C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with oil smell after oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 11:09 AM
Allen_B
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Admiral Ballsy
I've got the problem, and mine's a dry dump. I'm leaning to the overfill theory; I'm gonna take a half-quart out and see if it persists.

Same "smell" issue on my 2009 wet-sump LS3. Still scratching my head but the slight over-fill makes the most sense... Intend to short the next fill by a quart initially then top off a little at a time to get it mid-range on the dip-stick to test.

/r

Allen

Last edited by Allen_B; 11-11-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Rons65
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2010 ZR1, having the exact same smell issue after an oil change. And like everyone else, I swear there was no spillage!

I to have a 2010 ZR1, do my own oil changes and yes, no spillage or splash anywhere -dry as a bone - still has the smell for a few weeks. Drives me crazy, but no leaks (I have a 4 post lift and I have had it up on the lift many times with drop light looking for leaks)....

Hope someone can find a answer for this!

Ron
Old 11-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Skip Watson
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil smell

Originally Posted by Venomized03
OK guys/gals... I am a Asst Service Manager for a big GM dealer in Florida. I have a customer who has been bringing in his 2009 Corvette since it was new. Now has 16k miles. Since the day he bought the car, he has been getting a oil smell only when coming to a stop after driving for a few minutes. Obviously the first few times he brought the vehicle in, we suspected maybe some oil was spilled when changing the oil. After we carefully changed the oil a few times, we now know it has nothing to do with oil spill. After we change the oil, the smell is extremely strong at stop lights. It stays there for a good 2k miles then slowly gets better.

I was not asked to put up a thread, but since I am on this website daily, I figured "what the heck" I might as well try to help GM and my customer out alittle bit. Has anyone had this problem, or heard of this problem? I did a search and couldnt find anything that sounded like my these symptoms...

THANKS IN ADVANCE

JASON
Jason,
Had the same problem and dealer couldn't find it. contacted GM and a rep came and checked it out. the solution he gave me was out of this world but since it was under warranty and I wanted it fixed I went along.
He said they have had this problem and fixed it by replacing the rear oil seal (yea right) well what choise did I have if I said no then they were done. if it didn't work I could go after the lemon law.
guess what it worked I was there when they took it apart and took pictures, they put in a new seal after cleaning it up and lubing it with mobil 1, no more smell.
Went to the mid america fun fest last sep. talked to a Vette teck from GM, he said ther is an un-published bulletin on this problem.
That does make sense because if they had to replace every oil seal the cost would be high and I have a couple of freinds with new vettes that can't smell and wouldn't be bothered.
also when they put it back together and lined it up they srewed up the alignment and ended up putting new rear tires on in 4000 miles.
2011 gs owner
Old 11-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Just thinking out loud here, In order to get oil to burn, it has to be in direct contact with something hot enough to burn it.

1) The normal engine operating temp of around 210 degrees will not be hot enough to cook
the oil. So oil any where on the engine other than the exhaust system will not cause the
burning oil smell

2) If the PCV system was drawing oil, it would be doing it all the time, blue smoke would be
evident out the exhaust pipes, especially at start ups, and the oil level would be dropping
quite rapidly between changes, Also, the spark plugs would show some evidence of oil
fouling. Again you are not get the smell of burning oil from the engine, It is just not hot enough.
You might smell it at the rear of the car as it exits the exhaust system !! but again, it
would smell all the time.

3) Since this issues seems to happen only on some cars (and apparently only at oil
changes) The issue then has to be oil change related.

4) Therefore, oil has to be leaking or being spilled on to the exhaust pipes or the near the
exhaust manifolds and/or exhaust ports on the heads.

5) So what happens during an oil change, the drain plug is removed, oil pours out, (it can
splash on to the bottom of the exhaust near the Cats etc.)

5.1) The filter is removed, oil can splash in the same area, and if the filter mounting area
is not wiped up prior to installing the new filter, oil can drip and splash back on to
the pipes until it has stopped dripping.

5.2) If you have oil on you hands or shop rags, then wipe the exhaust, you will get the
burning smell until the oil film has burned off or is removed.

6) When Adding oil, is any oil being dripped or spilled on to the passenger side head or
exhaust manifold? Is it leaking from the filler neck?

