C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted tail lights QUESTION???

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 08:14 PM
Kadorja
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Weird... this guy used VHT and it turned out pretty good... maybe he got lucky. Or wet sanded and used rubbing compound... plenty of pics and videos around on how to do it right.

Old 05-04-2012, 12:57 AM
ddanis60
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
Here, you cannot do this with VHT spray can. My old car, all the lights were black, matching the car. I decided to take a different route lately and will match the color of lights to the color of the cars I have which happened to be now silver and yellow. Black is fine on black but not on other colors, at least for me.
weird.. because my "VHT" outcome looks exactly like that. yours look great, but dont knock the alternative just because you didn't have good luck or because you didnt prep and finish correctly.

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
You don't get one shot. You tint it to the shade you want, and then add clear as the final step. One coat of VHT not enough? Put another coat on. When you get it to the shade you want, clear coat and polish.

Clear coat isn't necessary for VHT, but since you were complaining about the finish, and not being able to polish it, here's the solution.

And it's not counter productive. Each step has it's purpose. If you want to do it yourself instead of paying someone else to do it, VHT is a very good option. $12 in materials and you get the satisfaction of a DIY job that looks great.

Not sure what purpose it defeats? The VHT is for tinting, the clear is for finish and protection. You get the tint and the shine. Don't knock it since you obviously haven't tried it. There are other people with valid and viable opinions and methods too.
couldnt have said it better myself. everything ive tinted with vht has cost me 12 dollars for the single can im still on. and a 5 dollar can of clear. and i promise that if you compare mine up with a professionals, you wont find any difference (except price)
Old 05-04-2012, 01:56 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ddanis60
weird.. because my "VHT" outcome looks exactly like that. yours look great, but dont knock the alternative just because you didn't have good luck or because you didnt prep and finish correctly.

couldnt have said it better myself. everything ive tinted with vht has cost me 12 dollars for the single can im still on. and a 5 dollar can of clear. and i promise that if you compare mine up with a professionals, you wont find any difference (except price)
If you say so. I suggest you find someone who has done it the professional way and then claim you cannot tell a difference Nevertheless, do as you please.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:04 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
If you say so. I suggest you find someone who has done it the professional way and then claim you cannot tell a difference Nevertheless, do as you please.
Yeah, the rest of us poor schlubs have never been fortunate enough to see things done the right way... Guess we r jest ignrant.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:38 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by HrtGuy
Does and forum members know of anybody that will paint my rear tail lights for me. I don't trust myself to do it. I don't want them super dark just semi dark. Any ideas would be great. Have the covers now. Hate them. Thanks in advance.

If you were in Texas, I would do them for you. It's not hard to do.

1. Remove lights,and clean well to remove wax
2. Rough up, with 1500 wet sand paper
3. Paint with Duplicolor Niteshades, repeat coats until dark as you want, they will get a dark ruby red like a plum before they get black.
4. Sand lightly again with 1500 wet sand paper
5. Paint with duplicolor clear. Use lots of coats you will have plenty of paint. The more clear the better the finish.
6. Sand again this time to smooth out any rough spots. Sand until when dry everything is smooth.
7. Use white compound until you get the shine you want, then polish to protect paint.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it's not bad. Take your time.
If you google "tint my tail lights" you will find lots of pic's and instructions.

Good Luck, if I can do it, you can do it.

PS When you finish, don't forget to post pic's
Old 05-04-2012, 11:25 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
Yeah, the rest of us poor schlubs have never been fortunate enough to see things done the right way... Guess we r jest ignrant.
different standard I guess
Old 05-04-2012, 11:38 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

My buddy does a great job of tinting tails. Send me a PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Dochopr
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HrtGuy
Does and forum members know of anybody that will paint my rear tail lights for me. I don't trust myself to do it. I don't want them super dark just semi dark. Any ideas would be great. Have the covers now. Hate them. Thanks in advance.
Why don't you like the covers? Just to dark? Asking because trying to decide which route to go. What's the down side to the adhesive black out film?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 PM
ddanis60
Racer

Originally Posted by Dochopr
Why don't you like the covers? Just to dark? Asking because trying to decide which route to go. What's the down side to the adhesive black out film?
i hated them too. they look cheesy and like something a high schooler would put on his honda. not to mention the quality is not something id brag about when spending 79 bucks on them. plus anything taped to the car isnt all that great. besides emblems i guess.

just my opinion
Old 05-07-2012, 11:11 PM
t.borries
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out Lamin-X.com. I left a review and a pic of my '08.

Last edited by t.borries; 05-07-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:11 AM
child_of_fire
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i hated them too. they look cheesy and like something a high schooler would put on his honda. not to mention the quality is not something id brag about when spending 79 bucks on them. plus anything taped to the car isnt all that great. besides emblems i guess.

just my opinion
you could not have stated this better. i always equated this to fixing a nice car with duct tape. who would do that? painting is the propper technique. that stick-on bologna is what you did in highschool on your nissan sentra.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:21 AM
ddanis60
Racer

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
you could not have stated this better. i always equated this to fixing a nice car with duct tape. who would do that? painting is the propper technique. that stick-on bologna is what you did in highschool on your nissan sentra.
exactly

with all this being said.. i guess i could menton that i have a nearly brand new set of smoked covers for sale. they were on the car for about 40 miles. any takers?
Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 AM
flashburn
Racer

