C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Losing interest - Must be getting old

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:28 AM
besz28
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Until recently I had 5 sports cars. A Corvette 02 coupe, 05 coupe and a 08 coupe. They were differentiated by automatic, 6 spd manual, LS1,2 and 3 motors. Along with them I had two roadsters a 06 Viper and a 07 Miata.

Before that I had a 99 Miata, RX-7 and a Honda S2000.

Last fall I got rid of the 07 Miata, 02 Corvette and the 06 Viper. Now I am going to start the process for the 05 and 08.

In the past 2 years I only got 80 miles added to the 05 and 4,000 to the 08 which I got in Sept. 08 and about half that was two trips to Funfest.

I just don't seem interested in them anymore so they have been just garage art.

Maybe being 71 has something to do with it. Tired of license, insurance and maintenance every 12 months.

Motorcycles still keep me charged up but not the cars.

I did talk to the wife that maybe keep them until the C7 comes out and trade in on a C7 Calloway with automatic.

Any other seniors out there losing interest?
your not losing interest your becoming a typical corvette owner..buy a corvette mod the hell out of it .....not with performance mods, but mods like steering wheels, floor mats,and switches that make it wild part of the time(must be the old age) THEN KEEP IT IN THE GARAGE never drive it, then post on the forum, how shiny your car is and how you look down on anyone who drives their car even a little spirited. congratulations you have become an official corvette owner, now just go buy the creepy corvette hat and matching shirt and wear it everywhere. god bless
Old 03-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,951 Likes on 5,344 Posts

Until recently I had 5 sports cars. A Corvette 02 coupe, 05 coupe and a 08 coupe. They were differentiated by automatic, 6 spd manual, LS1,2 and 3 motors. Along with them I had two roadsters a 06 Viper and a 07 Miata.

Last fall I got rid of the 07 Miata, 02 Corvette and the 06 Viper. Now I am going to start the process for the 05 and 08.

In the past 2 years I only got 80 miles added to the 05 and 4,000 to the 08 which I got in Sept. 08 and about half that was two trips to Funfest.

Maybe being 71 has something to do with it. Tired of license, insurance and maintenance every 12 months.

I did talk to the wife that maybe keep them until the C7 comes out and trade in on a C7 Calloway with automatic.

Yes, you can lose interest in things over the years. It happens to everybody. However, you seem to have been more of a collector than an enthusiast. With a stable of cars you end up doing a lot of work that gets boring quickly. Working for what seems to be no purpose can kill an interest.

Get yourself down to one sports car. Drive it everyday if possible (Corvettes can be used as daily drivers even in heavy snow, I know I did it for 10 years). You are old enough to remember when people used their sports cars as everyday drivers because they couldn't afford to spend the money on something that sat around collecting dust.

People buy sports cars for a lot of reasons but the best reason is for doing the things that gave them their name. Sports. Try some autocross, even at 71 you may find it fun and you get to associate with a much younger crowd that will show an interest in you and your car. Just being involved with them adds zest to your life. Take some HPDE classes and find out what you don't know about driving.

I just turned 70 in December and am currently getting ready for this season of Motorsports Events. I instruct at HPDEs and autocrosses, I compete in autocrosses with a group of people that range in age from 20 to their early 60s. I find the preparation can be grueling at times since I have arthritis in my hands and knees but once I get to the event the adrenaline hits and all of those issues are submerged in the thrill of speed, pulling Gs and in the case of autocrossing running a faster time than the 20 year old who has no fear of any consequences.

I go to two autocrosses each year where one of the participants uses his age as his car number. Last fall his car number was 83. He drives an old clapped out Datsun 240Z that has huge rust holes in it and although he doesn't run the fastest times around the course he isn't the slowest.

Try doing those things before you say you have lost interest. If you find they don't spark your interest then move on to some other activity.

Healthy people in our age group have in the range of 15 to 20 good years left in our lives. Enjoy them to the fullest.

Bill
Old 03-09-2012, 12:27 PM
MikeSVT04
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm kinda losing interest, but in a different way.

I have a 60k car sitting in the garage 5 months out of the year losing value. I have been kicking the idea around to sell the GS and Pick up an 03-04 cobra with a whipple and supporting mods. All the power I need and non of the depreciation. I had one before the Vette and loved it.

I don't track my car just a street cruiser/brawler.

