C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to buy a corvette but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 08:08 PM
djmano
Instructor

Location: Intersection of Eau Rogue, Flugplatz and Loews Hairpin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichMattB
You couldn't be more wrong when painting BMW/Merc people with that broad brush. I have an 2011 e90 M3 which cost a whole lot more than my C6. I didn't buy it because I like the image of driving a BMW 3-series! A 3-series is really nothing impressive.

I bought the M3 because it is a real serious performance machine. You are right about people buying Vettes for fun though. That's why I bought mine and I love it.

Please try to separate "BMW" and "Benz" people from "M Car" and "AMG car" people. The M3 forums are full of people who love high performance cars, work on them, and are always looking to improve them. There are only a few people who carry the stereotypical "BMWs are the greatest and everything else is junk" attitude.
like i said i didnt mean to stereotype and put all DTM dudes in one category.

before i bought the vette i really wanted a C63 AMG w/ P51 but it was way too expensive. the deciding factor was when i think i saw that the front rotors cost $900 and GS rotors costs like $90.
Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by LMB-Z
It doesn't appear to have the Z51 option...look in the glove compartment for the code "G90"...that would mean it has the 3:15 rear end. My guess is it has the 2:73 which would not give it much low end if it doesn't feel fast.
It should. It uses the 3.06 1st gear so its not as wimpy as the old school boys would think it is. If a stock (my car) 2000 Z28 with 2.73s can run 13.5@104 on bald tires a car that is 300 lbs lighter (my car was 3525 with 1/4 tank of gas), has wider tires, and a lot more power should feel plenty quick.

My guess is that he was in a dead spot of the tranny and it wouldnt down shift to a lower gear.

I am betting it is only between .2-.3 seconds going from 2.73 to 3.15 and that is at the most.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:05 PM
Iron Texan
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For what it is worth, I have an LS3 M6 and to be honest, coming from my 04 Cobra, it too feels slow. I blame that on the fact that the Cobra has a 100+ horsepower on it, and a massive torque curve, and the Vette has terrible throttle response compared to it.

That said the Corvette is an excellent platform for modifying (light weight, uncompromised), and from what I have seen, regardless of feel, side by side the Vette should still give the Snake a run for it's money.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM
mgoug
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple considerations:

1.) Buy private party because in general you will get more for your $$ and much more history to base a decision on.

2.) In order to make a fair cost comparison evaluate repair/frustration costs for a BMW and a Corvette with equal mileage (including shipping time needed for those special parts to come from Germany).

3.) Confirm that the tires are not bald. They're expensive!
Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM
TLS_Addict
Team Owner

Received 677 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron Texan
For what it is worth, I have an LS3 M6 and to be honest, coming from my 04 Cobra, it too feels slow. I blame that on the fact that the Cobra has a 100+ horsepower on it, and a massive torque curve, and the Vette has terrible throttle response compared to it.

That said the Corvette is an excellent platform for modifying (light weight, uncompromised), and from what I have seen, regardless of feel, side by side the Vette should still give the Snake a run for it's money.
You get a tune on that LS3 yet?

If I had my way I would convert that bitch to a cable TB.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:55 PM
DSOMC6
Le Mans Master

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by prostalker89
Hi, im planning to buy a 2005 corvette c6, i saw 1 on cars .com for 23k with 75k on it, i went to the dealership to test drive it. Compared to my bmw m3 it seemed slow to me (the vette is auto) =/ or is my imagination? is it a good deal? the motor looked clean to me. I need ur recommedations, should i buy it or not? thank you.
Your comparing an M3 to a C6 and think the C6 feels slow? Really?
That's funny because my 4000lb bone stock older model Q45 can outrun an M3.

Originally Posted by Iron Texan

You are comparing a Cobra (with a SC) to a NA stock C6.
Perhaps if you drive/ride-in a C6 with FI you will change your opinion on which car feels slow...by a wide margin.

Last edited by DSOMC6; 03-19-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:16 PM
jasmin360
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a a6 ls3 with 2.76 rear gears and the bmw m3 with the 4.0 liter v8 cant touch me nor the 5.0 liter lexus isf and even c63 amg with a 6.2 liter v8. as for the 6.0 liter ls2 you could do minor mods and out run your m3 easily. with 75.000 miles the engines barely broken in and even if it is high mileage the price of something breaking on the vette is whole lot less expensive then the bmw which i have lots of experience repairing. customers never understand why there bmws cost so much i simply tell them that buying a bmw is easy paying for it afterwards is a different story. so if you consider all things the corvette gives you boat loads of style a lot of accessibilty for extra reliable power and low service cost its a easy decision

Quick Reply: About to buy a corvette but...