C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First NAV failure!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:35 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,830 Likes on 2,071 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Default First NAV failure!

Well, it finally happened. I tried to enter an address and the NAV unit said "What Address????" I did get to my destination but the NAV screen was in 4-wheelin' territory! Going to have to break down and update the darn discs. Come on Father's Day Sale! I want the 2012 version for less than that stupid $199! Not too shabby for a 2008 disc set!

Does the price change on-line for the sale or do you have to call and order?

Elmer
Old 05-15-2012, 03:38 PM
MikeBravo56
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

I'd Google the PN for the disk and see what deal you may find.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:50 PM
Cavi
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

199, that is a rip off, you could get a whole garmin unit for that. although garmin will charge you 100 for updates, but either way 199 seems step.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:52 PM
legbuh
Racer

Google maps... you'll pay for an android phone at those prices. And it will work better.
Old 05-15-2012, 04:22 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by legbuh
Google maps... you'll pay for an android phone at those prices. And it will work better.
But it doesn't show up on the HUD!

Tom
Old 05-15-2012, 06:08 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by TCW
But it doesn't show up on the HUD!

Tom
Nor does it mute the music when giving voice directions.
Or enter businesses by phone number.
Etc.

You want to hide a non-installed nav every time you park the car outside, because of possible theft. It's not that the Garmin is so expensive, it's the broken window and car full of glass that's a problem.

Despite my liking the factory nav, a new disc may or may not solve the OP's problem. Any database, factory or Garmin or anyone, is always out of date, just that the new ones are less out of date.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Cavi
199, that is a rip off, you could get a whole garmin unit for that. although garmin will charge you 100 for updates, but either way 199 seems step.
I have a Garmin 40LM that I purchased last Black Friday at Best Buy for $85(retails at $150). It doesn't cost me a red cent to update the maps every three months, for life. I sure hope I live another 20 years(till I'm 90) so I get my money's worth vs the factory NAV's ridiculous $200 update once a year.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:18 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Nor does it mute the music when giving voice directions.
Or enter businesses by phone number.
Etc.

You want to hide a non-installed nav every time you park the car outside, because of possible theft. It's not that the Garmin is so expensive, it's the broken window and car full of glass that's a problem.

Despite my liking the factory nav, a new disc may or may not solve the OP's problem. Any database, factory or Garmin or anyone, is always out of date, just that the new ones are less out of date.
I just made a bunch of motel reservations for a trip to Bristol(NASCAR races) and then a 12 day tour of New England in Oct. I used the various motels toll free numbers(I'm cheap). If I plug the toll free phone numbers into my factory NAV and the street addresses into my Garmin, I wonder which NAV will get me where I want to go?
Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can always get the lat & lon from Google maps and enter it that way. You won't get turn by turn directions when you get close but you can just drive toward the target.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Cavi
Pro

you missunderstood me, I am not proposing using a garmin unit, I am just stating that for 100 or less you can get a Garmin that comes with maps and the unit itself. In other words 200 for only the update Cd is a rip off. do you have to have it? Probably, but it still is robbery...
Old 05-16-2012, 11:21 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,053 Likes on 1,363 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I just made a bunch of motel reservations for a trip to Bristol(NASCAR races) and then a 12 day tour of New England in Oct. I used the various motels toll free numbers(I'm cheap). If I plug the toll free phone numbers into my factory NAV and the street addresses into my Garmin, I wonder which NAV will get me where I want to go?
In my experience, the factory nav will not accept 800/888 numbers.

For motels, restaurants, etc; I use their local phone number and that usually works. A nice feature, it also displays the name instead of the street address, so if I have several locations in an unfamiliar town then I can easily tell which is which. Or I can enter them by address if I want them displayed that way.

Some day, someone will invent the perfect nav...

We normally enter all our motels and other expected trip destinations before leaving home, then they can be recalled from Previous Destinations. Much more convenient. I prefer to enter the last destination first, that way they come up in the order we will be using them.