I'm a blue color worker so I don't make tons of money and the above idea just makes sense.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:50 PM
jackhall99
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Yes, you can lose interest in things over the years. It happens to everybody. However, you seem to have been more of a collector than an enthusiast. With a stable of cars you end up doing a lot of work that gets boring quickly. Working for what seems to be no purpose can kill an interest.

Get yourself down to one sports car. Drive it everyday if possible (Corvettes can be used as daily drivers even in heavy snow, I know I did it for 10 years). You are old enough to remember when people used their sports cars as everyday drivers because they couldn't afford to spend the money on something that sat around collecting dust.

People buy sports cars for a lot of reasons but the best reason is for doing the things that gave them their name. Sports. Try some autocross, even at 71 you may find it fun and you get to associate with a much younger crowd that will show an interest in you and your car. Just being involved with them adds zest to your life. Take some HPDE classes and find out what you don't know about driving.

I just turned 70 in December and am currently getting ready for this season of Motorsports Events. I instruct at HPDEs and autocrosses, I compete in autocrosses with a group of people that range in age from 20 to their early 60s. I find the preparation can be grueling at times since I have arthritis in my hands and knees but once I get to the event the adrenaline hits and all of those issues are submerged in the thrill of speed, pulling Gs and in the case of autocrossing running a faster time than the 20 year old who has no fear of any consequences.

I go to two autocrosses each year where one of the participants uses his age as his car number. Last fall his car number was 83. He drives an old clapped out Datsun 240Z that has huge rust holes in it and although he doesn't run the fastest times around the course he isn't the slowest.

Try doing those things before you say you have lost interest. If you find they don't spark your interest then move on to some other activity.

Healthy people in our age group have in the range of 15 to 20 good years left in our lives. Enjoy them to the fullest.

Bill
Nice post Bill.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:13 PM
lh4x4
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! a lot of good responses. I liked the Can Am suggestion and the low T comment. I wondered about that myself.

I do thing as some suggested that I went to far and had too many to take care of. I will put the 05, 6M, Z51, 3LT with 16,125 miles on it first. It is Machine Silver. Just had new tires on it as the original tires on the Z51 package wore out fast. Well in 6 years anyway.

When it is gone I will try and use the 08 more and then see what happens.

I will meet my bucket list goal of all 49 States and Canadian Provence's on a motorcycle this summer. Maybe I should try that in the Vette.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:29 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by vintagez
I live in Canada, 30 minutes away from you, any summer car you can drive from April till the end of October without a problem. For the winter months you obviously need something else besides a vette, but that is common sense. I was just trying to tell the OP to use and enjoy his car more, whichever vehicle he chooses, otherwise he drives himself crazy trying to wax and polish it but is afraid to drive it.
I know a few people that spend more time washing and waxing their car than driving it. I never undertood that logic though. These cars depreciate no matter what so you may as well drive them.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:34 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
I know a few people that spend more time washing and waxing their car than driving it. I never undertood that logic though. These cars depreciate no matter what so you may as well drive them.
Did you ever think that maybe they enjoy it? A sense of pride or accomplishment.

I never understood how some are so quick to judge.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:56 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't think 71 has anything to do with it. Hell, I'm 72 and just got out from under mine after installing racing headers and jumped under the hood to install a ported FAST 102. I never get tired of driving or wrenching; with a Corvette it's a blast. When the C7's come out I'll get one of those too.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:26 PM
LDB
Drifting

Received 1,075 Likes on 434 Posts

This is sort of like all the coupe vs GS vs Z06 vs ZR1 threads. It all depends on what you want. I don’t think somebody 65+ who still has a Vette should snicker about my loss of testosterone in having copped out to a CTSV, just like I shouldn’t snicker about his desperately hanging on to his youth. With all the choices in Vettes and V series Caddys, GM offers a wide range of choices in high performance cars to match whatever your current preferences are. And for that matter, if you’ve lost interest in all high performance cars, that’s cool too. I’m not interested in an XTS or similar land yacht yet, but some number of years on down the road, who knows?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:59 PM
BT ZR1
2009 ZR1 SN 1166
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by besz28
your not losing interest your becoming a typical corvette owner..buy a corvette mod the hell out of it .....not with performance mods, but mods like steering wheels, floor mats,and switches that make it wild part of the time(must be the old age) THEN KEEP IT IN THE GARAGE never drive it, then post on the forum, how shiny your car is and how you look down on anyone who drives their car even a little spirited. congratulations you have become an official corvette owner, now just go buy the creepy corvette hat and matching shirt and wear it everywhere. god bless
Old 03-09-2012, 07:08 PM
AeroJim
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 36 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I'm 68 and I thought it was just me.. I recently sold one of my motorcyles but kept the 1800 goldwing.. I'm considering selling my 2011 GS Vert, I've turned it into a garage queen and need to re-evaluate my reason for having it.. Much like you I've had a bunch of cars over the years. This is my second C-6 and its a good car, I've just lost interest.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:03 PM
Marina Blue
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

All you old-timers are making me feel young again. At our age we need to make the best use of our time, so I bet you'll keep whatever you're having the most fun with.

