G2's on a ZL1. Which is DR territory.

Your mileage will most certainly vary...........
Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
My experience is with two sets of the first generation Goodyear Supercars and my current set of Michelen PS2 ZP's on a Z51. The PS2 ZP's win all comparisons. They are quieter, corner better, have better wet traction, and so far seem to be wearing longer (after about 4K use). The first set of GY's were pretty well gone by 15K (although I pushed them to threads at 18K). The second set were gone by 12K. The other thing I hated about the GY's when they got partially worn was their directional stability. They seemed to grab every groove in the pavement and try to steer the car on their own; very frustrating. No such problem with the Michelins. So, I am very happy I went with the PS2 ZP's for my third set of tires on this car; and if my experience continues to be the same for the life of these, the replacements will be the same tires.
did you check your alignment? toe in will do that, and the more mileage on the tire the worse it gets, 4K really isn't enough to know, in about another 4k you will experience the same thing if you didn't take the toe in out,... and by then it will be too late, tires will have insides worn

while I agree that the PS2 are generally a better tire, I think you are mistaken about the cornering ability of the GY Supercar, they are equal to the PS2 Super Sports which Michelin itself claim are superior to the PS2 ZP. JMO based on experience with them.

Last edited by cadguymark; 05-21-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Any Experience With Eagle F1 Supercar G: 2 RunOnFlat