C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a nice set of tires at a fair price. What are your experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 12:37 PM
teddyca
Le Mans Master

Received 425 Likes on 322 Posts

Default Looking for a nice set of tires at a fair price. What are your experiences

So my buddy has stock C6 tires on his C5 and is in need of new rubber. He commutes his car and doesnt RACE at all. He is looking for a tire that is good in the rain and has good life. Doesnt care about the performace piece for the fact he doesnt race and realizes any tire in the 18/19 size will be suitable. What is the best bang for the buck tire out there. Run flat is not an option. To harsh of a ride.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:44 PM
gqllc007
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teddyca
So my buddy has stock C6 tires on his C5 and is in need of new rubber. He commutes his car and doesnt RACE at all. He is looking for a tire that is good in the rain and has good life. Doesnt care about the performace piece for the fact he doesnt race and realizes any tire in the 18/19 size will be suitable. What is the best bang for the buck tire out there. Run flat is not an option. To harsh of a ride.
Michelin A/S
Old 05-10-2012, 12:50 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Run flat is not an option. To harsh of a ride.
This is hogwash. There is no difference in ride. Why should there be?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by gqllc007
Michelin A/S
have had mine on for a month now and I'm amazed at how nice the ride is.
And they're Run Flats
Old 05-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

As far as getting a better ride with Non run flats I would agree to a point.
Depending on which brand tire, Non run flats are anywhere from 7-8 LBS Lighter than Run Flats which makes big difference in un-sprung weight.

If he's simply looking for the best price ( bang for the buck ) there are numerous choices.
But using the car to commute, IMO, is more reason to get Run Flats.
For his driving use, I also recommend the Michelin A/S.
Not All Run Flats necessarily equate to a harsh ride.
My Michelin A/S Run Flats give an amazingly comfortable ride.
Do some research before deciding
To each his own and just my 2 cents
Old 05-10-2012, 01:24 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Michelin A/S

I installed Michelin AS on my 09 Coupe and I am very happy with them. I honestly can't feel any difference in the ride. Both are very stiff.Rod
Old 05-10-2012, 02:08 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by goatts
This is hogwash. There is no difference in ride. Why should there be?
This is almost too! WRONG to comment on! For your info THERE"S A HUGE DIFFERENCE from the factory runflats to regular tires! Ok back to the forum!

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 05-10-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:12 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Sounds like a Nitto Invo is a good tire choice here! Or for more money the new Michelin SS!
Old 05-10-2012, 02:44 PM
JIMSC62006
Racer

I run Hankooks during the rainy season. they have great traction compared to GY runflats. He can get a great price at Americas Tire. I got mine in San Ramon but I am sure there is one around Tracy or Stockton. I still run my GY RFs when I do a lot of out of town cruising and there is major difference in ride quality between the two. Hankooks ride really nice and I have run mine through two seasons and they still look like new.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:55 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Michelin A/S

I had Michelin AS ZP's on my 2001 C5 convert and I got caught in a heavy downpour for about 100 freeway miles coming back from Vegas and they were rock solid and was doing 70+. They are so much quieter than the good years were.

When I sold the car they had 25k on them and still looked new. They are for certain going on my new vette when it needs tires.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:27 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

I would go with Nitto Invo is he is wanting cheap or the Firestone Wide Oval, otherwise my two top choices are the Michelien SS and Nitto Invo.

and as said the comment on run flat being harsh is correct, they are a heavier tire and have alot stiffer sidewalls than the normal non-runflat version of the same tire.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:03 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
This is almost too! WRONG to comment on! For your info THERE"S A HUGE DIFFERENCE from the factory runflats to regular tires! Ok back to the forum!
There is NO performance difference, I can attest to that myself. But here's where you jump in and tell me how non runflats are soooo quiet and ride soooo much better. Magazine tests show otherwise.

The ONLY difference is price and you're right there is a HUGE difference there.

We've been over this so many times on so many threads...
Old 05-11-2012, 03:06 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TJay74
I would go with Nitto Invo is he is wanting cheap or the Firestone Wide Oval, otherwise my two top choices are the Michelien SS and Nitto Invo.

and as said the comment on run flat being harsh is correct, they are a heavier tire and have alot stiffer sidewalls than the normal non-runflat version of the same tire.
Have you ever compared the sidewalls of runflat and non runflat tires when they were off the rim? If you had then you would find your statement is false like 99% of the statements on here about runflat tires.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:53 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 164 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock'n Blue 08
Factory runflats is the key. PS2 vs PS2 ZP, no difference unless someone is ultra sensitive.

It sounds like the Ops friend is more concerned about comfort/ride than performance so I would recommend the A/S ZP.

Unsprung difference in weight has also been decreased. PS2 vs PS2 ZP gives you 10lbs advantage in unsprung weight for the whole car (2ea for front, 3ea for rear according to Tire Rack). If you can pick up that little unsprung weight in normal driving then you are probably too sensitive to be driving a Corvette. The AS/ZP is actually heavier than the PS2 ZP. (about 15lbs unsprung weight total).
Old 05-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Slick64
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you ever compared the sidewalls of runflat and non runflat tires when they were off the rim? If you had then you would find your statement is false like 99% of the statements on here about runflat tires.
I went from stock tires to Nitto Invos. I like that its much quieter now, and they feel as if they just grip better.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:26 PM
TJay74
Safety Car

Received 328 Likes on 213 Posts

Actually now that you ask, yes I did yesterday while my stock runflat was getting a nail pulled from it. The sidewall is stiffer than a non-run flat tire and is one of the main reasons the run flats ride rough.

They have to use a stiffer sidewall so to not compress at the loss of air pressure and to be able to hold the vehicle up until the tire can be repaired.

I would suggest you do some more research as well then, it has beena known fact about runflats since they came out over a deceade ago.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:39 PM
C7 Mathis
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just as a side note and I didn't want to start a new thread. Just got invos on and love them so far.

What's the typical tire life people see with the invos under normal street driving?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for a nice set of tires at a fair price. What are your experiences

Old 05-11-2012, 04:44 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TJay74
Actually now that you ask, yes I did yesterday while my stock runflat was getting a nail pulled from it. The sidewall is stiffer than a non-run flat tire and is one of the main reasons the run flats ride rough.

They have to use a stiffer sidewall so to not compress at the loss of air pressure and to be able to hold the vehicle up until the tire can be repaired.

I would suggest you do some more research as well then, it has beena known fact about runflats since they came out over a deceade ago.
Did you have a set of non runflats nearby to compare them to? Our corvette club has a tire machine so I did the same thing about 4 yrs ago and was surprised to find no difference. So I asked Wolfdogs. He said the main difference is in the bead bundle. I've been thru about 4 sets of tires both runflat and non runflat.

So the stiff sidewalls are actually a misconception with 99% of the guys here believing it.

Last edited by goatts; 05-11-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:49 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Continental Extreme DWS all season you won't find anything less priced. They also have Continental Extreme (DW) Dry Wet. DWS= Dry,Wet,Snow has longer treadlife too.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 PM
jyoungtx
7th Gear

I had the Nitto Invos on my 08 c6. Big improvement over OEM. I think they were around $950 installed. Very quiet tires, good grip and great wear.

Quick Reply: Looking for a nice set of tires at a fair price. What are your experiences