C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't leave the key fob in the car for a week

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:05 PM
Z06 LOVER
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default Don't leave the key fob in the car for a week

My buddy could not find the fob under the seat. It was under power seat motor. The fob is constantly "talking" to car and the car is constantly answering. After one week, both batteries were dead. AAA was called to open door (rear key could not be found). Harness bar stopped us from crawling into back. Car battery was charged under the hood. This was the perfect storm for not keeping track of keys.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Z06 LOVER
The fob is constantly "talking" to car and the car is constantly answering.
NO! Didn't happen. Fob doesn't "talk" to the car unless you press a button on the fob, try to open the car door while you have the fob near the door, or try to push the button to open the rear hatch while the fob is near the hatch.

The only other way is if something was stuck in the fob button, causing it to be constantly depressed.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:17 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by JimTN
NO! Didn't happen. Fob doesn't "talk" to the car unless you press a button on the fob, try to open the car door while you have the fob near the door, or try to push the button to open the rear hatch while the fob is near the hatch.

The only other way is if something was stuck in the fob button, causing it to be constantly depressed.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:36 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,254 Likes on 708 Posts

Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

Unless it was jammed under the seat such that one of the buttons was being held down the whole time, it did not happen the way you think. It does not matter where a fob is kept, the system does not work that way. Jim is correct.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,592 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Unless it was jammed under the seat such that one of the buttons was being held down the whole time, it did not happen the way you think. It does not matter where a fob is kept, the system does not work that way. Jim is correct.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:32 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

How does one go an entire week and not realize a fob is MIA ?
Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by MikeyTX
How does one go an entire week and not realize a fob is MIA ?
My buddy could not find the fob under the seat.
I think that means he knew it was missing, he just couldn't find it.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:33 PM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Old 03-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Snake.Oiler
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 86 Likes on 63 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13,'14,'15,'16,'18,'19-'20,'22,'24

Originally Posted by Z06 LOVER
... Harness bar stopped us from crawling into back....
???? Why would you want to crawl into the back?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:50 AM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ok...

So a car has 2 FOB's and a KEY... if you lose them, it is like any other car... deal with it... PS "IF" you open the hatch, no need to crawl in.. just pull the remote wire to open the door, on the left side in the hatch...
Old 03-11-2012, 06:24 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm getting a different interpretation of what happened. With the fob in the car, wouldn't the car constantly be "waking up" trying to determine if the car should be started? I would expect that could kill the car battery in a week.

The fobs should be fine, as mentioned, they don't use up any more battery power regardless of where they're located.

Although the OP indicated "both batteries were dead", I don't think either fob battery died - the dead car battery would prevent either fob from "working" (they probably both "work", but thedead car battery prevents anything from "working").

To the OP - gotta keep the key handy, so you can get into the hatch, and open the doors. But I believe the car should always be charged or jumped from the front... Could be wrong, but I think that's the rule with the Z06.
Old 03-11-2012, 06:26 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Snake.Oiler
???? Why would you want to crawl into the back?
Probably to get to the battery, but I'm not sure that's the right course of action with the Z's anyways.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:53 AM
timd38
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 162 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The owners manual is your friend.

Answer, "I bought the car used and did not get one".
Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,474 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by timd38
The owners manual is your friend.

Answer, "I bought the car used and did not get one".
+1, and Google (and GM) is your friend:
http://www.chevrolet.com/assets/pdf/...tte_owners.pdf
Old 03-11-2012, 08:38 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut
I'm getting a different interpretation of what happened. With the fob in the car, wouldn't the car constantly be "waking up" trying to determine if the car should be started? I would expect that could kill the car battery in a week.

The fobs should be fine, as mentioned, they don't use up any more battery power regardless of where they're located.

Although the OP indicated "both batteries were dead", I don't think either fob battery died - the dead car battery would prevent either fob from "working" (they probably both "work", but thedead car battery prevents anything from "working").

To the OP - gotta keep the key handy, so you can get into the hatch, and open the doors. But I believe the car should always be charged or jumped from the front... Could be wrong, but I think that's the rule with the Z06.
No. The car ands FOB only try to communicate when a button is pushed. Opening a door, closing a door, trying to start the engine, etc. One of the communications is to determine if the FOB is inside or outside the car. That is done by having multiple receivers in the car. But it is only done when trying to determine if you have removed a FOB from the car before it auto locks. That is initiated by opening and closing the door. If the door isn't opening/closing (and no other buttons are be3ing pressed) then the car couldn't care less where the FOB is so it doesn't communicate to find out.

If they were constantly trying to communicate with each other then the batteries would go dead no matter where they were located. The car battery went dead in a week because abused/old batteries go dead in a week.

The rest of your comments are correct, IMHO.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:17 AM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

sounds like my wife....i locked her in the car and she still tried to constantly communicate with me...........

Get notified of new replies

To Don't leave the key fob in the car for a week

Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
sounds like my wife....i locked her in the car and she still tried to constantly communicate with me...........
That's what happens when a woman has a cell phone ............ Jus say'n
Old 03-11-2012, 02:15 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
Old 03-11-2012, 03:47 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
No. The car ands FOB only try to communicate when a button is pushed. Opening a door, closing a door, trying to start the engine, etc. One of the communications is to determine if the FOB is inside or outside the car. That is done by having multiple receivers in the car. But it is only done when trying to determine if you have removed a FOB from the car before it auto locks. That is initiated by opening and closing the door. If the door isn't opening/closing (and no other buttons are be3ing pressed) then the car couldn't care less where the FOB is so it doesn't communicate to find out.
Right - but it sounds like the car was in use with the second fob all week. So every time the driver got out of the car, closing the door behind him, instead of staying turned off, wouldn't it see the missing fob, wake up, and stay on for a while?

Quick Reply: Don't leave the key fob in the car for a week