Last edited by Gearhead Jim; 05-16-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:11 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I have a Garmin 40LM that I purchased last Black Friday at Best Buy for $85(retails at $150). It doesn't cost me a red cent to update the maps every three months, for life. I sure hope I live another 20 years(till I'm 90) so I get my money's worth vs the factory NAV's ridiculous $200 update once a year.
I sell the prior years version on line and the net cost to me for the last two times I upgraded the maps in my 2007 is a grand total of $35 for both the 2011 and 2012 updates.

I have a Garmin 885T and 3790 LMT and both have lifetime maps plus a Droid X with Google maps and none of them do the job that the built in GM does and the HUD display is something I do not want to give up. Mounting and unmounting the Garmin every time I get in and out of the car so I do not come back to a broken into car is a real PIA. That can make that cheap Garmin very expensive. The Garmins and the Droid X are fine when I'm in someone else's car with no nav or on foot but for me only as a backup to my GM nav.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:21 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati

I see the advantage of the Garmin BUT the garmin doesn't display on the HUD and mute the sound for audible directions. It also has to be hidden so as not to invite someone else from borrowing it. It also has an additional cord hanging around that looks tacky. I also have to get it mounted again after hiding it from passersby so all in all, the unit doesn't appeal to me. I'm sure there is more than one way to skin this cat. Start a pool in my Corvette club of used discs when someone upgrades? That price might be rather close to free. It won't be the 2012 but it'll be an upgrade to the discs that I am running.

Elmer
Old 05-16-2012, 01:05 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It's a 50/50 shot that the new discs don't solve this problem. The biggest area of new info in the discs is more POIs, which are just advertising,...the address that you were looking for may or may not be included in new discs. I would try the address on a friend's Vette that has newer discs and see....heck, you could even PM it to someone here on the forum who has the latest discs...I would be happy to do it but I am at V7.0.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Originally Posted by cclive
It's a 50/50 shot that the new discs don't solve this problem. The biggest area of new info in the discs is more POIs, which are just advertising,...the address that you were looking for may or may not be included in new discs. I would try the address on a friend's Vette that has newer discs and see....heck, you could even PM it to someone here on the forum who has the latest discs...I would be happy to do it but I am at V7.0.
Ok, who has the 2012 version! I'll PM you the address that I tried to enter and let you give it a whirl! If it shows in the 2012, I'll keep after the new disc, otherwise, who cares about advertising!

Elmer
Old 05-16-2012, 01:57 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Elmer, PM me the address and I will try in V7....just for the heck of it...

Also, what version disc do you have now????
Old 05-16-2012, 02:03 PM
eboggs_jkvl

Elmer, PM me the address and I will try in V7....just for the heck of it...

Also, what version disc do you have now????
I've been a slacker! I have v5.0

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To First NAV failure!

Old 05-16-2012, 02:14 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I've been a slacker! I have v5.0

Elmer
I only ask because I will try it on my V5 discs also...
Old 05-16-2012, 02:21 PM
eboggs_jkvl

I only ask because I will try it on my V5 discs also...
V5 shows an open field when I was actually sitting at the address and looked at my NAV. Hell, Google Earth shows only the streets and no houses with a Imagery of 1/3/2008!

Elmer
Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

[QUOTE=Gearhead Jim;1580827806]In my experience, the factory nav will not accept 800/888 numbers.

For motels, restaurants, etc; I use their local phone number and that usually works. A nice feature, it also displays the name instead of the street address, so if I have several locations in an unfamiliar town then I can easily tell which is which. Or I can enter them by address if I want them displayed that way.

Some day, someone will invent the perfect nav...

We normally enter all our motels and other expected trip destinations before leaving home, then they can be recalled from Previous Destinations. Much more convenient. I prefer to enter the last destination first, that way they come up in the order we will be using them.[/QUOTE]

That's the way I program my Garmin when I have multiple destinations. When I'm researching which motel, scenic railroad, restaurant, long lost friend, etc I want to end up at, their address shows up on their website, or on Goggle, Bing Maps etc, and I just enter the address into my Garmin. Being able to enter their phone number into my Garmin would be nice, but every business, person, etc has a street address(or else why am I trying to find it) but not everyone has a land line with a listed number. So it's a redundant feature, to me.

Quick Reply: First NAV failure!