C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what is the differnce between the base coupe and grand sport

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 09:52 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6
Yah, I like this post. The GS has the same engine ( the boosters will tell you all about the "hand built" LS3 in the manual GS...what they don't mention is anything about whether this increases hp, longevity, or reliability...which, of these, none have been claimed by the manufacturer)

Mostly the GS is an exercise in brilliant marketing. Getting people to pay considerably more for essentially the same car ( underneath the panels ) as the narrow body base car by adding some low cost frills.

Read the Z06 section, or search Z06 brakes and you'll find the brakes the GS crowd crows about....that are the same as those on the Z06 are the same brakes Z06 owners can't wait to remove and replace with something a lot better. ( Like much lighter two piece rotors that are current technology and not the 50 yr. old technology of the Z06 brakes. )

Poser car plain and simple. Most owners here at least seem ready and willing to tell you how their cars are "almost" a Z06 and, of course, that they are geniuses for figuring this out and not wasting money on a Z06 like all those dummies who bought one. Might be...if you read some of the glowing posts from GS owners...that the GS even rivals the mighty ZR1. It looks almost the same and that is the deciding factor in the purchase of a GS it appears.

Brilliant marketing.
No question about that. The GS neatly fills a niche in the lineup that previously the Z51 crowd and aftermarket suppliers (wide body) had occupied. Sometimes The General gets it right. This time, it was marketing.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 PM
velomaxx
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was confused for a moment. First I thought I bought my GS for some other reason. Now I know I bought it for 'marketing'. Thank you for helping me.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:03 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by velomaxx
I was confused for a moment. First I thought I bought my GS for some other reason. Now I know I bought it for 'marketing'. Thank you for helping me.
Thank GM! They had the smarts to figure out what a LOT of people want, and came up with a terrific product to satisfy them. I imagine you bought your car because it was what you wanted, right?

It's not disparaging either the product or the purchaser to say the marketing was brilliant. In fact, it was. The product hit exactly the right spot in the market. The GS is selling like crazy, because it is what people want.

I'm sorry you got confused about that. FYI, my statement is only related to marketing. I never use the word "poser", since I believe the correct spelling is "poseur", anyway.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:32 PM
velomaxx
Intermediate

The sun has been kind to you in San Diego, you are correct!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:37 PM
91redragtop
Burning Brakes

I can't believe the bitter rivalry going on here!!! I would compare it to an older brother getting jealous and mad because his younger, better-looking brother is getting all the attention!!
Old 05-15-2012, 11:17 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

My GS is worth every penny I paid for it. I don't give a rats *** what anyone thinks or says.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:24 PM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by ladder13
My GS is worth every penny I paid for it. I don't give a rats *** what anyone thinks or says.

Well stated.

PS- Ever notice most of the GS haters seem to be driving '09s? Many with the discontinued Z51.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:09 AM
Pitbull11
Racer

I like the GS's. But I have a question about 0-60 comparison between a base Vette with the Z51, which has a higher ratio rearend and F1 tires and the GS that has bigger tires but weighs more. Seems like they should be about even? Anyone have any comparisons?
Old 05-16-2012, 05:42 AM
CrvtBB
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 76 Posts

Yah, I like this post. The GS has the same engine ( the boosters will tell you all about the "hand built" LS3 in the manual GS...what they don't mention is anything about whether this increases hp, longevity, or reliability...which, of these, none have been claimed by the manufacturer)

Mostly the GS is an exercise in brilliant marketing. Getting people to pay considerably more for essentially the same car ( underneath the panels ) as the narrow body base car by adding some low cost frills.

Read the Z06 section, or search Z06 brakes and you'll find the brakes the GS crowd crows about....that are the same as those on the Z06 are the same brakes Z06 owners can't wait to remove and replace with something a lot better. ( Like much lighter two piece rotors that are current technology and not the 50 yr. old technology of the Z06 brakes. )

Poser car plain and simple. Most owners here at least seem ready and willing to tell you how their cars are "almost" a Z06 and, of course, that they are geniuses for figuring this out and not wasting money on a Z06 like all those dummies who bought one. Might be...if you read some of the glowing posts from GS owners...that the GS even rivals the mighty ZR1. It looks almost the same and that is the deciding factor in the purchase of a GS it appears.

