C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on New Gs, need some opinions..

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 11:40 AM
o2z51
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default opinions on New Gs, need some opinions..

Contemplating a Grandsport, and needed some opinions. Other than the 6spd what must options do i need?? I wanted chrome wheels and Nav, But Im hearing the stock radio stinks?? Am I better off getting no nav and adding an aftermarket myself?? what do you guys think??
Old 03-15-2012, 11:51 AM
michaelinmech
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The quality of both the Nav and Radio systems are debated quite thoroughly on various Threads herein. You can do some Searches.

There is no universal answer. I think it's more a matter of hassle than anything - meaning many don't wan to bother with all the dealings of going aftermarket so they accept the marginal OE quality. Others who don't mind the dealings of going with aftermarket certainly get far better systems for both.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:11 PM
Nick996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2011 GS and mine has everything but the NAV and NPP.

Knowing what I know now, I would have ordered the NPP.

The BOSE stereo is crap but comes with the 3LT if I remember right? No highs, no lows, must be BOSE!!

I'm not a fan of chrome so that is a personal choice. The 6spd is nice and will get you the dry sump.

I like the colored headlamp backs as another personal choice.... they come in various colors. Worth the $$ IMO.

Here's mine....

Last edited by Nick996; 03-15-2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:23 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The radio is not the greatest... actually, I think it's more the speakers that are crap, I'm been in a Vette that upgraded the speakers only and it was night and day... it doesn't bother me that much bc it's fine for me, but I can see why people don't like the factory radio...

anyway, why not give it a test drive and listen for yourself? if you're a sound affectionado, you'll probably not be crazy about it, but if you're an average shmo, it might be good enuf'...
Old 03-15-2012, 12:55 PM
RO55
Drifting

I like the 6 speed, Chrome wheels, NAV, dual mode exhaust, & Heritage Package.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Why is it everyone always asks, "what do I need" instead of saying "this is what I want to do with my . . ."?
Old 03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by o2z51
Contemplating a Grandsport, and needed some opinions. Other than the 6spd what must options do i need?? I wanted chrome wheels and Nav, But Im hearing the stock radio stinks?? Am I better off getting no nav and adding an aftermarket myself?? what do you guys think??
tough to answer, really depends on what is important for you...if you are a audio/nav junkie, or like high quality in that area, none of the options will satisfy you they are marginal at best as many on here will tell you.

if you want chrome wheels, then get a GS that has that package. You have a choice from 1LT option up to 4LT, and each package offers different stuff.

CorvetteActionCenter website has a lot of info on what is included in each package. Corvette's strong point is performance , bang for buck... not really known for high end stereo and interior etc..
Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 PM
plmkrzy
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

First, color makes a difference. I have Supersonic Blue, chrome wheels, Dual mode exhaust (with Mild to Wild), Glass top, automatic, 3LT (includes Nav), embroidered headrest (Corvette flags) and Battery protection. Everything I need.

Also, all Corvettes come with "Permagrin"! You'll see.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:03 PM
SnakeBT6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive got an 011 GS 6sp black with black and red interior and the dark grey wheels. Ive got the clear roof, 3LT, NAV and NPP with Mild to Wild..I pretty much threw away the switch for it. LOL

The stereo is ok for me..not the best or the worst..gets the job done and Im happy with it for my needs.

Its been my dream to own a car like this and I finally do at 41 years old, and I love it!

Its awesome..I am going to upgrade to a 2012 steering wheel I think, as I like the look of it. Its not a DD..more of a weekender and a road trip car.

I do wish for the winter it had a heated steering wheel..I would have never thought much about that but my wife has a Range Rover with one and its something I wish the Corvette had.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:10 PM
JohnAE455
Racer

If I was going to order a new GS I would get the manual, and 2LT package only. Can add anything else for less then GM and look just as good. They could also be added after it's paid for. Could not care less what radio it has. Because of all the road noise over 50 mph I can't hear the radio anyway unless I turn up the sound to the point it just irritates. I came very close to buying a TR, base convertible, 1Lt, NPP, and upgraded disk brakes. Only problem was it had an auto.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:18 PM
QUAKEJAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

I could be considered technology inept but ,even I've, replaced my decade old designed Nav./XM unit in favor of my smart phone Google based Nav app. and Pandora music. Hope the C7 has this as a standard head unit.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:27 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by B y r o n
Why is it everyone always asks, "what do I need" instead of saying "this is what I want to do with my . . ."?
Order it how you want and in your budget, that is how we ordered ours in 2008, my only regret was not getting NPP, I cured that with an entire exhaust off a 2011 ZR1
Old 03-15-2012, 03:32 PM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Got my 2010 with the 3lt package to get the hud and nicer seats (heated) The only option I wish I had ordered and didn't was the NPP. I wish I would have asked. My favorite option is the HUD.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:34 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 920 Likes on 356 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Old 03-15-2012, 03:50 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Both auto and manual are 6spd so not sure which way your leaning on that. For a toy/weekend car I think the manual is THE way to go. As a DD in heavy traffic it might get old.

Many have said that the stock radio (1LT package) is not as good as the upgraded system in the 2LT+ packages. My ears are not all that good. Took some back to back test drives and I thought the upgraded bose system was a little better than stock but nothing great.
I like the 2LT package that offers the NAV, HUD and Bluetooth as a starting point. From there I can tell you I like the NPP option. I have convinced myself that I had to have F55 MSRC on the GS I ordered.

Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:00 PM
teddym15
Advanced

Originally Posted by B y r o n
lol
Very good point there. you are very right. to bad it wont happen..
Old 03-15-2012, 04:06 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

I find my iPhone to be the best NAV system available. I agree on going with the 2LT. I like the standard audio just fine.

Get notified of new replies

To opinions on New Gs, need some opinions..

Old 03-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Wyndridge3
Drifting

Got mine off the lot for a great deal so I didn't have a choice. But if I was ordering new I would have skipped the audio and nav upgrade. IMHO you can do much better with the after market products.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 PM
o2z51
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the opinions, i didnt mean i dont know what options I want, Is the f55a better suspension?? or just more adjustable.?? I dont need soft thats why i went with my z51 on my 02. And the npp is the dual mode exhaust??
Old 03-15-2012, 06:01 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Thanks for the opinions, i didnt mean i dont know what options I want, Is the f55a better suspension?? or just more adjustable.?? I dont need soft thats why i went with my z51 on my 02. And the npp is the dual mode exhaust??
F55 is quicker reacting shocks and can be set in Touring or Sport modes that I know of. Some one will chim in with more time of them than just a test drive.

NPP is the dual mode exhaust.

If you are going with the manual have the dealer install a skip shift eliminator. I hate that first to forth crap. If you don't know what I am talking about take a test drive.

Quick Reply: opinions on New Gs, need some opinions..