C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low "Drone" noise on new GS. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,025 Likes on 1,694 Posts

Originally Posted by 01VETTECOP
WoW, I'm in love !

that thing is beautiful in every way !
Thanks Man. I picked it up last week from Rick "Corvette" Conti outside Columbus Ohio. He took great care of me...
Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Default Tech ride along

So I stopped by a dealer this afternoon, and they were able to have their vette tech go out for a ride with me and he heard the droning noise as well.

It is not making the droning noise just between 72-78 but in other gears at aprox 1600 to 1900 RPM. It is notable at all speeds, with the top up and down (as I discovered yesterday when we were in the 70's).

So he is going to do some research and I drop it off on Monday morning. I'll keep you posted on the official diagnosis.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:22 PM
masihman
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dlinderman
So I stopped by a dealer this afternoon, and they were able to have their vette tech go out for a ride with me and he heard the droning noise as well.

It is not making the droning noise just between 72-78 but in other gears at aprox 1600 to 1900 RPM. It is notable at all speeds, with the top up and down (as I discovered yesterday when we were in the 70's).

So he is going to do some research and I drop it off on Monday morning. I'll keep you posted on the official diagnosis.
Please do give us feedback as mine is doing the exact same thing. I picked up my GS less than 3 weeks ago and I have the exact same noise between 1600 and 1900 rpm in every gear. The strange thing is it doesn't always do it, but I noticed it does it more frequently when the car has been driven for a while. If I just take it out for a short trip I don't hear it. If I drive it on the highway and then on the side roads I really start to hear it. Please let me know what they find because this is driving me crazy. My 05 never made this noise.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

To give everyone an update:

I dropped my GS off yesterday, and after a ride along last week with the Corvette tech both the dealer and GM are aggressively pursuing this, so for now I'm pleased that the issue has been acknowledged.

The downside is the the GM engineer working with my tech says there is little documentation of this issue, but they believe it is an exhaust resonance issue, which I hope it is and not some kind of rear differential or gear issue...I think, or maybe that would be easier.

It turns out the X pipes are new this year and includes a secondary catalytic converter? I actually have a lift in my garage but have yet to put it up in the air (because I've been driving it!) but now I have a reason to take a peak.

So the new part should be in by Friday from Bowling Green, but I want to enjoy it this weekend and have setup to drop it off again on Monday.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:14 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

"So the new part should be in by Friday from Bowling Green, ..."

what new part will be in? I thought they didn't identify anything yet to replace. are they going to start replacing parts?
Old 04-11-2012, 12:46 AM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 01VETTECOP
Did u check the muffler bearings ?
That's an easy fix. http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...products_id=48
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jay E

Old 04-11-2012, 06:47 AM
localhrox
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indeed! Love it.

Is that Coughlin Chevy? If so that is where i bought mine too. Congrats on a beautiful GS!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by AORoads
"So the new part should be in by Friday from Bowling Green, ..."

what new part will be in? I thought they didn't identify anything yet to replace. are they going to start replacing parts?
Yes, the X pipe from the exhaust....
Old 04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by localhrox
Is that Coughlin Chevy? If so that is where i bought mine too. Congrats on a beautiful GS!
It is indeed! thanks! Even with the droning issue, I'm very happy with it overall....assuming we get it fixed.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

How is that an easy solution?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:43 AM
kmthor00
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BobBass
Where is it legal to go >70 mph in IL?
While not legal, we have many highways that have a posted limit of 65 mph so 72 is speeding but unlikely you'll get pulled over
Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kmthor00
While not legal, we have many highways that have a posted limit of 65 mph so 72 is speeding but unlikely you'll get pulled over
I do have a lead foot, but i dont race or anything stupid like that. I've never gotten a speeding ticket in my sports cars (knock on wood). Ironically I've only gotten speeding tickets in my wife's cars...once a few years I got hit by a lame speed trap in Indiana...and then another 1 hr later in Ohio. So pissed.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:06 PM
masihman
Pro

So if it's an exhaust issue shouldn't it make the noise without the car actually moving? Just keep it in neutral and rev it up to the RPM where it makes noise. If you hear it then I'd assume it's the exhaust. if I take my car out tomorrow I'll try that out. I'm not so sure that's what it is, I'm thinking rear differential or transmission. But, if they're saying nothing changed there, then maybe it really is the exhaust.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:31 PM
98vettered
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I really do hope that the new X pipe fixes your problem.
But I do have serious doubts that will do the job.
I'm afraid that the only way to eliminate the drone would be to go to a set of stock mufflers. Or disable the NPP exhaust so they would never open up.
My GS was built with just stock mufflers. Quiet as a stock car could ever be.
So I put on a set of Corsa Xtremes. And she drones right in the 1500 RPM area. But only when your on the gas.
The way I work with that is to attempt to either keep it below or above that rpm range as much as possible.
Keep us posted dlinderman.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:39 PM
Big Jay E
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

How is that an easy solution?
If your muffler bearings go out, you don't need to buy a whole new muffler. You can just bet the new bearings and change them out yourself
Old 04-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

If your muffler bearings go out, you don't need to buy a whole new muffler. You can just bet the new bearings and change them out yourself
Good to know. I'll let my warranty take care of it for now...

Get notified of new replies

To Low "Drone" noise on new GS. Ideas?

Old 04-12-2012, 10:45 AM
masihman
Pro

Seriously guys, enough with the muffler bearings. This joke is old and stale. Can we focus on the issue at hand. I for one feel his pain as I have this noise as well. I don't think it's specific to NPP as this has nothing to do with the flaps opening since it occurs at such a low rpm.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:21 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by masihman
Seriously guys, enough with the muffler bearings. This joke is old and stale. Can we focus on the issue at hand. I for one feel his pain as I have this noise as well. I don't think it's specific to NPP as this has nothing to do with the flaps opening since it occurs at such a low rpm.
What? You're not buying the muffler bearings thing?

My tech did agree, this is not an NPP exhaust thing...the thing I have considered while waiting for the new X pipe exhaust, is are they replacing it with the same problematic part or going back to a 2011 piece?

After their 7th year making the C6, this raises some eyebrows for me even considering the first few years of the C7. Though I did buy a 2005, and had zero problems with it.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:50 PM
ohfiver
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you tried masihman's suggestion? Your car is great looking hope all works out well!

Quick Reply: Low "Drone" noise on new GS. Ideas?