C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with oil smell after oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 PM
corvettejack
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

in a previous thread about this they mentioned pouring the new oil in to fast for what ever reason they said to pour the new oil in real slow I recently changed mine following these instructions and have no oil smell 2008 base coup Jack
Old 12-03-2013, 10:57 AM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a 427 convertible for a little over a year, I get the smell with every change.

I just bought a CTS-V two weeks ago, changed the break-in oil, and it's got the smell worse than the Corvette.

However, I've never had the problem with the LC9 in my Avalanche.

I'm stumped. There's no external leaking, but even if it's overfilled and burning the oil...why is the smell coming through the HVAC vents? It's clearly coming from in front of the firewall (you can smell it sometimes with the hood up).
Old 12-03-2013, 11:27 AM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys ... we should stop this thread.

The solution is known/proven (by GM) --- either put up with the smell or get your rear seal replaced (with all assembly grease cleaned off the surface...only use a light coating of engine oil).

Contact Paul Koerner (google to find him) to get facts from a "real" GM TechExpert.

So why keep beating the horse to death any longer?
Old 12-03-2013, 11:40 AM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Changing my oil causes rear main leaks? On cars with 900 miles?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:58 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005

The solution is known/proven (by GM) --- either put up with the smell or get your rear seal replaced (with all assembly grease cleaned off the surface...only use a light coating of engine oil).

Contact Paul Koerner (google to find him) to get facts from a "real" GM TechExpert.

Apparently you've been indoctrinated to the urban legend of the oil seal grease. The problem with that theory, is there are no reports of smells until the first oil change and that the smell only lasts for a short while, yet returns immediately after the next change. The service manual states no lubricant of any kind is to be used on that oil seal. The subject "lubricant" that is claimed to be the culprit has not been identified to increase the aromatic properties of either new or used oil. Most of those with the smell get the oil changed at the dealer and most without any smell do the oil change themselves. You can bet that any dealer who changed a seal, also made real sure to add the correct amount of oil and checked it several times before the customer got the car back.

Try applying some factual data to reach a logical conclusion before relying on an assumed "expert".
Old 12-03-2013, 03:13 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Also, there is a fella on this forum who had his rear main seal changed out. He was happy as a peach when he left the dealership. However, time passed and another oil change. Guess what? Oil smell still there.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:20 PM
bpGx
Racer

Same thing was happening to my Lincoln Ls I had leak on oil pan bad gasket after I replaced gasket it stopped.
I hate to tell you but you have leak somewhere just enough to leak and burn on manifold or exhaust good luck I wish this will help you.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I just read through 407 posts and still have no definitive solution to the oil smell in my '08 Coupe with 13k miles.

I'm gonna start by:
1) draining some oil, and,
2) installing new carbon cabin filter.

Still can't believe no one has the final answer. It would seem like a rather easy solution has to be available......... Interesting, and depressing.....
Old 12-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Old Boot
Pro

Just had my oil changed again. I was one of the ones had the smell in the begining, when they add the new oil slow I get no smell. Again I say the dealer changed my oil several times when below 5000 miles to find out. It seems to work I smell nothing now, 15000 miles now.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Originally Posted by bpGx
I hate to tell you but you have leak somewhere just enough to leak and burn on manifold or exhaust good luck I wish this will help you.
And it's smart enough to leak only when you change the oil?
Old 12-03-2013, 06:37 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Originally Posted by Old Boot
when they add the new oil slow I get no smell.
If there was any logical reason why that would make a difference, it'd be one thing. But there isn't.

Since it's related to oil changes, it's gotta have something to do with one or more of the three orifices involved with that task.

I don't see how it can be the drain plug. I don't see how it can be the filler. So that leaves the filter. Next time I do a change, I'll pay more attention to that area, but the only vehicle I'll be doing that to anytime soon is the one that's never had the smell.
Old 12-03-2013, 06:39 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005

Old 12-03-2013, 07:13 PM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
Then perhaps you can explain why oil changes cause rear mains to leak temporarily?
Old 12-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Cherokee Nation
Le Mans Master

Received 290 Likes on 271 Posts

It is because of new OIL.....
Old 12-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

seven years and no smell here - I have even spilled oil on the pan when removing the oil filter...
Old 12-03-2013, 10:13 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

So far the only thing that has worked for me is NOT adding 6 quarts of oil. If I add 5 1/2 quarts, good to go! Now, I have only had one oil change using this technique. I have another oil change coming up soon. And BTW, 5 1/2 quarts is spot on the full mark!!

I change my own oil using a lift. There is absolutely zero oil spills/leaks/drips/drops/(insert your word) during the oil change process. It's not the rear main seal as some want to hang on to as a reason.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:15 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Quote:

Originally Posted by MachAll 2005 View Post

Originally Posted by HOXXOH
Apparently you've been indoctrinated to the urban legend of the oil seal grease.
Try applying some factual data to reach a logical conclusion before relying on an assumed "expert".
IF you would go back and find my earlier posts, you would realize that I have first had experience witnessing the problem and solution .. IT IS FACTUAL!

Last edited by MachAll 2005; 12-09-2013 at 06:23 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with oil smell after oil changes

Old 12-09-2013, 06:42 PM
MobyDickDog
Instructor

Any idea why replacing the rear main seal did NOT work on another Corvette Forum members C6 ??

Thanks, MobyDickDog
Old 12-09-2013, 07:08 PM
Mad*Max
Race Director

Received 1,508 Likes on 820 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

Originally Posted by MobyDickDog
So far the only thing that has worked for me is NOT adding 6 quarts of oil. If I add 5 1/2 quarts, good to go! Now, I have only had one oil change using this technique. I have another oil change coming up soon. And BTW, 5 1/2 quarts is spot on the full mark!!

I change my own oil using a lift. There is absolutely zero oil spills/leaks/drips/drops/(insert your word) during the oil change process. It's not the rear main seal as some want to hang on to as a reason.
I have even overfilled and no smell
Old 12-09-2013, 07:14 PM
MachAll 2005
Drifting

Originally Posted by MobyDickDog
Any idea why replacing the rear main seal did NOT work on another Corvette Forum members C6 ??

Thanks, MobyDickDog
Likely didn't clean the assembly grease from the seal surface before installation ... in the case that I witnessed, the Chevy Factory Rep carefully cleaned all the grease and installed the seal with a light coating of Mobil 1 oil. Never had a smell after that after at least 3 oil changes.

Quick Reply: Help with oil smell after oil changes