6.1) If oil is being added quickly, it could be overwhelming the valve cover gasket. Check
the back of the block between the fire wall and engine. If oil is leaking out the back of the
passenger side valve cover then dripping down the back of the engine, you will get that
time delayed oil smell until the excess oil has leaked off.

7) Lastly, After the oil change, leave the car up in the air, station a few people around and under
the car, Start it up and wait, you should able to see the wisps of oil smoke rising as the exhaust heats up.

Good luck i hope you find the burning oil culprit !!
Old 11-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Weather was nice yesterday, and I went out for a half-hour drive. I made a quick stop, and when I got back in and started the car, I had a pretty strong oil smell.

I popped the hood, and sniffed (yes, very much the scientific method here) around. The smell was only present around the passenger-side valve cover. I pulled off the FRC and nothing appeared amiss, but I'm almost certain it involves the PCV system. There's no spilled oil or leaks on the engine topside (well, there's none anywhere, actually), and anyway my car isn't going to have any spills on the engine itself at oil changes since the fill is remote.

I agree with a previous opinion that it's not a problem with excess oil in the TB since vapor or oil going into the TB is gonna get burned, IOW it's not gonna be exposed to my nose. So it almost has to be some kind of leaking of PCV vapor.

The PCV system is a bunch of semirigid plastic tubing and bayonet fittings; it looks and feels rather flimsy but I couldn't find anything obviously wrong or broken.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:06 PM
CO GEEZER
Intermediate

Originally Posted by terradriller
This same thread was up a couple of weeks ago. I had the same problem, the last time I changed the oil i did not have the smell,Today I changed the oil and I do not have the smell.

I believe what is going on is when the filter is put on the engine a small amount oil is squeezed out of the filter gasket and is exposed to the heat of the engine. These engines really produce a lot of heat and it would only take a couple of drops to cause this smell. When I install the filter I carefully prefill it and only apply a very thin film of oil.I'm also very careful to not allow any oil to be exposed to the outside of the filter gasket.

2 oil changes now with no smell.........

I thinking that this may possibly a GM filter problem. I had the smell problem on both the first and this most recent oil change with my 011 GS Vert. With the second one, I discussed with the dealer techs the problem and stood under the car with them when everything was changed, etc. no leakage, proper filter torque, etc. Drove home and yup.. there was the oil smell again.. I checked under the car and discovered some oil drips off the filter. Took it immediatly back to the dealer and found the oil was seeping between the top of the oil filter can and it's hard rubber gasket, then running down the side of the filter.. apparently splashing on the exhaust when driven.

They changed the filter under warranty and claimed they thought there was a groove in the gasket and it may have been the reason it wasn't sealing to the filter can. I Don't have oil leak now but the smell presists probably it needs to burn off. Only been a couple of hundred miles. I'm now wondering if it is indeed a filter design problem or gasket problem.

I think it may problem with the filter gasket material or design. Anyone tried changing brands of oil filters?

P.S. thinking about trading for a 427... anyone having the same problems with that engine?
Old 11-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Originally Posted by CO GEEZER
P.S. thinking about trading for a 427... anyone having the same problems with that engine?
Mine is a 427, and it's wearing a Mobil 1 filter. My problem, at least, has nothing to do with filters or oil leaks or spills.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:40 PM
lennieorr
Advanced

I used a K and N oil filter with a very thin oil film on the gasket with no other leaks or drips and had the same problem.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Hall1836
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2012 GS A6 let me ad to the list.

Old school, had the dealer change the oil at 1000 miles, after the change drove about five miles and had the burnt oil smell at a light. Figured it was spilled oil, like others I checked everything including under the car and still get the smell (600 miles later) every so often have not found anything that looks like it had oil on it.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 PM
jost6453
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 225 Likes on 150 Posts

I changed oil on my '11 GS dry sump a few weeks ago. The first stop light I got to after the change, there it was ... that nasty burnt oil smell. I was careful, but can't swear I didn't get a few drops on the exhaust or converter when changing the filter. So I got the hose out and sprayed things off in the area of the filter & cat converter. No more smell.

