C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

your thoughts on a clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 07:22 PM
gee350z1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rz2mbc
Yuk......why do you say Yuk......do you know something we don't !?
Just his opinion everything is not for everyone. But imo it will protect the nose better than a 100 coats of zaino .
Old 04-28-2012, 07:43 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gee350z1
Just his opinion everything is not for everyone. But imo it will protect the nose better than a 100 coats of zaino .
meant no disrespect. just have seen what they look like and detract from the overall appearance of the car and what they look like after a few minor hits from road debris that can be carefully covered up with a good touch up artiste vs. an ugly site in a plastic sheet.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:58 PM
gee350z1
Instructor

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
meant no disrespect. just have seen what they look like and detract from the overall appearance of the car and what they look like after a few minor hits from road debris that can be carefully covered up with a good touch up artiste vs. an ugly site in a plastic sheet.

Yes i can see your point . I believe there's a few makers of the clear bra, but the 3m stuff is just awesome. i've had the 3m bra on 3 cars without the bra getting beat up. I guess it depends on where you live also
Old 04-28-2012, 08:04 PM
jcdreamer
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had it on my '08 MS vert for nearly four years and it is still invisible to anyone not looking for it. A couple of months ago a teenager pretty much rode his bicycle across and over my bumper and left headlight (that's another story). I was left with a 24" scuff mark with a partial rip on the clear bra.

I just had the clear bra replaced and there was not a scratch on the bumper. I'm glad I had it installed.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Slare
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

If you are going to do it, you need to do it early when the paint is flawless. On a new Vette I intended to actually drive, I would heavily consider it if a good installer was around me.

Beyond that I think it is a financial / preference item. If it is installed correctly you will barely notice it, and if you actually drive your car it will help the front end paint hold up for probably twice as long, it will take ~40-50k miles of beating and then you peel it off and the paint underneath is like new except for very heavy hits that were enough to get through it.

Another thing I like about it is that you don't need to be quite so careful about clean up on the road, no worries hosing off the front in a manual wash booth or scrubbing off bugs with a gas station squeegee which are things I wouldn't normally do on my paint.

However proper installation on a Vette is quite pricey because it is a very difficult install. So another way to look at it is you could have the front bumper refinished at least 1 time, probably close to 2 for the cost of the clear bra.

All of this is pointless if the car is a garage queen. No use bothering on a GQ.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:12 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Never in a million years here either.Sorry,but covering the nose and part of the hood with this stuff,then have a line at it's end visible or not,just doesn't do it for me.Plus covering the paint job can't be all that good either.All for what??800 or so bucks?Not in this lifetime.I'd rather put on a GM snap on bra for protection on trips when I need it and take it off when I dont.Simple.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:13 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Go with the Wolf!

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
yuk.
Now you have 2 experts that say no.
Your money, your car, your choice.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:20 PM
gee350z1
Instructor

Originally Posted by not08crmanymore
Never in a million years here either.Sorry,but covering the nose and part of the hood with this stuff,then have a line at it's end visible or not,just doesn't do it for me.Plus covering the paint job can't be all that good either.All for what??800 or so bucks?Not in this lifetime.I'd rather put on a GM snap on bra for protection on trips when I need it and take it off when I dont.Simple.
You can get the whole hood done to avoid seeing lines. They now have the entire pieces for the vette . Whole doors ,whole fenders, and whole hoods. for guys just like you who are bothered by lines. You can put the clear bra on the day after a paint job because it allows the paint to still cure .
Old 04-29-2012, 01:41 AM
Johns94Z
Advanced

Okay, there seems to be a little misguided information here.... I JUST got mine done. They are pricey but i think they are totally worth it..
Now i didn't read every post in the thread before i started writing this so ill just give you all a quick run down. For starters, i have the entire front of my car covered in this stuff. You cannot see any lines what so ever. The only time you have lines is when you decided to skimp on the coverage. I didn't think that was a good idea because i was already having the car done so i might as well not have that ugly line and get the maximum coverage for my car. The 2 most important things here are 1 chose a GOOD installer. This is highly important. The second most important part is chose an installer that uses a good film. There are a lot of different films out there. One film that almost everyone can agree sucks is 3M. The thing with 3M is although they are a fantastic company and they first created this stuff for the US Military for helicopter rotor blades. They haven't done much with it since the original design. 3M contains a lot of orange peel, and it isnt nearly as stain resistant as some of the other films. Its also prone to discoloring. The film used on my car is made by Xpel and its fantastic. It has NO orange peel, does NOT discolor, you can even write on it with a magic marker leave the car in the sun and come back 2 days later and wipe it off with an alcohol soaked rag and there will be no trace. The stuff also self heals if it is scratched. Just leave it in the sun for a day or 2 or pour warm water on it to speed up the process. You don't need to wax or do any type of special care to the laminate just wash with soap and water. Some other films need a special care regimen not this stuff. ALSO i had some scratches in the front of my car when i had this installed. I wanted him to buff them out first. He told me not to worry the adhesive would fill them in and they would completely disappear. He wasn't lying. They are GONE. And if that's not enough, they have a 10 year warranty that ALSO pays for the re-install. Ive been told they are one of the only companies that does that.
So my recommendation: DO IT! Get the whole front of the car done. You wont have any lines across the hood or any of that crap. ALSO make sure the guy is GOOD. And use a good film. I know personally that this new Xpel film is awesome and i do recommend it. Expect to pay from $1400-$2000 for the job. Sure its pricey but seriously. Would you rather spend it on a paint job or a buff job and still be vulnerable?

