C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Setting the record straight on batteries...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 10:26 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by petermj
Optima brand has no true deep cycle batteries, the yellow top is not a true deep cycle. Optima claims yellow top has the characteristics of a deep cycle battery but it is just marketing scheme to charge more. True deep cycle gel batteries are not capable of starting a car, they are meant to be discharged slowly over extended period of time. I agree with you completely that no matter what the battery is, a discharged battery is a discharged battery. Optima has a lower internal resistance meaning it will lose less charge over time but there are many other batteries doing exactly the same thing, with more capacity, more CA at the same or lower price. Batteries should be bought based on their specs and warranty, not a brand name.

I won't debate battery technology (or grammar) but I've said before....the old guy I know at the autoparts store has sold both Optima and 'conventional' (non-Optima) auto batteries for years. He said based on all the dead batteries he sees brought-in daily the premium you pay for the Optima does not translate into that much of an extended service life, if any. In his opinion, for the money you're better off with a quality 'conventional' battery.

My C6 is not used daily and on occasion it can sit unused for several weeks at a time. I've never used a battery tender and I've never had any starting/electrical/battery issues. My OEM battery lasted lasted around 4.5 years....an acceptable service life IMO.

The Optima battery may provide a slightly extended service life but I question whether its worth the 70-100% premium you pay. I'll stick with what works well for me.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:43 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O

I won't debate battery technology (or grammar) but I've said before....the old guy I know at the autoparts store has sold both Optima and 'conventional' (non-Optima) auto batteries for years. He said based on all the dead batteries he sees brought-in daily the premium you pay for the Optima does not translate into that much of an extended service life, if any. In his opinion, for the money you're better off with a quality 'conventional' battery.

My C6 is not used daily and on occasion it can sit unused for several weeks at a time. I've never used a battery tender and I've never had any starting/electrical/battery issues. My OEM battery lasted lasted around 4.5 years....an acceptable service life IMO.

The Optima battery may provide a slightly extended service life but I question whether its worth the 70-100% premium you pay. I'll stick with what works well for me.
Given conventional vs. AGM battery with gas recirculation feature, I take the AGM battery anytime. Not due to superior performance characteristics because there are none but due to convenience, no worries about electrolite and clean terminals. Conventional battery give out gas and that tends to corrode terminal, plus you can mount AGM batteries in any position. If this is not important, the conventional batteries offer more bang for the buck, as long as you make sure the electrolite does not run low.

The thing about AGM batteries, once they pop the safety valve, it is the end of the game, I actually had that happened with optimas before, never with any other brand.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

The capacity is a matter of amount of lead plates battery has, the heavier the battery, the more capacity it will have.
to the best of my knowledge Optima batteries are not 'lead plate', rather a fiberglass spiral mat design, far more resistent to vibration and inverted mounting.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:43 PM
ritzz06
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RainMan12
The problem with running batteries down too much is it allows sulfates to form on the plates which coats the plates and reduces their ability to both charge and discharge. The problem isn't as much letting the battery run flat, as it is how long it is left in a discharged state. It's one thing to drain a battery down and immediately start to recharge it. In that case, the battery will probably be only minimally impacted. The problem arises when the battery is drained, and then left in a discharge state. This is when the sulfates will form and coat the plates and ruin the battery.

There are some chargers out that attempt to "desulfate" batteries by applying pulses to the battery to dislodge any sulfate build up on the plates, and in some cases they can recover a sulfated battery, IF the suflation is not too severe. But it is true that draining a battery flat and leaving it that way can ruin indeed it. Even left in a slightly discharged state for a long enough period can diminish it's capacity. The way to prevent sulfation is to keep the battery fully charged, and this is the single best thing you can do to extend it's life.
Couldn't agree more. I have owned several sailboats with (house bank batteries) & that can be a major issue if you don't have an "on board" automatic charger.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:13 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mikado463
to the best of my knowledge Optima batteries are not 'lead plate', rather a fiberglass spiral mat design, far more resistent to vibration and inverted mounting.
Incorrect, the lead plates form the spiral, the mat is there to contain the acid to prevent splashing around. Battery is an electrolytic cell, there are only three types of materials used for electrodes, metals (lead in car batteries), graphite and semiconductors. I hope you seriously did not think that Optima battery uses fiberglass mat to generate the charge, this is actually pretty funny
Old 04-13-2012, 02:13 PM
Mikado463
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 450 Likes on 312 Posts

I hope you seriously did not think that Optima battery uses fiberglass mat to generate the charge, this is actually pretty funny
Peter, not at all, I was merely implying that they did not use a 'plate' in the manner of a conventional 'lead acid' battery

Last edited by Mikado463; 04-13-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:24 PM
MidYearRoadster
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 41 Posts

Will somebody shoot this horse please................
Old 04-13-2012, 03:22 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mikado463
Peter, not at all, I was merely implying that they did not use a 'plate' in the manner of a conventional 'lead acid' battery
Ah OK. No matter what shape, the lead spiral still functions as conventional plates and the only difference is the acid is contained in the mat. Tampons and AGM operate on the same principle...
Old 04-13-2012, 03:23 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MidYearRoadster
Will somebody shoot this horse please................
k

Old 04-13-2012, 04:33 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Ah OK. No matter what shape, the lead spiral still functions as conventional plates and the only difference is the acid is contained in the mat. Tampons and AGM operate on the same principle...

