C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring Results

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 11:05 PM
vettenutchas
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Sebring Results

Results from 12 Hr Sebring Race.
Winner--BMW
Second--Corvette
Third--Ferrari
Forth--Corvette
Very Good Showing for Corvette!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Still not winning though.That sucks.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:12 PM
vettenutchas
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Sebring Results

Second place Corvette only 6.43 seconds behind winner, not that bad for a 12 hr race.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:24 PM
JLinCA
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah but the thing is, the BMW came from behind the Vette, which was leading for a good part of the race. And if I am remembering correctly, the BMW didn't change tires during their last stop, while the Vette did. The Vette could have been a whole lot further behind if it wasn't for that.

Unfortunately, after all the offseason tweaks, the Corvette still doesn't have what it takes to win the race.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 AM
bigblock427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,355 Likes on 1,062 Posts

I can't believe I missed the race. I have been looking forward to the race for quite awhile. I worked 13 hours yesterday for a total of 85 hours this week I completely forgot about the race. But it is on ABC this afternoon.

I think the Corvette Racing team will win more than its share of races this year. But I bet this is one they thought they would win.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I was busy yesterday too but I did watch the Formula 1 qualifying which I recorded (F1 is the only auto racing I watch religiously). It won't be a cliffhanger now knowing the results but I'll watch the Sebring highlights being repeated today. FWIW it's on at 9AM Mountain Time.

FWIW many people record programs to watch later. If you're posting the race results label the thread with a "SPOILER ALERT."
Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 AM
Grant Elis
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I listened to a bunch of it on alms radio. It was very exciting. A couple of times during the race the Corvettes were 1 and 2. Thought they were going to win. They both passed cars on the last lap to move up.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:39 PM
Telepierre
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,166 Likes on 1,253 Posts

Reads as a close race and with faster times than last year so the cars have improved and are faster. Good start!
Old 03-18-2012, 01:56 PM
Mr. Lau
Pro

Corvette Racing lists us at 2nd and 4th, but describe the finish with us in 2nd and 3rd. The photo they provided also have us on 2nd and 3rd on the podium....
Old 03-18-2012, 02:28 PM
TCW
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 245 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-13,'16-'17, '19

Originally Posted by vettenutchas
Second place Corvette only 6.43 seconds behind winner, not that bad for a 12 hr race.
As the late Dale Earnhart used to say, "2nd place is 1st loser".

Tom
Old 03-18-2012, 04:06 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=JLinNY;1580307805]Yeah but the thing is, the BMW came from behind the Vette, which was leading for a good part of the race. And if I am remembering correctly, the BMW didn't change tires during their last stop, while the Vette did. The Vette could have been a whole lot further behind if it wasn't for that.

The BMW gambled on tires and caught a few brakes to win. Happens in NASCAR quite often. The Vettes were very competitive. Later! Frank
Old 03-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default 2nd and 3rd for ALMS season points

Originally Posted by Mr. Lau
Corvette Racing lists us at 2nd and 4th, but describe the finish with us in 2nd and 3rd. The photo they provided also have us on 2nd and 3rd on the podium....
The 3rd place Ferrari was a European factory effort and those points will not count for AMLS so while it is kinda weak, Corvette Racing did get 2nd and third.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:37 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

pit strategy was the difference.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:39 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Vettes will do well this season

Originally Posted by JLinNY
Yeah but the thing is, the BMW came from behind the Vette, which was leading for a good part of the race. And if I am remembering correctly, the BMW didn't change tires during their last stop, while the Vette did. The Vette could have been a whole lot further behind if it wasn't for that.

Unfortunately, after all the offseason tweaks, the Corvette still doesn't have what it takes to win the race.
Please keep in mind that this entire series is supposed to keep the cars close. The BMWs are by far the farthest from stock of any of the cars racing. They are allowed to move the transmission from where it is on the stock M3. Kinda ********. Can you imagine where the Vettes would be if they let them just run the LS7 engine from a stock Z06. No contest!
Even with a 5.5 liter engine, I bet that we are in the running for the title. I go to at least 3 races a year and take this more seriously than I should! Every test done by any magazine shows that the stock Z06 beats any M3 by a wide margin. Even the 458 is beaten by the Z06.

Last edited by Crossofiron; 03-18-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:10 PM
Road Rage
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still want to know how a driver gets in, starts to take off in REVERSE from the pit stall, realizes it and gets out in front of the BMW anyway. Then proceed to just lollygag for the next few hundred yards while the BMW just drives around him and off into the night.

And the whole WEC scoring was confusing. A car that's running 1st is actually NOT first because of different scoring. That made the whole position indicator light system on the sides to be useless most of the night.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:15 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Rage
I still want to know how a driver gets in, starts to take off in REVERSE from the pit stall, realizes it and gets out in front of the BMW anyway. Then proceed to just lollygag for the next few hundred yards while the BMW just drives around him and off into the night.
thought that was odd too. just slowed and let him by...almost as if it were on purpose. maybe he was going too fast out of the pits and this concession kept them from having to do a stop & go...don't know.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:25 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

And the whole WEC scoring was confusing. A car that's running 1st is actually NOT first because of different scoring. That made the whole position indicator light system on the sides to be useless most of the night.
This is the best post on this subject in my humble opinion. I was at the race. Still in Sebring. Believe me it was a bad loss for the Corvette Racing Team. The entire race it was obvious that the Ferarris and BMW's could and did post better lap times. The pit stops became embarrassing. Yes it was close but this was a race Corvette should have and could have won. The same cannot be said for some of the more challenging races coming up that clearly will favor the Euros.

I tried to read up on all the scoring and sundry changes but still found it incredibly hard to understand and follow. The radio broadcast was almost indecipherable what with the accents and "stories" being told. Johnny O was his usual wonderful self but couldn't salvage a broadcast that is clearly not meant for American ears.

Jeeze I love road racing but ALMS needs to copy, beg, borrow, or steal some of the user/viewer friendly things nascar uses. In a sport dominated by left turns nascar still beats ALMS with excitement and that is too bad.

Get notified of new replies

To Sebring Results

Old 03-18-2012, 06:08 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

This is the best post on this subject in my humble opinion. I was at the race. Still in Sebring. Believe me it was a bad loss for the Corvette Racing Team. The entire race it was obvious that the Ferarris and BMW's could and did post better lap times. The pit stops became embarrassing. Yes it was close but this was a race Corvette should have and could have won. The same cannot be said for some of the more challenging races coming up that clearly will favor the Euros.

I tried to read up on all the scoring and sundry changes but still found it incredibly hard to understand and follow. The radio broadcast was almost indecipherable what with the accents and "stories" being told. Johnny O was his usual wonderful self but couldn't salvage a broadcast that is clearly not meant for American ears.

Jeeze I love road racing but ALMS needs to copy, beg, borrow, or steal some of the user/viewer friendly things nascar uses. In a sport dominated by left turns nascar still beats ALMS with excitement and that is too bad.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

ALMS pit stops always have an amateurish look to me...compared to NASCAR and INDY.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Mr. Lau
Pro

Originally Posted by cclive
ALMS pit stops always have an amateurish look to me...compared to NASCAR and INDY.
From what I know, the pit rules are way different. The restrictions on the ALMS teams are probably tougher than those for NASCAR and Indy, which is why they seem "amateurish". I fully trust the Corvette Team though; they've been doing it for a long time, they know their stuff.

Quick Reply: Sebring Results