C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why do some buy a Corvette and never use it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 03:56 PM
besz28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

their is a guy on this forum that buys a new corvette every year, he's talked about like he is a prophet, and a "car guy", I think the guy seeks attention, constantly posting about personal life etc... isn't anything private? Their is positively something physchologically wrong with him, no one can tell me different.I know it is "his money" but i guarantee you he is not completely right, in the head.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:05 PM
bearman95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife and i have owned three corvettes and all have been and still are used daily for work or anywhere else one of us needs to go.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:06 PM
bud miller
Melting Slicks

Received 55 Likes on 23 Posts

its for sport....for fun....now that i'm retired , drive it as much as i can.....
Old 05-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Honestly I think people are curious as to why someone would spend $45k-$110k of their money and then not use the item they just paid for.

There is a difference between not having enough time, having other cars you drive (if you have 3 or more "pleasure cars" clearly money isn't an issue), spending time with your family, etc...

There are people though, who buy a car, have the time to drive it, have the money to replace it if it is damaged, and yet refuse to drive it.

If you own it and have the opportunity to use it, but to consciously avoid using it, then in my opinion there is real interest into knowing why. Personally I think those people are in some way deranged. There are better ways to spend that kind of cash than to buy something to just stare at it. This goes for things of far less cost as well (if you aren't going to use it don't buy it).
Go three posts up and read what I said........
Old 05-09-2012, 04:14 PM
Jimmy W1
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 47 Posts

Old 05-09-2012, 04:22 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by besz28
their is a guy on this forum that buys a new corvette every year, he's talked about like he is a prophet, and a "car guy", I think the guy seeks attention, constantly posting about personal life etc... isn't anything private? Their is positively something physchologically wrong with him, no one can tell me different.I know it is "his money" but i guarantee you he is not completely right, in the head.
I agree with this...
Old 05-09-2012, 04:36 PM
Mayor
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Buying a car just to look at

I enjoy tinkering with it and keeping it clean. Between work and family, not a lot of time to drive it.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:39 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Bought my current Corvette in March & have only put a couple hundred miles on it. The interior has been apart for a lot of the time. Sent it off to my buddy to wrap in carbon fiber.

Then when I want to drive it I have nowhere to go or the weather says F you.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:45 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
Why do some people post questions like this?

Do people really care what other people do with their cars???

Is it any different than people who buy big houses with formal living rooms and dining rooms that never get used. People who live on lakes and have boats that rarely use them. People who have gun collections that never shoot them. People who have expensive jewelry and never wear it. The list could go on forever.

People buy lots of things for different reasons and if they are using it the way they think it should be used, then it's right for them. Why it bothers some people how others use their own property is what I don't understand.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Doncha jus' luv it! Corvette owners, right here on CF, can be called "deranged," "a prophet," "something wrong," "not completely right in the head,"

all for and because of owning and sharing their happiness on CF! Wow, that's a real incentive to share and care.

So, I guess those who SHINE their cars, SHOW their cars, NEVER RACE their cars, CREATE A BEAUTIFUL garage, DO RACE their cars, and all the rest----they must be "deranged" "not right in the head" etc. when they post about their happiness at doing what they like

WITH THEIR C6 CORVETTE!

what a country! You can't even win when you buy a Corvette---one of the symbols of American cars. One of the last symbols of American cars.....

What's next? Telling me or all of us on CF when to use our C6, how to use it, where to drive it?

As I said, doncha jus' luv it?
Old 05-09-2012, 05:14 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by AORoads
Doncha jus' luv it! Corvette owners, right here on CF, can be called "deranged," "a prophet," "something wrong," "not completely right in the head,"

all for and because of owning and sharing their happiness on CF! Wow, that's a real incentive to share and care.

So, I guess those who SHINE their cars, SHOW their cars, NEVER RACE their cars, CREATE A BEAUTIFUL garage, DO RACE their cars, and all the rest----they must be "deranged" "not right in the head" etc. when they post about their happiness at doing what they like

WITH THEIR C6 CORVETTE!

what a country! You can't even win when you buy a Corvette---one of the symbols of American cars. One of the last symbols of American cars.....

What's next? Telling me or all of us on CF when to use our C6, how to use it, where to drive it?

For a real good time, you should navigate on over to PR&C and see some of the lovin' they have going on there...
Old 05-09-2012, 05:20 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AORoads

WITH THEIR C6 CORVETTE!

right smak on, brother...
Old 05-09-2012, 05:25 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by boraxman
Why do some people post questions like this?

Do people really care what other people do with their cars???
They actually do. There are tons of modification threads with lots of opinionated responses about said mods.

I drive my GS everyday that it doesn't snow or forecasted flash flooding. When I buy a car...I drive it, and when I sell it I can rest assured that I got all of the fun out of the car as I could. The caveat is that I don't keep cars for a long time. I put 40k miles on my previous 05 C6 in two years, and 20k miles on my previous C5 in one year before that. Yeah, my Corvettes are road warriors, it's tough to drive anything else now.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:29 PM
coolsrt8
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have;
1981 Camaro Z28
2003 Corvette 50th Anniv
2007 Corvette Z06 Ron Fellows Edition #330
2009 Challenger SRT
2008 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
WHY? WHY NOT.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

As someone said, once I had the money to afford all the toys I wanted, I have no time to enjoy them. My 08 just crossed 5k miles. I work from home so no commute but I typically work 12-14 hours per day.

I use my 08 on nice days during the spring, summer and fall. It gets put away around Thanksgiving and comes out of hibernation in April.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM
RoadkingC6
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
Its like not having sex with your wife so next guy enjoys it more...
Funny comparison not a good one but funny!!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:36 PM
tgorden
Instructor

I'll have my 2012 GS 3 weeks this coming Friday. Bought it with 5 miles on it....it's now got 1123 miles on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Why do some buy a Corvette and never use it?

Old 05-09-2012, 05:43 PM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Racer
Horrors!!

This pic is gonna give us garage-queen owners nightmares!!

j/k....Glad to see somebody REALLY using their Corvette..
Right?! And he's towing that boat too!
Old 05-09-2012, 05:52 PM
blink2003
Intermediate

Too busy putting mods on.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:58 PM
C8gman
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

For me, finally getting the money to buy one meant a position in my company that required a lot of driving in stop in go traffic(with a daily driver). But my '97 still got about 10k/yr over 3 years. My '00 about the same and then my '02 dipped a little to about 8k/yr. Then I was Vette-less from '06 until two months ago when I bought a '12. I've put right under 1k on it so far and expect to drive it to work almost every day barring severe weather. My job and commute have changed so I probably won't get to put as many miles on it Monday-Friday. But rest assured, I will more than make up for it on the weekends!

Quick Reply: Why do some buy a Corvette and never use it?