Brilliant marketing.
So, if the Z06 brakes are 50-yr old technology, what does that make the base coupe's?

BTW -- No GS owners I know or even see posting here claim their car is "almost a Z06." They might reference the suspension similarities and note they chose the GS because they didn't want or need a ZO6, which is simply a statement of fact, but they don't claim to be driving a Z06 or ZR1. Also, no GS owner I've seen on here has ever called a Z06 owner a dummy for buying one either. So far, the only people I see who make that unsubstantiated claim (over and over and over again) are people who ignore the track times and claim the GS is only a marketing gimic.

I bought a 1LT GS because it had the setup I wanted at the price I was willing to pay, which BTW - was over $2K cheaper than the 3LT base coupe loaded with a bunch of things that might be desirable to some, but not to me. Had nothing to do with marketing or some powerful brainwashing control GM exerted over me. Nice try though -- for the 100th time.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Mrc100
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer
Who Posted?
Total Posts: 262
User Name Posts
TLS_Addict 29
rayk 26
JoesC5 16
R&L's C6 11
sdurg24 11
SanDiegoBert 10
dazz44 8
ohmy 7
Red Racer 5
Guinnessboy 5
lawman34203 4
Zap City 4
sportcruiser 4
Pitbull11 4
Rock'n Blue 08 3
MikeyTX 3
KneeDragr 3
Always Red Dave 3
talon90 3
Racer 3
phileaglesfan 3
stargate 3
laconiajack 3
PittMD1 2
Rebel 1 2
ospreycorvette 2
Tide Will Roll! 2
fnbrowning 2
TKgs2010 2
LFZ 2
michaelinmech 2
OnPoint 2
movinsouth 2
glenB 2
KWC6 2
ScottJ03 2
macguyver 2
redzone 2
el es tu 2
alamo1974 2
Mid Life 2
Mikado463 2
EDinPA 2
bud miller 2
MTsVette 1
Mr Mojo 1
CrvtBB 1
Vincheese 1
Vette5.5 1
J Willis 1
Don-Vette 1
bearman95 1
su8pack1 1
not08crmanymore 1
91redragtop 1
Dave@Kerbeck.com 1
Bowtie_Brigade 1
FrankTank 1
rm50 1
boraxman 1
bonnell 1
blitzebill 1
Aviator 1
j3studio 1
SpryGeezer 1
KarrMar 1
ray24z06 1
DASHZNT 1
HarleyB 1
mdchaser 1
Pack Leader 1
russies-gs 1
Bbretz 1
Rob 99 1
Gman in NC 1
slolane 1
Z16chevelleguy 1
Nice Ride 1
ADVBedouin 1
3GenVettes 1
vettenlady 1
corvettekathy 1
Mrc100 1
willie2323 1
crusher1 1
hig4s 1
mikeCsix 1
petermj 1
RULEMKR 1
saplumr 1
Gary '09 C6 1
ladder13 1
TWOBUELLS 1
Racer, Next time in alphabetic order.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:05 AM
rayk
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CrvtBB
So, if the Z06 brakes are 50-yr old technology, what does that make the base coupe's?

BTW -- No GS owners I know or even see posting here claim their car is "almost a Z06." They might reference the suspension similarities and note they chose the GS because they didn't want or need a ZO6, which is simply a statement of fact, but they don't claim to be driving a Z06 or ZR1. Also, no GS owner I've seen on here has ever called a Z06 owner a dummy for buying one either. So far, the only people I see who make that unsubstantiated claim (over and over and over again) are people who ignore the track times and claim the GS is only a marketing gimic.

I bought a 1LT GS because it had the setup I wanted at the price I was willing to pay, which BTW - was over $2K cheaper than the 3LT base coupe loaded with a bunch of things that might be desirable to some, but not to me. Had nothing to do with marketing or some powerful brainwashing control GM exerted over me. Nice try though -- for the 100th time.
Good post.

