C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wind causing a loud buzz in right front corner

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 05:53 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Wind causing a loud buzz in right front corner

We have had a couple of cold fronts come into my area recently. I've been driving in the 25-30 mph wind that has accompanied these fronts. If I drive the car into a quartering head wind on the right side of the car, I pick up very loud buzzing sound. If I turn the car around 180 degrees and go back over the same stretch of road, there is no buzzing sound. This usually occurs above 45 mph. If there is no wind or only a very light wind, below 15 mph, no buzzing sound is created. This has happened on two separate occasions.

Have any of you experienced this? Know what could cause it? I've looked in the wheel well and there doesn't seem to be anything flapping around. If you tap around on the inner wheel linings, there is a hollow, tinny sound. But that is in all of wheel wells. This only happens on the right front corner of the car.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:55 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,250 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by Patdown
We have had a couple of cold fronts come into my area recently. I've been driving in the 25-30 mph wind that has accompanied these fronts. If I drive the car into a quartering head wind on the right side of the car, I pick up very loud buzzing sound. If I turn the car around 180 degrees and go back over the same stretch of road, there is no buzzing sound. This usually occurs above 45 mph. If there is no wind or only a very light wind, below 15 mph, no buzzing sound is created. This has happened on two separate occasions.

Have any of you experienced this? Know what could cause it? I've looked in the wheel well and there doesn't seem to be anything flapping around. If you tap around on the inner wheel linings, there is a hollow, tinny sound. But that is in all of wheel wells. This only happens on the right front corner of the car.
Do a search, it's the plastic trim below the windshield. I think some have used double sided tape to fix it.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:02 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-2008-c6.html
Old 03-05-2015, 06:59 PM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Had my glass guy take care of an issue like this for me last summer.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:06 PM
Buck Henry
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, common problem and easy fix. I ran a bead of silicon under the lip where the cowl meets the glass and no more buzzzzzzzzzzz!
Old 03-05-2015, 07:10 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

Thanks, guys. Great to be part of this forum.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks, guys. Great to be part of this forum.
$100 and 15 minutes to replace it if temp fix is not to your liking.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:08 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Do a search, it's the plastic trim below the windshield. I think some have used double sided tape to fix it.
I've noticed that often times it depends on which way the wind is blowing. Mine was doing it, and when I turned to go another direction, the noise went away.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:42 PM
PDsVettes
Burning Brakes

For you guys that used the double sided tape, did you put it on the entire length of trim piece or just spaced it out across the whole windshield?

After further research, I found this PI0766 http://www.sccorvettes.org/Portals/0...Windshield.pdf which is for a 2010-2013 Corvette. It's a GM document and has good picts and write up.

Last edited by PDsVettes; 03-05-2015 at 11:33 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:32 AM
bobeast
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

I just put a 2 inch piece of tape at what appeared to be the closest contact point to the windshield about 6 inches in from the right in my case.

I used that clear 3M tape with the red transfer film.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:52 AM
ZR1Cat
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 75 Posts

I have experienced this a few times during cold weather highway trips and it can really get to be annoying. Since it happens so rarely, I am on the fence about doing the GM recommended fix. I do keep a roll of duck tape handy and have only once had to place a six inch section over the cowl and windshield during a road trip. It looked tacky, but hey it worked as a temporary fix. I just removed it when I reached my destination.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:42 PM
1RB
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had a similar issue on my 2012 GS. Isolated the issue by applying tape along the lower right window molding where the molding meets the glass.

There is a GM Tech Bulletin which addresses this.

#PI0766: Buzz Noise Heard Near Base of Windshield at Highway Speeds - (Jul 17, 2012)
Note: This bulletin is still current as of 12/17/2014.

The local dealer repaired per the Bulletin, and problem fixed.

Get notified of new replies

To Wind causing a loud buzz in right front corner

Quick Reply: Wind causing a loud buzz in right front corner