C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice with shipping a C6 from another state.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Z16chevelleguy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by icyteddy
Yes, I was comparing cost of driving it home vs shipping it. The distance and mileage for me would about 19 hours, 1200 miles from the bay area. It looks like driving it home may be the cheaper and faster alternative than actually shipping it.
And much more fun
Old 05-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Z16chevelleguy
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tide Will Roll!
Drive it back.

Bert

Roll Tide!
Only way to go-Live life to it fullest- Make everyone jealous

Last edited by Z16chevelleguy; 05-07-2012 at 12:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:10 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

I requested the seller to take a picture of the sticker under the hood. This is the sticker. It does say "California class on it" Is the car good?
Also, the seller asking price is $52,000. Car is 2010 GS, 1600 miles, 3LT, automatic, Navigation, clean title and one owner. Seller also installed a E-force supercharger on it. It dyno at 509 RWHP and 467 RWTQ. Are those numbers where it should be? Is that a fair price?

This is the CA Emissions sticker so you are good to go with that. Next it will be important to get the E-force CARB sticker to prove that the supercharger is a legal modification in California. It may pass the inspection without it, depending on the attention the technician gives their physical inspection but you are taking a BIG risk with $52k if that 50-state CARB sticker is not there. Good luck.

FWIW, assuming all this above is good...I would drive it home. I didn't drive mine because it was done during the winter.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:05 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I requested the seller to take a picture of the sticker under the hood. This is the sticker. It does say "California class on it" Is the car good?
Also, the seller asking price is $52,000. Car is 2010 GS, 1600 miles, 3LT, automatic, Navigation, clean title and one owner. Seller also installed a E-force supercharger on it. It dyno at 509 RWHP and 467 RWTQ. Are those numbers where it should be? Is that a fair price?
Keep in mind that the supercharger and other tunes or mods mean that most likely the GM factory 5/50 warranty is no longer valid and if you find there are any problems with the motor later you are out of luck. I would think long and hard before doing this.

I have found that cars like this that have similar mods and low miles have a reason they are getting rid of them so to me it would be a big red flag and would stay well clear of performance modded car. You may find that a lot of those very few miles were put on the car 1/4 mile at a time. The mods add no value and in most cases lower it below a similar undmodded car.

This appears to be the car you are thinking of buying and according to the web site it was sold on the 5th the day before you first posted this thread.

http://www.corvette-dealers.com/used...-Corvette.html

Last edited by RJRSW; 05-07-2012 at 01:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:21 PM
icyteddy
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
Keep in mind that the supercharger and other tunes or mods mean that most likely the GM factory 5/50 warranty is no longer valid and if you find there are any problems with the motor later you are out of luck. I would think long and hard before doing this.

I have found that cars like this that have similar mods and low miles have a reason they are getting rid of them so to me it would be a big red flag and would stay well clear of performance modded car. You may find that a lot of those very few miles were put on the car 1/4 mile at a time. The mods add no value and in most cases lower it below a similar undmodded car.

This appears to be the car you are thinking of buying and according to the web site it was sold on the 5th the day before you first posted this thread.

http://www.corvette-dealers.com/used...-Corvette.html
That is the car!! That is weird. I spoke to the seller on the May 6th and he said the car is still available. And he sent me "California emission sticker" on May 6th also. However, I may passed on this deal due to your advice. Thanks
Old 05-18-2012, 10:27 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

Thanks...I did my research before I did it. Been there, done that...))
Old 05-19-2012, 02:32 AM
Junk Box
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ip-do-tan
Make absolutely sure that the car is Calif. EPA Certified, not just 50 state certified. If it's not you'll go through h*ll trying to register it.

So if it has 7500+ miles you don't need that "CALIFORNIA" sticker correct????

Last edited by Junk Box; 05-19-2012 at 02:35 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:00 AM
liveaboard74
Drifting

Little advice from a car hauler and someone that has seen way to many e bay sales go bad. Fly in, take two days off and drive it home. You'll have a blast on I-40 in that 75 mph speed zone and they don't bother cars for running 80.
I"m sure there is nothing wrong with the car but you get that insurance of knowing its right before you own it.
1200 miles is a breeze and the trip will make owning it even more special..
Its the toy you have been waiting for. Do it...
Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 AM
widgetsupply
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously? Road trip. Go get it.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:31 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

yup...correct. > 7500 is considered "Used" in CA. It will have to pass the smog test but as stated before all Corvettes are 50 state emissions legal...so unless there are non-CARB legal modifications, it should pass emissions with no problem.
Old 05-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Junk Box
Instructor

Had the guy send it over to me anyways, even though the car has more than 7500 miles.

Is this CA? It obviously says CALIFORNIA so I'm guessing so.

With that said, it seems like most have the California?
Old 08-28-2012, 10:13 PM
pmt67usa
Instructor

Was looking at an old thread and came upon your shout out....Thanks. It is amazing how folks that don't have the correct facts can spout opinions that would've derailed this buyer.

Pat

Quick Reply: Need advice with shipping a C6 from another state.