C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found a small oil leak.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:04 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Found a small oil leak.

Pulled my car out of the garage today to wash it. Noticed a small amount of oil on the garage floor, maybe 2 drops. It seems to be towards the back of the engine but I could not find any leak from up top. I cant get under the car at the moment to get a better look. The car was sitting for a couple of weeks since the last time I took it out so it doesn't look like a major leak but still a leak none the less. Anyone know where it might be coming from? Rear seal maybe? I know oil can travel along hoses and such before dripping but I don't see or smell any oil smell in the engine compartment. Again I could only see from the top. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:08 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 311 Likes on 200 Posts

/I also look like I may be developing one though nothing has hit the ground it has the sweat stains showing on the pan.

Fortunately I have drive train warranty til Dec.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 PM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I wouldn't panic at this point. When you can, get under the car and see if if you notice anything obvious...try to locate the source. If you don't find an obvious source of the leak I'd clean up any oil and grime under the car, check your fluid levels, drive the car more often and keep a clean sheet of cardboard underneath when you park it. See if the leak persists and if you can better locate where it's coming from. Have you changed motor oil or any fluids recently?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:17 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 528 Likes on 283 Posts

Oil pan gasket leaks are fairly common on the C6's.
I took my Vette to the dealer to have it checked out recently.
My oil pan gasket was leaking, and there were 8 Vettes in line ahead of me to have their oil pan gaskets replaced.
I decided to wait until this summer to have it done, right before the drivetrain warranty expires.
Take yours to the dealer to have it inspected.
You may get a free oil change out of the deal.

Last edited by car2fast4you; 05-12-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:34 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I wouldn't panic at this point. When you can, get under the car and see if if you notice anything obvious...try to locate the source. If you don't find an obvious source of the leak I'd clean up any oil and grime under the car, check your fluid levels, drive the car more often and keep a clean sheet of cardboard underneath when you park it. See if the leak persists and if you can better locate where it's coming from. Have you changed motor oil or any fluids recently?
Yeah, I haven't hit full panic mode yet but it's always unsettling finding any kind of oil on the garage floor. I haven't changed the oil yet since the car was in hibernation but I actually just made an appointment for next Saturday. My other concern is I just made an appointment with Caravaggio in Toronto next week and I'm driving there. So now I'm a little concerned about taking the car on an 8 hour drive. Do you think it's ok to drive?
Old 05-12-2012, 12:40 PM
gee350z1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has a tiny leak and i aint touching it and neither is the dealer. You have no idea what replacing this gasket involves.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:15 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gee350z1
Mine has a tiny leak and i aint touching it and neither is the dealer. You have no idea what replacing this gasket involves.
The problem is i'm not sure its the gasket. I will know more next weekend when I get it on a lift. I am hoping its the filter.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default here's what you do

get under car with light, get at just the right angle so that you can see the front oil pan bolts (closest to the fan) and see if they have oil on the bolt heads. If so, you have a gasket leak. eventually stains the pan and drips to the floor where it collects at the back of the pan usually from the drain plug itself. probably 3 drops a year. nothing to panic over and typical of certain C6's (usually automatics, and 2007 seemed to be the worst year for it). It's a big job to replace it, which I won't detail here. A few who had it replaced said the leak came back later.

If the oil is coming from the back of the motor there was a TSB about that and is a different issue altogether. I'm betting it's the pan gasket though. If you decide to live with it just keep a can of brake cleaner on hand at each oil change. If you do it yourself that is.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:48 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by NJLS708
Yeah, I haven't hit full panic mode yet but it's always unsettling finding any kind of oil on the garage floor. I haven't changed the oil yet since the car was in hibernation but I actually just made an appointment for next Saturday. My other concern is I just made an appointment with Caravaggio in Toronto next week and I'm driving there. So now I'm a little concerned about taking the car on an 8 hour drive. Do you think it's ok to drive?
Go! Don't worry about small stuff. Check your fluid levels. If all are where they should be, make the trip. It will probably help to drive it. After a long drive, you will notice if you have any problem.
I'll bet, there's nothing at all to worry about.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:55 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Road Rage
get under car with light, get at just the right angle so that you can see the front oil pan bolts (closest to the fan) and see if they have oil on the bolt heads. If so, you have a gasket leak. eventually stains the pan and drips to the floor where it collects at the back of the pan usually from the drain plug itself. probably 3 drops a year. nothing to panic over and typical of certain C6's (usually automatics, and 2007 seemed to be the worst year for it). It's a big job to replace it, which I won't detail here. A few who had it replaced said the leak came back later.

If the oil is coming from the back of the motor there was a TSB about that and is a different issue altogether. I'm betting it's the pan gasket though. If you decide to live with it just keep a can of brake cleaner on hand at each oil change. If you do it yourself that is.
I have a Z06 so no oil pan. I think it's probably the rear seal but I'm hoping it's just the oil filter. I'll know next Saturday when I can get under the car.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,506 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

if you have warranty I would get it fixed
Old 05-12-2012, 07:10 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

A year ago our 2009 coupe had a slight seep around the pan gasket, dealer retorqued the pan bolts and added dye. As of last Fall, no leak visible to the naked eye or black light. I'll be taking another look this summer.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 AM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,458 Likes on 2,274 Posts

I have a Z06 so no oil pan. I think it's probably the rear seal but I'm hoping it's just the oil filter. I'll know next Saturday when I can get under the car.
It has an oil pan. Just a different type of oil pan b/c of the wet sump system. My '06 Z-06 developed an oil pan gasket leak. Dealer fixed under warranty and I never had another problem with it.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 AM
pcguy2u
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
A year ago our 2009 coupe had a slight seep around the pan gasket, dealer retorqued the pan bolts and added dye. As of last Fall, no leak visible to the naked eye or black light. I'll be taking another look this summer.
totally......

The dealers seem to replace the gasket when it could be all that is needed is to tighten the bolts.

My neighbor had the same thing and the dealer wanted to change the gasket for big bucks (read that as "no warranty"). I put her car up on stands and tightened the pan bolts. Guess what, the leak disappeared.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:45 AM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

I got my gasket replaced under the powertrain warranty. As long as your dealer has competent corvette guy there is no reason to not get it done

Originally Posted by Mad*Max
if you have warranty I would get it fixed
Old 05-13-2012, 07:20 PM
NJLS708
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
I got my gasket replaced under the powertrain warranty. As long as your dealer has competent corvette guy there is no reason to not get it done
At the point i'm just concerned about driving 8 hours with it next week. I wont have a chance to have it looked at before my trip. When I have the oil changed next Saturday I will have the tech re-torque everything. Maybe I will get lucky and that will work.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:38 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,506 Likes on 819 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
exactly, and if it gets bad once the warranty expires you are looking at a pretty penny to fix it

Get notified of new replies

To Found a small oil leak.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:15 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

It seems like a constant issue with GM V8 engines. My 08 C6 had the problem, 07 Impala SS same thing, Yukon Denali is leaking a little now.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:26 PM
ddanis60
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dude.. you can drive it. youre seriously getting worked up over nothing. you could drive it cross country and be fine. twice. cars drip oil sometimes. even our vettes.

if you dont want to take it, then dont. but countless people here have advised you that youre fine.

dont lose any sleep over it. enjoy the trip and drive your car more.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

I have a Z06 so no oil pan.
.......... Dang I'd like to see that ................ So would the power train engineers at GM

Quick Reply: Found a small oil leak.