C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Book or website recommendation for learning about various performance mods, for newb?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:10 PM
Adam_W
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Book or website recommendation for learning about various performance mods, for newb?

On this forum, I read about porting, milling, sway bars, solid mounts for engine/transmission, stalls, various types of air intakes and intercoolers, debates of cam specifications and lobes and overlap, coilovers, DRM Bilsteins, etc etc.

Prior to owning my Z06, I never paid attention to cars and don't know all this stuff. My questions are mainly :

1) mechanical - e.g. what do sway bars or coilovers do,
2) pros/cons of given mod - e.g. what are the downsides of a cam (= surging, bucking etc) , and
3) rough estimate of cost vs. effectiveness, e.g. for a given performance mod like porting or milling, how much does that cost and what is return on investment in terms of increase in horsepower?

Those are just examples, but I have similar type questions to a lot of things discussed on this website (springs, different clutches, etc).

Can you direct me to a good book or website that is geared toward people like me who are new to this, but still over sufficient detail? I've found websites that are way to basic and don't provide the info I want, as well as books that are too detailed and assume prerequisite knowledge that I don't have.

thanks!
Old 11-20-2013, 02:30 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

Although you will get some great answers on this forum section try the tech and performance section at http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...rformance-101/

Quick Reply: Book or website recommendation for learning about various performance mods, for newb?