C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help CF memebers: severe accident

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 12:55 AM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need Help CF memebers: severe accident

Recently involved in accident resulting in severe head & neck injury. The specifics car : 2005, 6MN, Z-51, 3LT, 'vert, accident: in order to avoid frontal collision, had to swerve quickly, left rear tire caught on shoulder pulling the car into sideways slide. Police on scene, accident considered unavoidible, report recorded as no fault. Struck concrete lightpost between rear wheel and rear of door at apprx. 40 mph. Side airbag equipt veh. which did not deploy, head went through window breaking glass, possibly hit pole (no memory), resulting in tramatic brain injury, severe neck, minor back injury. Impact of body to door severe enough to rip rear latch from door jamb & dislodge front hinges to point door was detached from vehicle sans wiring.

The airbag deploying could/would have significantly altered severity of injuries. Seeking advise re: the failure of vehicle safety features, past experience, etc.

Injuries, not life threatening, although head and neck injuries perminent. Still seeking treatment options. Any help specific to vehicle safety feature failure would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Mike V.; 05-19-2012 at 01:44 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Did this happen to you?
Old 05-19-2012, 01:40 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I could be mistaken, but I believe when this has happened in the past people have commented that this may be consistent with the design. If I remember correctly, the impact sensors are built into the doors. No direct impact to the doors themselves and the airbags don't deploy. In the event that the car is struck on the side in the front or rear (as would be the case you mention), the body would not necessarily be traveling sideways (possibly diagonally, or to the front or rear), and an airbag deploying directly at the side could make things worse.

Again, this is what I remember from previous posts, but I could have it wrong.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:42 AM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Did this happen to you?
Yes
Old 05-19-2012, 05:37 AM
foremaw
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 114 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Sorry to hear about your accident. There are very specific conditions/events controlled by the sensors/computers under which airbags deploy. If those conditions are not present the airbags do not deploy to prevent additional injuries caused by deployment, which is a violent act in and of itself. If you were not hit in the driver's door or some other criteria were not met I presume that is why there was no airbag deployment. If you believe it was equipment failure, your insurance company should be assisting you in determining that. Also the Event Data Recorder may have information of value. Attorneys who specialize in accident recovery cases are also knowledgeable on this. One caution, do not get your legal advice on CF. I am sure others who have detailed knowledge on the airbag system can add more. I am certainly not an expert on it. I hope all turns out well.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:37 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree with foremaw.

If the impact was between the rear wheel and door, that could be why the airbag didn't go off.

Some more info is in this thread
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...ot-deploy.html

I'd still seek legal counsel though.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:51 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I can add nothing to the above, but I am sorry to read of your accident. Hope you feel better.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:27 AM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

I cant think of the name of the site but the Feds put out notices on recalls. I get an e mail from this group everytime there is a recall on a Chevrolet. If you have not done this I suggest contacting this group and maybe they can get you some info. If I could think of the name of this site I would give it to you. But thats part of getting older, my memory isnt what it used to be. If I remember it I will come back and add. Good Luck in your recovery...
Old 05-19-2012, 07:35 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by foremaw
If you believe it was equipment failure, your insurance company should be assisting you in determining that. Also the Event Data Recorder may have information of value. Attorneys who specialize in accident recovery cases are also knowledgeable on this. One caution, do not get your legal advice on CF.
I hope this works out for you.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 AM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by foremaw
Sorry to hear about your accident. There are very specific conditions/events controlled by the sensors/computers under which airbags deploy. If those conditions are not present the airbags do not deploy to prevent additional injuries caused by deployment, which is a violent act in and of itself. If you were not hit in the driver's door or some other criteria were not met I presume that is why there was no airbag deployment. If you believe it was equipment failure, your insurance company should be assisting you in determining that. Also the Event Data Recorder may have information of value. Attorneys who specialize in accident recovery cases are also knowledgeable on this. One caution, do not get your legal advice on CF. I am sure others who have detailed knowledge on the airbag system can add more. I am certainly not an expert on it. I hope all turns out well.
I am already on this portion & pursing it. I worked at Honeywell who produced the simpliest sensors, invented the T-stat, to Aero guidence systems for space shuttle. These sensors cannot be that specific given the cost & design endpoint, to keep your head from going through the window. Fact of the mattter is I have sustained life changing injuries intuitively that may have been impacted by an airbag that should have deployed.

So I am looking for more technical, definitive input if anyone is out there.

Again, thanks for the kind response.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Mike V.
Burning Brakes

Thanks all.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:10 AM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Best of luck to you.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:29 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have your lawyer contact Chevy and ask for the data regarding air-bag deployment and system design. I would think they would have to comply.

You could file with the NTSB to get it on record.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Goatdad
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13

No valid info from me on this subject but i 'm very sorry to hear about your injuries and wish you the very best, good luck and take care my friend
Old 05-19-2012, 10:58 AM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by rayk
I would have your lawyer contact Chevy and ask for the data regarding air-bag deployment and system design. I would think they would have to comply.

GM won't give your attorney ANYTHING unless he actually files suit and can use the legal discovery process to force disclosure. But if he and you are just on a fishing expedition, you could be liable for a frivolous lawsuit. And to repeat, do NOT seek legal advice, including this paragraph, from the CF .

Now having typed the above, Mike, thanx for the help you have given me in the past. I hope your situation turns out as well as possible, given the circumstances.

- Lee
Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 05-19-2012, 11:03 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm sorry about your injuries. I think a qualified accident-injury attorney would be better suited to ferret out documented cases of safety equipment failures, court precedents, safety systems design information and government regulations pertaining thereto. All the best with your medical treatments and I hope you have a full and speedy recovery.

Get notified of new replies

To Need Help CF memebers: severe accident

Old 05-19-2012, 11:15 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rayk

Can't an accident be just an accident?
Why does it have to be someones fault?
If you want to sue someone,just sue the guy who put the pole there.
It is never a good thing when someone get's injured though,and I hope you get through this as painless as possible.I wish you the best.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:41 AM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Sorry to hear about this tragedy and I hope you get well.
FWIW, I've seen the aftermath of front end collisions where one or both of the airbags did not deploy. If the sensor doesn't get hit it won't happen. It's what probably happened in your case. You might have someone take the door apart and find the sensor still intact and untouched. In that case you can't really blame the car. It just hit in an unlucky spot.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:51 PM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Why didn't the seatbelt prevent your head from hitting the windshield. Was that torn loose also?

Quick Reply: Need Help CF memebers: severe accident