Had my neighbor tint mine (and my side markers) with ~20% vinyl tint. They turned out pretty good, and the price was right, but painted definitely looks better. If you look very closely at them, you'll see some imperfections. They also don't shine as much as painted/clearcoated ones would. Overall though, I'm pretty happy with them. I'll see how they hold up to the environment though.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:21 PM
Sigo
Advanced

Originally Posted by child_of_fire
dont get covers. unless you like attaching things to your nice ride with duck tape.

but if you want a professional to do the work, this guy does great work and comes highly recommended:

http://jonstintedtails.com/

his name is jon and you can tell him dave recommended him. he's done two or three of my cars. paints and clear coats as light or as dark as you want with quick turn-around time.
sold...not putting the covers on.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:55 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I plan on doing something with my Eagle Eye RED LED's. They are super bright when light and also shine Ruby red when off and just stand out too much with my new CG GS so I want to tone them down a bit. I sent an email to Jon's tinting which was provided on pg1 by child of Fire so waiting on a quote. I was gonna take my car in for tint this Friday and wondered maybe that's an option also but I really want it to look GREAT and do it once rather then have to remove the tint and then paint them which sounds like is the way to go. I love DIY stuff and have painted my hood liner and various other small engine pieces before so I might give it a shot but don't want to ruin my $350 LEDs If I were doing a stock set I wouldn't really care. Maybe I can try on one of my side markers and see what results I get. Thanks for all the ideas posted!!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:11 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by studiovette
I plan on doing something with my Eagle Eye RED LED's. They are super bright when light and also shine Ruby red when off and just stand out too much with my new CG GS so I want to tone them down a bit. I sent an email to Jon's tinting which was provided on pg1 by child of Fire so waiting on a quote. I was gonna take my car in for tint this Friday and wondered maybe that's an option also but I really want it to look GREAT and do it once rather then have to remove the tint and then paint them which sounds like is the way to go. I love DIY stuff and have painted my hood liner and various other small engine pieces before so I might give it a shot but don't want to ruin my $350 LEDs If I were doing a stock set I wouldn't really care. Maybe I can try on one of my side markers and see what results I get. Thanks for all the ideas posted!!
You can't really screw them up. Can always sand all the paint off & buff out.

PS I practiced on a piece of plexiglas.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:14 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dprestidge
You can't really screw them up. Can always sand all the paint off & buff out.

PS I practiced on a piece of plexiglas.
I got a quote from a pro tint guy for 100$. The materials alone will cost about 30 plus I don't own a wet sander so I think I'm gonna pass on the DIY unless you guys tell me I don't need a wet sander and can still make them look good with the VHT and clear. And finish them off with some compound and polish.

Last edited by studiovette; 05-09-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Painted tail lights QUESTION???

Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 PM
dprestidge
Burning Brakes

I got a quote from a pro tint guy for 100$. The materials alone will cost about 30 plus I don't own a wet sander so I think I'm gonna pass on the DIY unless you guys tell me I don't need a wet sander and an sill make them look good with the VHT and clear. And finish them off with some compound and polish.
$100 seems fair if you don't feel comfortable with DIY. You do the wet sanding buy hand. It's light sanding.
Good luck,
Let us know what you did & post pic's
Old 05-20-2012, 11:53 AM
ddanis60
Racer

I got a quote from a pro tint guy for 100$. The materials alone will cost about 30 plus I don't own a wet sander so I think I'm gonna pass on the DIY unless you guys tell me I don't need a wet sander and can still make them look good with the VHT and clear. And finish them off with some compound and polish.
VHT and clear worked perfect here. I went down to the local auto paint place and picked up a can of professional clear.. in a spray. its two part, and once you activate it with the tab on the bottom of the can, you have two days to use it.

I did tails and all 4 side markers. 3 coats VHT on the sides, two on the tails. then i did as many coats clear as i could with the can. i think i got 4. they turned out amazing.

Just go find some 1500 grit sandpaper for your wet sanding. use a little dish soap to make is slippery, and just dull the shine. make sure there is no more gloss to the original surface. if you screw it up or you want to go back to stock, simply pour some acetone or thinner over the surface, wipe off all the spray, finish wet sand smooth with 1500, then simply clear coat the plastic lens directly, or buff it (which is a lot more work.. but should still be done after)

good luck. ill post up some pics of mine if you want to see. I've gotten a lot of compliments
Old 05-20-2012, 02:31 PM
studiovette
Safety Car

VHT and clear worked perfect here. I went down to the local auto paint place and picked up a can of professional clear.. in a spray. its two part, and once you activate it with the tab on the bottom of the can, you have two days to use it.

I did tails and all 4 side markers. 3 coats VHT on the sides, two on the tails. then i did as many coats clear as i could with the can. i think i got 4. they turned out amazing.

Just go find some 1500 grit sandpaper for your wet sanding. use a little dish soap to make is slippery, and just dull the shine. make sure there is no more gloss to the original surface. if you screw it up or you want to go back to stock, simply pour some acetone or thinner over the surface, wipe off all the spray, finish wet sand smooth with 1500, then simply clear coat the plastic lens directly, or buff it (which is a lot more work.. but should still be done after)

good luck. ill post up some pics of mine if you want to see. I've gotten a lot of compliments

Yes please post pics
Thanks

Quick Reply: Painted tail lights QUESTION???