C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Repainted my GS badges (and a little how-to)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 11:27 PM
bluedevil99
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Repainted my GS badges (and a little how-to)

Ok here goes - a bit of instruction on changing out and painting your badges. Please note that anything shown/said here is to be done at your own risk! Also, I apologize for the lack of pictures I was running out of daylight and just snapped a few. This is something even the most average shade tree mechanic can pull off, you just need to know where everything goes.

First you need to remove the splash guard inner fender portion. There are 3 push-lock plastic holders the achieve this function on the inside, you need to either use the special tool or a small flathead and pliers to pull out the center piece, then pull out the whole assembly.

The bottom also has 2 small bolts that can be removed quickly with a ratchet. The last piece (which I do not have a picture of) is a small piece of plastic that bridges the underside of the car with the fender piece. I did not remove this on the driver side, but I found it necessary to do so on the passenger side to flex out the bodywork due to the dry sump.

Last but not least, the plastic is held to the fender with 2 metal clips per tab that should pull through the openings. Be careful here as I found some of them needed to be manually compressed to slip through as they were flexing the fiberglass.

Here is the drivers side fender piece popped down:

Next you need to remove the nuts from the bolts attached to the back of the badges. If you have not invested in a set of ratcheting socket wrenches now is a great time!

I was worried after hearing everyone talk about how their hands didnt fit well - and I have awful big hands. I found mechanics gloves work great for protecting your hands here. You need to pop your hand behind the gill cover with your wrench and loosen/remove each of the nuts. In my case I found the wrench only needed to move the nuts about a quarter turn and they could be spun off easily with my fingers.

When reaching behind the gill covers it's a bit easier to use both hands to separate the cover a bit from the bodywork and allow your hand to slide through initially. It will save you some pain. Here are the gill covers on either side:

Note that on the dry sump side (only applicable to MN6 cars) because there was so little space it helped to completely remove the fender piece allowing the bodywork to flex out a couple inches - that freed up plenty of space for my big hands without damaging anything.

In case any of you were wondering what the car looked like without badges....

At this point you have the option to replace or repaint - I opted to repaint. One big note is that when repainting chrome I strongly suggest you either sand down to the plastic underneath, really scuff it well, or simply order some new black (non-chrome) badges and start with those. I started by scuffing thoroughly with 120 grit sandpaper:

In hindsight, this probably was not enough as I had some issues with adhesion later. I sprayed over with one of my all-time favorite paints - Duplicolor sandable primer. It creates one of the nicest starting surfaces I've ever worked with from a can:

At this point should all go well, you have a whole variety of options. Some may opt to brush in, my preference was to airbrush in the letters in white, then airbrush a custom color combo using some candy inks and semi-opaque blues. The match turned out to be pretty close (without the metallic flake.)

This is the first iteration (then I had problems with the paint lifting with some tape messing up the rear badge.) The second attempt worked out better. After they were painted up I wanted to keep the matte/satin look so I finished with a satin polyurethane. We will see how it holds up to the elements, you can obviously choose whatever paint/finish floats your boat.

Putting them back on simply consists of buttoning back up in reverse order that you took everything off, pretty simple. Make sure if you painted the threads are clean (enough) on the badge bolts. On the car:

Last edited by bluedevil99; 04-02-2012 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Updated how-to
Old 03-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Never-Enough
Le Mans Master

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Looks good
Old 03-27-2012, 11:38 PM
F65MPH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice. Gonna clear coat it?
Old 03-27-2012, 11:44 PM
bluedevil99
Drifting

Originally Posted by F65MPH
Nice. Gonna clear coat it?
I'm actually coating them with a satin polyurethane, I wanted to keep the matte black look to match my wheels. In case anyone was wondering what it would look like sans coloring... (and I strongly considered putting them on like this..)

Also I discovered if 'brushed aluminum' is your thing, that can pretty easily be accomplished with a little sandpaper on the chrome - you can see the untouched chrome badge in the rear.

Up close and personal you can see the "brushed" effect (which I did inadvertantly, if I was being careful it would look better.)

Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 PM
teenVette
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product
Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by teenVette
Looks good. Can't wait to see the finished product
I like what. You are doing, be nice to see them on your Vett
Old 03-28-2012, 12:24 AM
studiovette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

How did you paint the letters? Did you tape the badges up or just careful with a tiny art brush?
Old 03-28-2012, 12:49 AM
bluedevil99
Drifting

Originally Posted by studiovette
How did you paint the letters? Did you tape the badges up or just careful with a tiny art brush?
I started by trying the brush but that lead to a very patchy, lumpy, and difficult to work with result - so I grabbed my airbrush equipment. The flat black you see there is a primer/sealer that is extremely resilient, so I wet the surface down with water (making sure the lettering stayed dry) and sprayed the letters with water-based white paint. Immediately after spraying I wiped across the surface with a wet paper towl and that removed everything above the grooves.

To get the blue I just mixed some semi-opaque and candy ink blues and repeated the same process. It's not without its drawbacks, but is FAR easier than most options.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:58 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 226 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

That will look sharp on the car.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:20 AM
designerRob
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool. I'm looking forward to seeing them on the car.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:28 AM
jimmie jam
Le Mans Master

Received 559 Likes on 340 Posts

Nice!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:57 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,931 Likes on 4,811 Posts

Looking Good.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:40 AM
su8pack1
Team Owner

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Old 03-28-2012, 12:56 PM
bluedevil99
Drifting

With the lighting I had and the lettering so small it was hard to capture an accurate picture of how they look, but it turned out pretty well! Couple shots of the car with them on:

Last edited by bluedevil99; 03-28-2012 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:04 PM
SilverScorp
Safety Car

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Excellent job!!! Those are Beautiful
Old 03-28-2012, 01:07 PM
SanDiegoBert
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Really nice . . . A major improvement over the blingy stock chrome doodads. Good job!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:09 PM
bluedevil99
Drifting

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Really nice . . . A major improvement over the blingy stock chrome doodads. Good job!
Yes I am slowly eliminating chrome from my vehicle.. (not that I don't like chrome mind you, I just prefer black!) Have F/R carbon fiber emblems with JSB coming sometime next week from APSIS hopefully, then the whole car gets a spa treatment and a tint!

Only thing left to do is paint the chiclets

Last edited by bluedevil99; 03-28-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Repainted my GS badges (and a little how-to)

Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Huge improvement!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice work. Looks great!!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:42 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

How'd you remove 'em and replace 'em without pulling the fenders and the inner "gill cover"?

Quick Reply: Repainted my GS badges (and a little how-to)