My personal opinion is that the exhaust is the only thing that gets hot enough to produce 'the smell'. A little oil on the pan, etc is not going to get hot enough to stink. If it's a PCV issue, the burnt oil will go out the tailpipe. And an engine that burns oil give off a slight different small than what you get with oil on your headers/manifold/coverter.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:57 PM
goushdds
Navigator

Am I missing something? How can the rear oil seal all of a sudden start to leak and cause a smell right after a oil change? wouldn't it do it all the time? wouldn't we be able to see something on the floor after the car sits all winter? or on that note, wouldn't you get the smell after the car sits for an extended period of time?
Old 11-19-2012, 06:04 AM
Sargevette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by goushdds
Am I missing something? How can the rear oil seal all of a sudden start to leak and cause a smell right after a oil change? wouldn't it do it all the time? wouldn't we be able to see something on the floor after the car sits all winter? or on that note, wouldn't you get the smell after the car sits for an extended period of time?
I just can't see it being a rear main seal problem. And there would be some type of visual evidence of a rear main leak. I purchased my 09 with 14K miles on it about a month ago. It had a fresh oil change and when I got it home the first day I noticed the smell. Seems to be going away now. I'm going to live with it and see what GM steps up and does. I have a 3 year extended warranty so we shall see. Nice to see all the comments and input on this here.
Old 02-25-2013, 02:59 PM
D2 Vette
Intermediate

Have you solved this mystery yet? Apparently my 2005 LS2 does not have a PCV system which came up a lot in these threads. I'm now at 125K miles and still have the burnt oil smell. Is it possible to "Re-Route" the fresh air intake so it pulls fresh air from the top of the engine compartment vs the bottom?
Old 02-25-2013, 06:00 PM
Jet Streaming
Racer

Originally Posted by EyeMaster
I've always had an oil smell after I change the oil in any car because I spill here and there. I don't know how to do one without spilling any oil.

Is it really strong? Maybe try washing the engine bay?
I have this issue as well and no oil was spilled on the motor. Dealer could not figure it out either
Old 02-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Turbo6TA
Race Director

Received 3,089 Likes on 2,078 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

And after all this time .... nobody here has figured out what causes the oil smell ? ?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM
One-O-Wonder
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Oil Smell

Experienced the exact same problem with my 08... Early last year for the first time I noted oil covering the oil pan and the odor of burning oil. I never located any point where this oil smear contacted the exhaust but assumed this was the cause of the odor.
In November of 2012 I had the oil pan gasket replaced under warranty at Mac Mulkin in Nashua. They did an outstanding job and the oil pan was as clean as when the car came off the assembly line at the factory, oil filter clean and dry as was the oil drain plug and surrounding area.
However even with new oil pan gasket...same problem with the burnt oil smell. I have been under the car..not a drop oil on the oil pan with the new gasket, oil filter can totally clean, no oil on drain plug or anywhere.
Still the burnt oil smell while stopped at the light. I will check out the PVC line as others have suggested. Has anyone found the point where the oil contacts the exhaust system? Thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 PM
joliett
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by D2 Vette
Have you solved this mystery yet? Apparently my 2005 LS2 does not have a PCV system which came up a lot in these threads. I'm now at 125K miles and still have the burnt oil smell. Is it possible to "Re-Route" the fresh air intake so it pulls fresh air from the top of the engine compartment vs the bottom?
You do have the PCV hose...just search the forum for it's location and pictures. Since I installed my catch-can, I havent smelled the burnt oil smell anymore. After you locate the small 8" PCV hose, just look in it, and you will see condensed oil vapors. These vapors are ultimately rerouted back into the engine's intake maniford for burning.

The catch-can, I believe traps and filters the larger oil vapors which then return to the intake manifold much cleaner with less oil to breathe...hence no oil buring smell.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with oil smell after oil changes

Old 03-04-2013, 12:40 PM
genolan
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone come to a final root cause of the oil smell?
Old 03-04-2013, 12:50 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Having had 4 LS engine cars and done every oil change myself on all of them I can say that I have never had any oil smell after changing the oil.

I have on my Durango and my Jeep (both Hemi engines) but it is because oil goes all over everything when I drop the filter.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Jim Barker
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts

Sounds like engine crankcase fumes getting into cabin filter area. I know the dipstick gets so hot it burns the oil on the stick where it is closest to the exhaust. If its not sealed or pushed in good enough? I am pretty sure shellac was on my 08 but I was never plagued with the smell. Check dip sticks for seal and shellac! Just guessin

Quick Reply: Help with oil smell after oil changes