Last edited by Marina Blue; 03-09-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:32 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
....I just turned 70 in December and am currently getting ready for this season of Motorsports Events. I instruct at HPDEs and autocrosses, I compete in autocrosses with a group of people that range in age from 20 to their early 60s. I find the preparation can be grueling at times since I have arthritis in my hands and knees but once I get to the event the adrenaline hits and all of those issues are submerged in the thrill of speed, pulling Gs and in the case of autocrossing running a faster time than the 20 year old who has no fear of any consequences... ...Try doing those things before you say you have lost interest. If you find they don't spark your interest then move on to some other activity.
Bill
Wow Bill, I’ve been reading your posts for a while and figured you were a young dude. I love seeing all the 70 YO folks still loving their Vettes. It makes me excited to get older as I'm "only" 56. I took my car to the dragstrip and to two different road courses for the first time in my life last year. Great fun! It sure brings the real excitement of the Corvette to life.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by MikeSVT04
I'm kinda losing interest, but in a different way.

I have a 60k car sitting in the garage 5 months out of the year losing value. I have been kicking the idea around to sell the GS and Pick up an 03-04 cobra with a whipple and supporting mods. All the power I need and non of the depreciation. I had one before the Vette and loved it.

I don't track my car just a street cruiser/brawler.

I'm a blue color worker so I don't make tons of money and the above idea just makes sense.
Ya might want to redo the math.....the GS...your gonna be in the mid $40s when you sell it (can buy a new 12 GS Coupe with hud nav etc for 53). Low mile (you don't want high) 03/04 cobra is gonna run you 20-25k. PLUS sales tax. Add on another 10k for he new blower and suspecnsion mods etc....and at best your 10k apart. Not much money.....

NOTE this is not a Stang bask...I live in both worlds..3 past Z06's and an 11 GS...I also own a 12 Boss 302.... just saying your numbers really do not add up well in terms of overall differneces between the rides.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:42 AM
69L79
Le Mans Master

Location: Hamilton Square NJ, Ocean City N. J. Key Biscayne Fla.
Received 849 Likes on 383 Posts

I turned 65 on March 1. Love my GrandSport, my 19th Vette. I can't remember Life without a Vette.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:35 AM
Mel 2001
Drifting

Originally Posted by LDB
Just slightly modified my interest, shifting from Vettes to CTSV coupe. Performance essentially equivalent to Vette coupes that I had for 20 years, but a whole lot more comfortable and quiet. Age a month shy of 65. All including CTSV have had MN6.
I too just shy of 65 and traded my c6 06 vert for a 2012 cts-v sedan. Still have power but with more comfort and quiet and actually can hear the great sounding radio.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:20 AM
66biskwik
Burning Brakes

I can see where he's comming from. I'm 65 and lived the Muscle Car era and owned a bunch of them and still have a couple. So I've been doing this for 45+ years. I also had the boats, bikes, etc. So sometimes it's hard for me to keep the spark alive. There are a lot of us out there that weren't as lucky as myself so they started later on in life to when they were somewhat successful and could afford them. So it's new and still fresh. My latest answer is my 07 Z06. All I have to do is hit the start button on my 660 Lingenfelter and you know what:
IT'S BACK!

Get notified of new replies

To Losing interest - Must be getting old

Old 03-10-2012, 11:27 AM
BigBlueDevil
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah cars are like women. Even if you had Ashley Judd you'd prolly get tired of her too!!!???

Just get a modded musclecar (whatever you like) that can do an 8 second quarter mile... trust me you won't be bored anymore!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Mardis Gras
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Low "T"
Old 03-10-2012, 02:05 PM
GQMGT
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

I have to admit at 61, and having to see the vert covered during the winter, I'm starting to lose interest.....

Quick Reply: Losing interest - Must be getting old