C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This traffic light brought tears to my eyes

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 01:28 AM
ChevyRider
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blue Bandit
My son has been to Iraq twice and afghanistan twice. My feeling: get them out of there.
Absolutely agree. Had many friends serve over there. Several have lost their wives and kids when they return. Some lost body parts. One will never come home...
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

That's a tough sacrifice to make. I believe the Gold Star tradition goes back to WWI. Families whose child returned (from War) placed a blue star on the window. Families who lost a child in the War would place the Gold Star on their home window. Many families had more than one Gold Star. I believe in WWII there was one family who lost 5 family members on the same ship. After that the Navy didn't post siblings/immediate family members on the same ship...sort of the 'last of the family name' exemption.

Old 05-03-2012, 05:36 AM
mcandrew67
Race Director

Received 1,013 Likes on 599 Posts
2016 Corvette of Year
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I don't think many stop to think of the troops overseas and whats going on with them and their family. A lot get to come onto forums and the biggest crisis in their life is the ticket they just got, or an issue with a dealership.
I just finished reading a great book by Chris Kyle, a Navy Seal sniper. Very insightful story on Iraq and Afghanistan and what was going on over there. He has the highest sniper kills of any US sniper in history.
If you want a glimpse into the life of a family and a soldier over there I would recomend reading it.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,123 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
....... I believe in WWII there was one family who lost 5 family members on the same ship. After that the Navy didn't post siblings/immediate family members on the same ship...sort of the 'last of the family name' exemption.

They were all brothers!! They wanted to serve together on the same ship. Last name was Sullivan if I remember correctly. There were many family homes in America during WWII that had multiple Gold Stars in their windows.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:49 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by Torchsport
I'll look for that. If I see it now, I'll have CF to thank for educating me.

On a somewhat related topic, if I get the chance, I pay for service members gas fills at stations when/if I see any plates marking service.
It's only happened twice, but very gratifying.
One was a Vietnam Vet plate, the 2nd was a purple heart plate.
Both were emotional experiences for both parties.
Your a class act Brad, what a great way to show your appreciation for our fellow Americans that keep us free.

Here's to you and the men and women who keep us free.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:33 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Old 05-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Peek
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hope and Pray

I'm retired military, and when I see those Gold and Blue Star stickers for sale in the PX I hope and pray those Gold ones never sell out. Fingers crossed, too.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:16 AM
C7 Mathis
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with all of the respect and tribute being put out there.

This threads makes me a little more proud to be a young Corvette owner, and even more proud to be an American

Thank you again to all that have served / are serving.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:38 AM
acesx4
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

thank you for your service, R.I.P.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:44 AM
DTH STR
Advanced

Originally Posted by JKbride
I'm at a stop light on my way home and behind a SUV with a USMC emblem on the right side of the rear window. On the left side was another sticker that said "My son is a Marine"

As I waited for the light, I notice the tag is a speciality tag issued by the state. Im sure you may have seen where some states issue tags with university logos, retired and active military, as well as other civic organizations.

Well this tag had an emblem that I had not seen before, so I eased up a few more feet so I could read it. It said "Gold Star Family Member".....My heart sank and my eyes pooled.

So, to my fellow commuter and all those other Gold Star family members thank you from the bottom of my heart for you sacrifice

For those who don't know, a "Gold Star" family is some one who has lost a child in combat.
Jeez.....I got goose bumps reading this. I could not in anyway imagine loosing my son and being able to go on with my life!

Shahram
Old 05-03-2012, 08:56 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,916 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Footdwn
You know it is one thing to be a member of this Corvette family (a new member at that) but it is totally another thing to see the honor and tribute paid to fellow veterans and those who paid the ultimate price...I am very proud of those fellow memebers who take the time to express their support in this forum. Very few organizations that will rally openly around these tributes any more, Harley owners( which I am one) and now I see it in the Corvette owners...awesome guys, proud to be a part of your family.
Well said. The loss of a child would be the worst pain I could think of.
God bless our service men and women and their families.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:10 AM
DocKevin
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '13

Corvette owner or not, we are all a big family in this country. I've never been in the military (and family sort of forbid any family from doing so after a bad incident a generation or two ago), but I've worked on some naval and air force bases.

Major respect to all military and their families.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:30 AM
azc62006
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fallen

OORAH SEMPER FI......

Last edited by azc62006; 05-03-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Baldie88
Cruising

My club participates in the Veterans Day parade each year. We always drive members of the local Gold Star Mothers organization. Last year we even drove a Gold Star Dad. I think we had 8 cars last year. They are a great bunch of ladies. We have large gold stars we put on the windshield and they always have large pictures of their children they lost. What's really cool is they are always looking for "their" Corvette as the same ladies in our club drive the same Gold Star Mother each year.

Ron
"Baldie88"
USAF Retired
Old 05-03-2012, 11:46 AM
lebvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21

I haven't seen one yet, but I will probably have the same reaction.
I learned very quickly....that the good guys don't alway win.
Old 05-03-2012, 01:13 PM
skipper972
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-03-2012, 01:46 PM
ip-do-tan
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To This traffic light brought tears to my eyes

Old 05-03-2012, 02:13 PM
trebor8008
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's times like this when the awareness is brought to our attention. Being a veteran myself I am always thinking of our current and past military personnel and I am very proud of them for what they do on a daily basis. Seeing what some of you have written (such as paying for fuel) gives me great ideas. Since I buy any veteran's food when I see them at a restaurant, I will now add more to the list. Thanks Brothers!
Old 05-03-2012, 02:14 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildmanht
Thanks for posting... I have never seen a tag like that here in California. Hope all states have them. I have always thought it was cool that the city I live in, they have flags on streetposts with the pictures of the men and women in my town on them who are serving...

One of the charities for families of wounded soldiers here in Maryland tried to get specialty tags produced by the State, donating the proceeds from the sale ($50.00/set every two years) to the charity. The State's Motor Vehicle Administration (MVA) turned them down stating it wasn't worth the trouble.

God Save the Good Guys
Old 05-03-2012, 04:00 PM
petervetter
Intermediate

my son is a us army 10th mtn division combat medic who just returned from a yearlong deployment in afghanistan. i am so thankful for his safe return. my prayers go out for the families of those who didn't. and thanks to all who serve and help to make our country the greatest.

Quick Reply: This traffic light brought tears to my eyes