Heat transfer to the fluid, hub bearings, and rotor cracking are issues for people that use their cars on tracks with heavy braking. The two piece rotors may or may not give the results and still crack and need to be replaced. Expensive to replace the two piece rotor and some use plain high carbon rotors instead.

However, the GS package with the Z06 brakes is very good package for many people. Rotor weight, tire weight in my opinion is overrated unless you have converted your GS to a full race car setup. Most people couldn't tell the difference of a couple of pounds on the corners if they didn't know what was on the car.

Replace the fluid in the brakes and clutch with hi-temp. Replace the pads with race pads, and you are pretty good for most tracks. Even NASCAR has brake issues on road courses and they run a huge setup.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:21 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CrvtBB

now now... don't you start posting stuff that makes sense, we'll have none of that here!
Old 05-16-2012, 10:28 AM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL... aaahhh jealousy! gotta love it

$5.5K for widebody panels would be a bargain (you seem to be missing that point BTW)...
$5.5K for for better brakes, tires, susp, sump would be another bargain...

but hmmm, you get BOTH of the above for $5.5K - yeah, that's "just marketting", totally not worth it

BTW, you'd def get it back at resale, so it's like getting all those goodies for nothing...

Anyway, keep telling yourself that the GS is a poser car and keep putting it down, whatever makes you feel better about your choice

Last edited by ohmy; 05-16-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:41 AM
SDatl404
Instructor

I wouldn't truly call it a "poseur" car because the Z06 can't breathe under water like a GS...

Bling bling on my friends.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:43 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,627 Likes on 1,746 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Originally Posted by Florida2000
I recently sold my 05' base Z51 and bought a GS rather than a Z06 because that is exactly what I wanted, not because I could not afford one, and I could no be happier (and I do not have Z06 envy).

I like the Z06 but I don't need the horse power, so I got a newer, fully loaded GS instead.

What I have is ZR1 envy!

I got a GS because that is EXACTLY what I wanted, an Auto Wide Body Vert Then came the ZR1 And I love all the Models. Good to see Racer back here
What was the thread about again???????What's the difference between someone who has a zillion posts in this thread debating nonsense and someone who has no life
Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 AM
TNTC4VETTE
Will work for HPDE time.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This isn't locked yet?

Man, C6Gen is slipping.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:55 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

No good cf thread ends on its own. If it doesn't risk getting locked out, it's not worth reading

Get notified of new replies

To what is the differnce between the base coupe and grand sport

Old 05-16-2012, 12:04 PM
SDatl404
Instructor

Originally Posted by el es tu
No good cf thread ends on its own. If it doesn't risk getting locked out, it's not worth reading
Wise words! Talking about car wax, tires, and exhaust tips gets boring after a while.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:31 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Now here is a real question I have. According to some of the searching I have done (unless things have changed since 2008) the MM6 can handle 470 tq where the MZ6 is rated to handle 425 tq. Or is the MM6 in the base/narrow body not the one they are speaking of?

Originally Posted by TNTC4VETTE
This isn't locked yet?

Man, C6Gen is slipping.
Oh come on......get in the mix. I am leading the pack in posts!

I do find it funny.....the things a few got mad at me about are not untrue.

Originally Posted by SDatl404
Wise words! Talking about car wax, tires, and exhaust tips gets boring after a while.
This is very true.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:50 PM
lawman34203
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14

Last weekend I test drove a 2010 GS, a 2010 2lt and a 2009 1lt Coupe. I can deffenetly feel the difference between the three cars. In my previous posts, I mentioned I did not think the extra money was worth the asking price for the GS over the coupe. Now that I drove the three cars, I have had a change of heart and am leaning more towards the GS. I like the looks better and to me it feels better on the road. Not trying to start a whole new debate here, just making a point that my personal preference after looking and driving the two different models is the GS. I still think all Corvettes are awsome but when I finally sign on the dotted line, it will be most likely be for a GS.
Thanks to all for the input.

Quick Reply: what is the differnce between the base coupe and grand sport