C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continental ExtremeContact DWS of DW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:33 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,997 Likes on 2,486 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Originally Posted by RC4G
Continental classifies the tires accordingly:
DWS = "Ultra High Performance All Season" - Wear=540 Traction=A Temp=A ratings
DW = "Max Performance Summer" - Wear=340 Traction=AA Temp=A ratings

The DW (Dry/Wet designation) is the higher performance tire with a lower wear and higher traction ratings.
The DWS (Dry/Wet/Snow designation) is an all season tire with provides for much higher wear but at the sacrifice of traction/grip.

Additionally, DWS are not available in GS/Z06 18"19" or ZR1 19"/20" sizes.

FWIW, I have the Continental Extreme Contact DW in ZR1 19"/20" sizes on my Grandsport. I purchased them last year when Michelin runflats in ZR1 sizes were on national backorder for months.

I can confirm that the tires are SIGNIFICANTLY quieter than the OEM Michelin runflats they replaced, have very good wet traction and I have not noticed any loss of feel on turn-in or when "pushed". The dry traction was as good or better compared to the Michelins when they were new but the Michelins turned to rocks once they got to 4/32's tread depth.
thanks for the information on these, especially in the ZR1 sizes

need tires for my 427, and these are 1/2 the cost of the Michelins, and readily available
Old 09-29-2016, 09:18 PM
TonyFaub
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Conti DW is a great tire for the money. At cornering limits they will wear about the edges so tire pressure and alignment are critical to prevent cording the edges. Contact patch is designed well to prevent hydroplaning but you will get a little squirm and I also saw center rib edges come off pretty early, still they last pretty good. A little less grip than a 200 tw tire like the re-71r. I ran almost a whole season of autocross on these tires and they are slightly noisier but definitely grippier than the Wide oval indy 500, not as fast as the re-71r but the tradeoff is treadlife and noise. I think if you are looking for a well mannered DD tire with excellent price, performance, life and manners, the Extreme Contact DW is a good choice.
Old 09-30-2016, 12:20 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

DWS is a very comfortable riding tire.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:40 AM
RC4G
Melting Slicks

Received 187 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by rkj427
thanks for the information on these, especially in the ZR1 sizes

need tires for my 427, and these are 1/2 the cost of the Michelins, and readily available
Exactly why I purchased them.

Quick Reply: Continental ExtremeContact DWS of DW?