C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little rant about aftermarket LED tail lights for C6

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 03:03 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A little rant about aftermarket LED tail lights for C6

What the eff is this really about? Not only poor selection (6 that I found altogether period) but the prices at the minimum twice of what C5 aftermarket replacements are with zillion choices. On top of it, just about all sellers are from California sticking in state buyers with sales tax on top of shipping. To top it off, the prices are all over the board for exactly the same lights and then again between choices in smoke or clear or red... Very strange
Old 05-02-2012, 03:17 PM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Fleabay my friend...Eagle Eyes...under $300 delivered....

Actually I got mine for only $269 delivered...

Old 05-02-2012, 03:23 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by waynelittle1
Fleabay my friend...Eagle Eyes...under $300 delivered....

Actually I got mine for only $269 delivered...

This rant is mainly about fleabay... You did not mention which version you bought. I tried to find a deal on the chrome/clear version and was looking at over 300 bucks when including tax and shipping as the cheapest choice. I finally got a deal from one of the sellers for 260 including tax and shipping BUT HAD TO BUY TWO SETS to get this price. Did you look at the price of lights for C5? You can pick up a set for about 100 bucks. What is exactly different about the LEDs and plastic housings for both cars?
Old 05-02-2012, 03:30 PM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by petermj
This rant is mainly about fleabay... You did not mention which version you bought. I tried to find a deal on the chrome/clear version and was looking at over 300 bucks when including tax and shipping as the cheapest choice. I finally got a deal from one of the sellers for 260 including tax and shipping BUT HAD TO BUY TWO SETS to get this price. Did you look at the price of lights for C5? You can pick up a set for about 100 bucks. What is exactly different about the LEDs and plastic housings for both cars?
Look at my profile pic/avatar...bought the red..

And at the time, it didn't matter which type, clear/chrome, black/clear...it was the same price...and at least fleabay is cheaper than any outside vendor I could find...I am more than happy.

As far as why the C5 is so much cheaper...not sure...maybe because it is not current generation...so demand is lower...I know these lights, especially int he red like mine, have had low availablity...sell out quick..but I feel your pain.

Still, between these, and the LEDs for my interior and reverse lights/side markers, both are the best mods I have done to date.

Old 05-02-2012, 03:31 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Eagle eye on fleebay same price $269 for the crystal red ones or whatever they are called. High quality with built in resistors and no issues over past 2 years. Had them on the 07 coupe and now the 2012 GS with no problems.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:33 PM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by studiovette
Eagle eye on fleebay same price $269 for the crystal red ones or whatever they are called. High quality with built in resistors and no issues over past 2 years. Had them on the 07 coupe and now the 2012 GS with no problems.
Old 05-02-2012, 03:41 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by studiovette
Anzo makes red, clear, smoke, then there is a choice of black onyx and ruby red with horizontal white stripe and finally something called Plasma red. These are all of the choices

There is not a single seller on fleabay that is not from California, thus, you would have to pay the sales tax and currently they charge shipping as well. The red anzo seems to be the cheapest for some reason. Now, since I want to paint mine, I need the clear version and as it figures, there are no deals, LOL... Also, keep in mind, any deals are still twice as much as C5

Last edited by petermj; 05-02-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Polar Jet
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Call me crazy but I ordered mine from Neal at Corvette Mods ( red Eagle Eyes version). I don't trust those Ebay sellers and would rather pay a bit more from a reputable vendor here knowing that if anything goes wrong, he will stand behind the products he sells... unlike an Ebay vendor.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:20 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 155 Likes on 85 Posts

What the eff is this really about? Not only poor selection (6 that I found altogether period) but the prices at the minimum twice of what C5 aftermarket replacements are with zillion choices. On top of it, just about all sellers are from California sticking in state buyers with sales tax on top of shipping. To top it off, the prices are all over the board for exactly the same lights and then again between choices in smoke or clear or red... Very strange