Alright so i decided to go find a video to show a couple things here also. 1. notice the swirl marks in this cars paint where the Xpel laminate isn't. Notice how they stop where it starts? But like i said this stuff will make scratches disappear too. On the driver side right under my head light it looks like a cat used it as a scratching post or something. The film hides it 100%. Anyway this is a cool video that displays the self healing potential of this film. **DISCLAIMER** No i don't work for Xpel nor am i affiliated in any way. I'm just a satisfied customer passing the word on to my fellow Vette owners

LINK:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUqzF...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by Johns94Z; 04-29-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:53 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm getting the whole front end done tomorrow along with rocker panels, rear brake ducts, mirrors, etc. on my 2012 GS CE coupe. Thom at Pro-Tect Mobile (Texa Venom on here) is doing the install. He travels so OKC may be a possibility. It will be on display in his booth at the Lone Star Classic in May, come check it out. After hitting a flying retread and dealing with repainting the front bumper and fender, I'm ALL IN on the clear bra, would have been no damage (or very little, most likely to clear bra only). I'm looking forward to the results. Will post pics of the install and final results. Wife and I washed and waxed the vette today in preparation for tomorrow.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:05 AM
Johns94Z
Advanced

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Wife and I washed and waxed the vette today in preparation for tomorrow.
Make sure you tell him that because he is going to need to strip that wax off before installing tomm
Old 04-29-2012, 03:32 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Johns94Z
Make sure you tell him that because he is going to need to strip that wax off before installing tomm
He knows.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:00 AM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Johns94Z
Expect to pay from $1400-$2000 for the job.
I'm with the Hell No! crowd, especially at this kind of price.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:01 AM
09Z06pj
Le Mans Master

Received 1,102 Likes on 753 Posts

I won't have a car without it. Have had it on my last four vehicles. Provides protection against chips and sandblasting of the rear quarters. Also so much easier to clean the front end after a road trip. Your choice but they work for me.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:14 AM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got one when my car was new. I didn't like the line in the hood, so I peeled it off of the hood, and left it on the bumper, mirrors, etc. This is what I recommend... This way you only get lines where you already have them and the most vulnerable part is protected.

If you don't use it for a daily driver, I would skip it.

One last thing, while it does protect your car from bug guts, it is considerably harder to clean it than well waxed paint.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:54 AM
S'vette
Melting Slicks

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

atleast 36Cs
Old 04-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by dvilin
For the money it cost, I passed on it. I know I am in the minority on this but I do not like the looks and yes you can see the lines up close. I do not like the fact that if the bra is damaged I still have to repair that.
So why pay all that money then worry about damage to the clearbra. Yes I know many say it is cheaper than repairing paint chips or damage, but I will take that chance.
I am sure the next owner will appreciate your care of their purchase.

I try to do what I can to avoid chips like not tailgating, etc. I spent the bra $ on headers.

Get notified of new replies

To your thoughts on a clear bra

Old 04-29-2012, 12:07 PM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I paid 800 for entire nose,1/3rd way up hood,mirrors,in front and behind each tire,rockers,inside door openers.Hardly anyone notices it,but 2 people thought it was a defect in paint.I'm very happy with it.It's an 09 vert with 13,000 miles.The bra has saved the car several times.If I buy another car it will have a clear bra.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:10 PM
chuckr
Racer

I have Venture Shield on a Artic White GS Vert. Been on 2 years and I would not do it again. It has started to yellow and the installer said I must have clayed the car To that I say BS junk product in my opinion
Old 04-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Slick64
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
I'm getting the whole front end done tomorrow along with rocker panels, rear brake ducts, mirrors, etc. on my 2012 GS CE coupe. Thom at Pro-Tect Mobile (Texa Venom on here) is doing the install. He travels so OKC may be a possibility. It will be on display in his booth at the Lone Star Classic in May, come check it out. After hitting a flying retread and dealing with repainting the front bumper and fender, I'm ALL IN on the clear bra, would have been no damage (or very little, most likely to clear bra only). I'm looking forward to the results. Will post pics of the install and final results. Wife and I washed and waxed the vette today in preparation for tomorrow.
He did my entire GS coupe except the rear bumper.

Quick Reply: your thoughts on a clear bra