When my battery dies I can replace it with tampons???
Old 04-13-2012, 04:52 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by CBRXX
When my battery dies I can replace it with tampons???
Try harder if you want to clown in this thread. Did I say AGM battery or just AGM? AGM stands for ABSORPED GLASS MAT and the principal behind its operation is exactly the same as in anything else that absorps liquids, including tampons. Congrats on your reading comprehension and all around wit
Old 04-13-2012, 04:59 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Try harder if you want to clown in this thread. Did I say AGM battery or just AGM? AGM stands for ABSORPED GLASS MAT and the principal behind its operation is exactly the same as in anything else that absorps liquids, including tampons. Congrats on your reading comprehension and all around wit

I do understand them, got one in my bike, and have read up on them. Will def. be getting one when due in my GS. Another benefit is their self discharge rate is much lower. About 1/10 the rate of a standard battery.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:05 PM
petermj
Le Mans Master

I do understand them, got one in my bike, and have read up on them. Will def. be getting one when due in my GS. Another benefit is their self discharge rate is much lower. About 1/10 the rate of a standard battery.
Do comparisson shopping and check the specs. I would hold claims of lower discharge rate suspect at any time, get the manufacturer numbers and compare. The misinformation and creative marketing in so called high end batteries is only second to car audio and interestingly enough, they are often sold by the same retailers...
Old 04-13-2012, 05:21 PM
CBRXX
Racer

Do comparisson shopping and check the specs. I would hold claims of lower discharge rate suspect at any time, get the manufacturer numbers and compare. The misinformation and creative marketing in so called high end batteries is only second to car audio and interestingly enough, they are often sold by the same retailers...
I was doing some reading on their benefits, not just marketing claims. I think they said discharge about 1% a month, while a regular battery may be closer to 10%, and thats just sitting on a shelf.

I do note that my motorcycle battery, when I pull it from the bike for the hardest part of winter, can sit for a months. After that, if I connect the battery tender, it registers full charge very quickly, in under a minute, it just goes from charging to "charged". I don't even bother now, I just know it will work.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne O
The Optima battery may provide a slightly extended service life but I question whether its worth the 70-100% premium you pay.
In my personal experience, they're definitely worth the difference IF your battery is inside the car, like most Ferraris, dry-sump Vettes, etc. AGM batteries DO NOT do well in extreme heat found inside engine compartments. And I wouldn't buy one if my Vette wasn't a dry-sump. And that brings me to the opposite argument: A wet cell battery SHOULD NOT be installed inside the car, like it is on my GS. So will probably replace it way sooner than needed. The 'vent' cable on my battery was routed above the battery. Rotated the vent down to allow gravity to do its job, but even in a mild crash, battery acid can cause a lot of damage to surrounding parts. Not a good idea in my book. Have a good one.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
In my personal experience, they're definitely worth the difference IF your battery is inside the car, like most Ferraris, dry-sump Vettes, etc. AGM batteries DO NOT do well in extreme heat found inside engine compartments. And I wouldn't buy one if my Vette wasn't a dry-sump. And that brings me to the opposite argument: A wet cell battery SHOULD NOT be installed inside the car, like it is on my GS. So will probably replace it way sooner than needed. The 'vent' cable on my battery was routed above the battery. Rotated the vent down to allow gravity to do its job, but even in a mild crash, battery acid can cause a lot of damage to surrounding parts. Not a good idea in my book. Have a good one.
The purpose of the vent is not to vent liquid(acid) but the gas generated during charging, to the outside of the interior of the car. You don't want a build up of gas inside the car. That's why the underhood batteries do not have the vent. The engine compartment is open to the outside of the car and the explosive gas can dissipate.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:29 PM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Get notified of new replies

To Setting the record straight on batteries...

Old 04-14-2012, 12:20 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

I was doing some reading on their benefits, not just marketing claims. I think they said discharge about 1% a month, while a regular battery may be closer to 10%, and thats just sitting on a shelf.

I do note that my motorcycle battery, when I pull it from the bike for the hardest part of winter, can sit for a months. After that, if I connect the battery tender, it registers full charge very quickly, in under a minute, it just goes from charging to "charged". I don't even bother now, I just know it will work.
LOL, you have been lied to again... Not just Optima but any other AGM battery will give you smaller self discharge due to lesser internal resistance, as a matter of fact, there are quite a few that have lower internal resistance than Optima. You also need to keep in mind that the numbers you get are referring to optimum ambient temperature and all batteries are subject to rise in internal resistance when temperature goes up, this is why your bike battery is discharged very little during winter months. Try the same during summer and you should be in for a surprise, even with the best battery...
Old 04-14-2012, 12:26 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

So to really set the record straight, keep your battery, regardless of the type and size fully charged because when ANY battery charge reaches 80% and lower, sulfation starts and battery capacity is permanently decreased. Spend that 20-30 bucks and get a trickle charger to keep your battery topped off all the time.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:40 AM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J Willis
Of course I know what a paragraph is. I was an English major in college and I am a published writer and poet. I just leave .........for paragraphs because it is a lot easier. Thank you...........
Poet huh?

Do your poems start with "There once was a girl from Nantucket..." ?

Quick Reply: Setting the record straight on batteries...