C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport--Dry Sump Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 02:48 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

GM offered the Z51 for those that wanted to track their C6 from 2005 through 2009. Then GM offered the Grand Sport which is the Z51 option, but on steroids. If those that tracked their Z51, then they will most likely also track their Grand Sport. The dry sump engine is just part of the package that makes the Grand Sport track worthy.

Sure, not everyone will track their Grand Sport, but neither do all the owners of Z06's and ZR1's.

Nice thing is that if you don't want a particular option on your car, then don't check that box. But those that do want a particular option, they can check the box and get it.

Funny how life works.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:28 PM
jc9767
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Nice thing is that if you don't want a particular option on your car, then don't check that box. But those that do want a particular option, they can check the box and get it.

Funny how life works.
Stop with the common sense. Everyone knows that their car is the only way you should buy a Corvette. If you bought X option that was stupid because you will never use it and it is overpriced, if you did not buy Y option then you are stupid because everyone needs that and no one should buy a Corvette without it.

Bottom line, buy a Corvette with Y option, not X option. Like I did. Everything else is wrong.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:11 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by OregonC6

The primary purpose of the dry sump system ( IMO ) on the GS is to make it appear more like the Z06. Given the reliability of the LS7 that should be the last thing any GS owner would want.

So why are they using the LS7 in the new 427 Convertible?
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06LUST
which means.............nothing...............
Not better, no extra HP...just marketing hype plus GM needed work for the niche line.
Coming from a mechanical background.(ASE certified) I'm impressed by the fact America still actually puts things together buy hand in a manufacturing process.Im curious if it's Ferrari hype also.Love the fact that my LS7 is hand assembled by the fine UAW technicians of wixum.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:40 AM
Nice Ride
Drifting

Received 155 Likes on 115 Posts

OregonC6+1. One thing we can agree on is everyone has an opinion. I am on Corvette No 4 and based on my experience the less complicated and simpler I keep my Corvette the less problems I have. I think oil sump is a very sweet option to have but the key word is option. There are a number of post about problems just getting the oil changed with the oil sump system. Not with the system just the idiots doing the work. To each his on.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:44 AM
STINGREYES
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EDinPA
Yes.
maybe from some of the previous replies, you can read as to who doesn't have the Dry Sump system. It is standard on GS coupe 6sp.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 AM
ospreycorvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You also get the forged crank on the hand built only.

I would rather have a person push my pistons in the block as opposed to the machine pushing them in. Hand built also gives more attention to the rotating friction that the production built engines.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
ospreycorvette
Pro

All the best super cars in the world have dry sump.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 AM
rjwoerheide
Drifting

Old 03-21-2012, 10:25 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

Is it that difficult to change the oil on these ????
Old 03-21-2012, 10:29 AM
SnakeBT6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

No but its more expensive..LOL
Old 03-21-2012, 10:46 AM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

changing the oil on my c6 is simple, just getting it off the ground is the work
Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That settles it. I'm having a Dry Sump badge made for my GS.

Seriously, there's no shortage of instances spoken of on this forum of C6's blowing it up on the track due to oil starvation. Dry Sump is your friend if you track it.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
ravill
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, and after reading a lot of posts on the subject I've concluded that at least 95% and perhaps more of these "hand built" manual trans GSs will not be driven in a manner ( on tracks ) that require this oiling system.

The dry sump adds complexity ( not a good thing unless there is a reason for it ) and weight.

The primary purpose of the dry sump system ( IMO ) on the GS is to make it appear more like the Z06. Given the reliability of the LS7 that should be the last thing any GS owner would want.

The dry sump system is all about bragging rights about something you don't really need anyway. Or perhaps I missed something........

It's a solution for a nonexistent problem for most owners of the manual GS.

As for "hand built" this also is all marketing hype. As anyone knows who has looked into it even superficially the so-called hand built engines are assembled mostly by one person vs , apparently, more than one person in the normal manner.

However, it's clear that all parts are right out of the bin the same parts used for the non hand built engines. None of the parts are weighed, matched, balanced, or undergo additional inspection.

All the engines are "hand built". You thing maybe the special LS3s get more personal attention get a load of the torquing fixture that tightens and confirms all the bolts on the head in one operation. Probably the same fixture they use on the non-hand built engines.

It's all marketing and it's been brilliant. They have , without ever saying it, convinced thousands of buyers that they are essentially getting a balanced and blueprinted custom engine when the fact is they are not. It makes the same power and it has the same reliability (unless someone can point to reliable statistics that suggest otherwise ).

You pay more money for a hand built engine and you are not paying for higher performance or reliability you are paying for bragging rights to something that really doesn't matter at all.

just my opinion, I cannot believe so many people put so much credence in this entire hand built thing....that is what is amazing.
Jealousy is a nasty thing.

Yup, only manual GS coupes have them. That means the convertible GS's don't. They have the paper mache cranks.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 PM
01VETTECOP
Safety Car

Verts and Automatics do nat have them
Old 03-21-2012, 04:57 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

....the dry sump system is all about bragging rights about something you don't really need anyway. Or perhaps I missed something........
yes, you definitely missed something
Old 03-21-2012, 05:14 PM
Pitbull11
Racer

Originally Posted by KneeDragr
Just because a hand built engine does not produce more horsepower, that does not mean it does not have advantages.

If you did some research you would find that you are incorrect, there are advantages to having it built by one person, but I guess are the type of person that when they hear something they want to believe, they spread it like gospel whether its true or not.
just as many reasons too not having one person build the engine. I've owned a couple of Mercedes AMG vehicles. Mine were great but many complain of problems and oil useage? It would be better to have it built by a robot. robots don't drink to much and fight with their wives the night before they build your engine.

Last edited by Pitbull11; 03-21-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport--Dry Sump Question

Old 03-22-2012, 07:23 AM
JMcDon1007
Instructor

Default Location of Engine Builder on GS Engine?

Can someone tell me where on the engine I can find the name of the person who built my engine? Before someone asks, I have a 2011 GS 6M.

Thanks.

-John
Old 03-22-2012, 09:05 AM
PittMD1
Drifting

Originally Posted by JMcDon1007
Can someone tell me where on the engine I can find the name of the person who built my engine? Before someone asks, I have a 2011 GS 6M.

Thanks.

-John
John,
this is from a previous thread on the topic.

"Each engine has a builder ID tag on the front surface of the intake manifold (IAFM), on the RH side."
Old 03-22-2012, 09:13 AM
TScottTX
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JMcDon1007
Check out http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...mp-engine.html

Quick Reply: Grand Sport--Dry Sump Question