C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a nice set of tires at a fair price. What are your experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by goatts
Did you have a set of non runflats nearby to compare them to? Our corvette club has a tire machine so I did the same thing about 4 yrs ago and was surprised to find no difference. So I asked Wolfdogs. He said the main difference is in the bead bundle. I've been thru about 4 sets of tires both runflat and non runflat.

So the stiff sidewalls are actually a misconception with 99% of the guys here believing it.
I understand Wolfdogs' expertise, but...
Every non-runflat tire I've had go flat while mounted on a car, settled so much that the wheel rim was almost touching the tread. OTOH, I've seen C6 runflats that were flat on the car and you had to look carefully to notice the difference. Someone needs to school us on how a stiffer bead could perform that trick, and also how it could perform the trick without causing a stiffer ride.

I love runflats and wish we had them on our other cars, but I don't understand how they are supposed to ride as softly as a similar non-runflat.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:46 PM
orca1946
Le Mans Master

Received 456 Likes on 342 Posts

Next time around Mich A S for me since I drive the vette all winter long in Chicagoland!
It's like a day at the track when it snows! for less $$$$$
Old 05-11-2012, 11:32 PM
Ten-Zing
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got 2 new fronts today. Was thinking Hankooks for the bargain price but got a quote for a pair of Runflat Pirellis of $240 a tire. I figure for a $70 premium over non RF Hankooks was worth it. Had the alignment done and it feels like a got a whole new car today.

Car has 16,000 miles and was running on original Supercars with a terrible alignment. Front left wasn't even near wear bars, passenger front on the inside was on the cords.

Before I left I got a quote for the same tire for the rear at $305 a piece. A bit spendier but still a good price for a RF tire.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by orca1946
Next time around Mich A S for me since I drive the vette all winter long in Chicagoland!
It's like a day at the track when it snows! for less $$$$$
The Extreme Continentals are alot less in cost.
Old 05-12-2012, 12:34 AM
inner3
Pro

Was this 950 for all 4 tires?!
Old 05-12-2012, 09:40 AM
LawyerJoe
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For past 20+ years and 6 vettes, go to tirerack.com. Haven't found a local tire store yet that would beat prices, even if exclude $50? for shipping. TR website very friendly, you can have tires delivered to the same stores that wont beat the price and have the install price already determined per their website.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:50 AM
Angelo C6
Instructor

No question the Hankooks are a great bang for the buck. My 05 A4 vert is a daily driver. Been caught in heavy rain and could keep 80mph no problem. Was at the track last night. My best 60' with the runflats when the car was new was a 2.10. With the hankooks I had multiple 1.88 60' times. ET went from a 12.72 to a 12.44. Not bad for $930 delivered to Canada from Discount tire.

Also, The hankooks are much quieter when cruising.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,832 Likes on 2,072 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Michelin A/S sounds nice but I live in Florida. I don't drive North of the Florida/Georgia border after October through May. I refuse to drive in snow, slush, sleet, Yankee weather, during that season of winter. I just tool around in Florida on non-salted, non-snow roads with the occasional "wet" issue known to happen in Florida. So, A/S seems to be a waste of function to me. Got some suggestions on dry or rain conditions? I have GY GSD3 18/19 on there now and 30K+ on them. They look great but the little darlings are expensive as hell! $375/$562 or $1874 a set! Great grip dry or rain and perfect down here but did I mention they were expensive?

Elmer
Old 05-13-2012, 01:26 PM
goatts
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
Every non-runflat tire I've had go flat while mounted on a car, settled so much that the wheel rim was almost touching the tread. OTOH, I've seen C6 runflats that were flat on the car and you had to look carefully to notice the difference. Someone needs to school us on how a stiffer bead could perform that trick, and also how it could perform the trick without causing a stiffer ride.

I love runflats and wish we had them on our other cars, but I don't understand how they are supposed to ride as softly as a similar non-runflat.
I don't understand how they work but the sidewalls are definitely not stiff enough to hold the weight of the car. As I said, I could not tell any significant difference between sidewalls on runflat and non runflat. Also I can't tell any difference in how the car rides between the two.

The thing is that you constantly hear guys saying to ditch the runflats and you will see this huge difference and it's just not true, not to me anyway and I drive in a variety of conditions (drags, street, autox, track etc)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,061 Likes on 1,369 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

Originally Posted by goatts
I don't understand how they work but the sidewalls are definitely not stiff enough to hold the weight of the car. As I said, I could not tell any significant difference between sidewalls on runflat and non runflat. Also I can't tell any difference in how the car rides between the two.

The thing is that you constantly hear guys saying to ditch the runflats and you will see this huge difference and it's just not true, not to me anyway and I drive in a variety of conditions (drags, street, autox, track etc)
Thanks for the comments.

Someone needs to drag wolfie into this and get him to explain in detail...
Old 05-14-2012, 11:47 PM
garwood94
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OEM GY Mileage Not So Good!

My 2011 GS Coupe (F55) just turned 8000 miles and I was changing the oil and noticed I was on the wear bars on both front tires. I grabbed by shop light and took a closer look to find cord showing and several cracks near the middle of the RF tire and the left was just about to start showing cords. 8k miles and no racing. My rears still look like new! Is there any warranty coverage for tires like this or does anyone have any advice for me? I have the automatic transmission and hardly ever use the Sport Mode or turn off the traction control so I am puzzled...
Old 05-15-2012, 12:28 AM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm going to 275's and 345's on my C6, and will be selling stock sized Michelin A/S ZP's with less than 1,000 miles, zero tracking and no burnouts in about a week. The full tire warranty will also transfer with them.

Going from the GY's to the Michelins was a night and day difference.

Quick Reply: Looking for a nice set of tires at a fair price. What are your experiences