C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport Tire Question - Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:41 PM
shelleygraham
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3rdWish
I don't live nor go near construction or "bad" areas At least not intentionally. Sometimes there's roadside construction where you least expect it.

Point is I wasn't near construction or a bad areas when I got the screw in my tire. Personally I'll give up a little ride and maybe handling even though I can't imagine it's a whole lot different, for peace of mind of a run flat. Nobody ever expects a flat tire to occur. Just my opinion.
Thank you and I agree 100 % . I am a woman who drives alone a lot and I really like the piece of mind and no aggravation having a run flat. It happened to me at 500 miles on my car. I really was glad for not dealing with the bs and hassales. My bridgestones were wonderful ! Was just wondering ? Thanks again .
Old 03-18-2012, 11:42 PM
djmano
Instructor

Location: Intersection of Eau Rogue, Flugplatz and Loews Hairpin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shelleygraham
Oh my God with all his money that is a BIG JOKE !!! Like he really needs to do a Toyota commercial . Take the vette ! He earned it !!! Give it to his wife or charity !!! No ??? He can buy us all tires !
i cant imagine any of the mannings driving an LFA....maybe a vette. i notice most pro athletes arent really into exotics/sports cars, im pretty sure AMG model mercedes is the #1 vehicle among them.

i totally understand the thing about the runflats, my mother is the same way.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:01 PM
scott53
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just found this thread. I have 4000 miles on my 2010 GS and the centers are at 3/32, the rears are at 5/32 across with uniform wear. I check my tire pressure once a week with a Longacre tire gauge and have always held 30 pounds...until I noticed the center wear, then I driopped it down a bit. I'm having no success with my dealer and Chevrolet. I'm thinking I should contact Goodyear directly. If this is the best that GY can do they will lose me as a customer.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 PM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Same thing happened to us at about the same mileage! Terrible tires, and Corvette alignments are rarely good. Don't mix the tires, get an alignment that takes out as much negative camber in the front as possible! Good luck. By the way, the second set of Goodyears on the front of our GS lasted for about the same miles. Michelins on now!
Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 PM
scott53
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carpe dm
Same thing happened to us at about the same mileage! Terrible tires, and Corvette alignments are rarely good. Don't mix the tires, get an alignment that takes out as much negative camber in the front as possible! Good luck. By the way, the second set of Goodyears on the front of our GS lasted for about the same miles. Michelins on now!
I was at the dealer today and it looks like I'm going to get some sort of resolution on two replacement GY front tires. I fully expect to have the same results as you experienced on the second set. When either the fronts or rears wear out I am switching to four Michelins, with a proper alignment of course. I did that on my '98 and liked the Michelins far more than the GYs.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 AM
CofSD
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Kwagnerhvac
Definitely not that, I am obsessed about 30 PSI in all tires. Constantly letting air in/out as outdoor temperatures change.
Try Nitrogen in those tires. The pressure will stabilize and not vary often.
Costco will do the change for free.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by CofSD
Try Nitrogen in those tires. The pressure will stabilize and not vary often.
Pure nitrogen (the air you breathe already has 78% of it) is a waste or money and effort for most cars. Tires will still lose air every month, and also lose pressure with colder temperatures... although not as much. Having to use nitrogen every time you want to top them off is a major inconvenience for most. But dealers love to tack on $20 to $30 to unsuspecting new car buyers. Plus to really have pure nitrogen, you'd have to purge all air from the tires with vacuum first... which is never the case.

Pure nitrogen only makes sense in airplanes, where tires can see -40ºF to 100ºF+ on the same day. And maybe for truck drivers, due to traveling cross-country, but I doubt many use it. Just check your tire pressures often, and you should be fine. Consider topping them off with a manual bicycle pump your daily exercise .
Old 01-07-2013, 10:15 AM
carpe dm
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelinmech
Do some searches here on the Forum - there are service bulletins out to dealers on this issue. You should be able to get both fronts replaced at no charge.

Mixing different tires is never a good idea - sometimes dangerous. But you would be well advised to stay away from the Goodyear run-flats just so you can match your rear tires. Get GM to replace both fronts and pony up to replace the rears - you will be ecstatic with the results. OH, and also Search the Forum for Alignment specs and get that done to the specs you will find here. The combo of the different tires and new alignment specs will make your car ride and handle like never before.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 AM
CofSD
8th Gear

Your statement and assumption may be true.

However, I have used Nitrogen in all of my Corvettes (1963, 2004, 2013, 2009 Pontiac G8 GT and 1986 Chevrolet El Camino SS) with perfect performance. All my cars run Michilens and I have never had to add any additional Nitrogen in them.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Supersonic 427
Le Mans Master

Received 1,649 Likes on 817 Posts

In Nov of '11, I took my 900 mile 3 week old '11 GS Coupe to the dealer for a torn axle boot. They measured all 4 tires at 6/32nds. Says that was normal! 2/32nds off the tread is normal for 900 easy miles? So, that and all the various horror threads I've read about GS tire wear with the GY's, is one of the reasons for going to a base Coupe as a DD. No way am I going to spend 2 grand + on tires yearly.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
gsflyer2011
Drifting

Received 269 Likes on 198 Posts

Here is something for you to all consider.

Depends on where and how you are driving. I live in a city, lot of corners and stop lights. I usually choose my routes with most right turns at lights (that way you do not have wait for the light to turn green, you can go on red) and that wears my left front (driver side) faster than my right one. That happens both with my Vette and Volvo. Also we sit on the left front, that is bound to effect the weight and the alignment, unless you want to corner weigh the car after you sit in it while they are aligning it. I guess if your travels take you through about equal corners both left and right, than they should wear equally.

It is a theory of mine anyhow. Like the OP, I am also OCD about my tire presures and aligment. (also live in seal level so my TPM and expensive gauge concur)
Old 01-07-2013, 01:59 PM
dezcapt51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

This is really wierd!!!! I was waiting for a dealer quote on a 11 gs coupe with 5k miles while reading this thread about excessive tire wear.
I get the quote and talk to the owner of the dealership. He is selling the car for his brother. Then he tells me the car is eating tires but has never been wrecked or abused. The car was aligned and still wore the tires out way too soon. I gave him the info from the forum,being a small town dealer, he was not aware of this issue. He stated he would not sell the car until the tire issue was resolved. I might reconsider replacing my dd coupe with a tire eating gs.

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Tire Question - Please help