I don't like to pay for shipping or sales tax either, but what do you suggest they do? You, and I, live in CA. The sellers are from CA. They HAVE to charge sales tax, by law. We all wish that sellers would eat the cost of shipping and sales tax, but then they would just add it to the selling price.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Wyndridge3
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Polar Jet
I don't trust those Ebay sellers and would rather pay a bit more from a reputable vendor here knowing that if anything goes wrong, he will stand behind the products he sells... unlike an Ebay vendor.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:40 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Polar Jet
Call me crazy but I ordered mine from Neal at Corvette Mods ( red Eagle Eyes version). I don't trust those Ebay sellers and would rather pay a bit more from a reputable vendor here knowing that if anything goes wrong, he will stand behind the products he sells... unlike an Ebay vendor.
There are plenty of vendors selling here and on fleabay and there are plenty of good vendors on fleabay, do not let minor details like buyer protection or feedback get in the way of your reasoning. Also, where would vendor with a lousy fleabay feedback fit?
Old 05-02-2012, 04:42 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 427Z0SX
I don't like to pay for shipping or sales tax either, but what do you suggest they do? You, and I, live in CA. The sellers are from CA. They HAVE to charge sales tax, by law. We all wish that sellers would eat the cost of shipping and sales tax, but then they would just add it to the selling price.
With shipping fixed regardless of location, why should I be eating it? A good seller would be addressing this part since the shipping within the state is pretty cheap.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 312 Likes on 200 Posts

I have Eagle Eyes and one of mine got a small amount of water in it from washing the car...looks like the socket was not turned all the was and the seal was compromised.
The result is that it pretty much tarnished or stained all of the silver directly behind the lens and now standing back from the car one unit out of the four looks a bit darker than the rest, this after it dryed out. Of course there is no way to take them apart so im looking at cutting it open to see if I can remedy the issue.

Last edited by boraxman; 05-11-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:49 PM
waynelittle1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by boraxman
I have Eagle Eyes and one of mine got a small amount of water in it from washing the car, yes water can get in them.

The result is that it pretty much tarnished or stained all of the silver directly behind the lens and now standing back from the car one unit out of the four looks darker than the rest, this after it dryed out. Of course there is no way to take them apart so im looking at cutting it open to see if I can remedy the issue.
I put in tail light seals from CorvetteMods at the same time I installed these...no issues....that's not to say they couldn't get water in through the front lense I guess.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:50 PM
boraxman
Race Director

Received 312 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by waynelittle1
I put in tail light seals from CorvetteMods at the same time I installed these...no issues....that's not to say they couldn't get water in through the front lense I guess.
Mine have the same seals.
Old 05-02-2012, 04:56 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by boraxman
I have Eagle Eyes and one of mine got a small amount of water in it from washing the car, yes water can get in them.

The result is that it pretty much tarnished or stained all of the silver directly behind the lens and now standing back from the car one unit out of the four looks darker than the rest, this after it dryed out. Of course there is no way to take them apart so im looking at cutting it open to see if I can remedy the issue.

Word to the wise, I would do a complete resealing once you get these, I mean beyond how they come.

I may end up selling mine as they are or possibly buying another set for spares as I love the way they look but the fact is they are cheaply made.
They were put together, they have to come apart, most likely like the headlights May be a good idea to run a bead of silicone around the mating edge to prevent this from happening? Or do they have weep holes to prevent condensation? No matter, I am painting mine so these things should not show anyway.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:03 PM
ryker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock lights cost zero and still look like a corvette. The car style is so classic ,IMO, it does not require fancy lights to cover up for lack of style.

Get notified of new replies

To A little rant about aftermarket LED tail lights for C6

Old 05-02-2012, 05:11 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Why do you want to waste money replacing something that works fine the way it is? Sorta like replacing speakers in your car isn't it?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:40 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by EVRose
Why do you want to waste money replacing something that works fine the way it is? Sorta like replacing speakers in your car isn't it?
I do it to change appearances, not to claim it works better-unlike people "upgrading" their speakers. Not that your remark is related to the subject of my little rant anyway...
Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by EVRose
you're not being serious are you?

Quick Reply: A little rant about aftermarket LED tail lights for C6