C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nav system sucks

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 12:28 PM
ROD BROWN
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Nav system sucks

A couple of days ago,I went to the desert to visit one of my Army buddys.That Nav system kept taking me different routes back to my original starting point.The Nav system in my opinion is a piece of junk.I have studied the manual and one of the forum members wrote a great supplement manual which I printed out and leave in the car.I am going back to my Magellan GPS.Sorry guys,I am just venting.For the price we pay for this accessory it should work.Rod
Old 03-06-2012, 12:35 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 395 Posts

Noticed you have a 2009... Mines a 08, the screen is small, hard to see in day light hours but the directions have always been spot on...
Old 03-06-2012, 12:39 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the Nav is not all that bad. Certainly not as user friendly as a Garmin. But if you know how to use it, and read the manual it gets the job done and then some. Has some pretty cool features like night/day mode, voice commands and split screen.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:48 PM
JJC5
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason it's taking you back to your starting point is that you never finished your last trip to that point so the current destination in your NAV is the one where your starting from. If you never saw "you've reached your destination" on the screen, you'll need to cancel guidance by going to menu-options-cancel guidance. Now you can start a new destination.
It's really not that bad of a system. It gets a pretty bad rap.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:55 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,190 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by JJC5
The reason it's taking you back to your starting point is that you never finished your last trip to that point so the current destination in your NAV is the one where your starting from. If you never saw "you've reached your destination" on the screen, you'll need to cancel guidance by going to menu-options-cancel guidance. Now you can start a new destination.
It's really not that bad of a system. It gets a pretty bad rap.
Bingo.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Jimmy Mac!
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Like someone just said above, It's not User Friendly like Garmin, bujt it works very good for me. From downtown L.A. to the desert. No problem. (2010 Coupe)
Old 03-06-2012, 01:08 PM
brooklync5
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 282 Posts

Had the stock and ripped that POS out in no time. Pioneer x920bt has been great for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:41 PM
Stan0324
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 109 Posts

No problems with mine. May not be the best, but it does work.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:47 PM
gerryt
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, get another one. If you can afford a vette you can afford it.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:50 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Agreed it works but.......wanted to take a trip up to Bayshore (TKO Performance, northerly direction) from Captree State Park recently, kept telling me to go south to Fire Island and then east, only problem is Fire Island is an ISLAND, water all around it, finally got out the map and found TKO. I tried it twice, did the same thing both times. Other times it's been great though...and I have the Version 7 (2011) DVD.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:58 PM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

I was hoping to make a trip to Houston this week so in anticipation I read the instructions that Talon90 posted that are now in the FAQ sticky. I setup my house as Home and navigated home yesterday.

I was surprised how accurate the navigation was. I was especially surprised how accurate the location of my house was since I live outside of town in a very small subdivision.

I understand your frustration but the navigation worked very well for me and the integration into the HUD is fantastic.

One thing I have not had time to try out that may help you determine if another route selection may make a difference, is the route preview capability. It will let you actually preview the planned route and delete segments that you want to avoid and it will find a new route for those segments.

I have a 2008 vette. I have no idea if the DVD is original or possibly newer.

I hope that you find a way to make it useful.

Last edited by bonnell; 03-06-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 02:08 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I have three Vehicles with Nav. The Corvette has a Denso, the CTS has an Alpine and the Silverado has a Garmin Nuvi 1490BT. They all work about the same and get me where I need to go while providing the informaiton that I need.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:53 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Glad I have a Kenwood with Garmin Nav, zero issues
Old 03-06-2012, 04:05 PM
PittMD1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All nav systems have issues. I travel a bit for work and always get a nav for the rental when in a new city. I had one down in Tampa that would direct me accross a long bridge and get to the other side and send you right back accross only to do it again.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:30 PM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Works for me. Garmin is alot more user friendly but my stock Nav is fine. I doubt I will ever change it because I think the directions in the HUD is great
Old 03-06-2012, 04:40 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,364 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

My Grandfather used to say "A poor workman always blames the tools", and the OP's problem is most likely "pilot error". Or his system is simply broken and needs to be fixed.

GM deserves a kick in the butt for supplying a system that is so non-intuitive. Perhaps they thought Corvette drivers were made of better stuff, willing & able to learn the more complex system. Wrong, or at least Wrong For Some.

For those who are willing to study the tutorial from talon90 and the GM manual, it's an excellent unit. Not perfect, because no Nav is perfect. But very capable.

As mentioned before, we have two "other company" factory navs, two Garmins, and a cellphone nav. All are useful, none are perfect, and I prefer the C6 Nav over the others.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:16 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
My Grandfather used to say "A poor workman always blames the tools", and the OP's problem is most likely "pilot error". Or his system is simply broken and needs to be fixed.

GM deserves a kick in the butt for supplying a system that is so non-intuitive. Perhaps they thought Corvette drivers were made of better stuff, willing & able to learn the more complex system. Wrong, or at least Wrong For Some.

For those who are willing to study the tutorial from talon90 and the GM manual, it's an excellent unit. Not perfect, because no Nav is perfect. But very capable.

As mentioned before, we have two "other company" factory navs, two Garmins, and a cellphone nav. All are useful, none are perfect, and I prefer the C6 Nav over the others.

Absolutely outstanding post. Spot on..

Get notified of new replies

To Nav system sucks

Old 03-06-2012, 06:21 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim

But a hammer doesn't take a 50 page tutorial to operate, for the average workman.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:52 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

Chevrolet overestimated the abilities of their Corvette customers, true. For a 2005-era system it isn't nearly as awful as some make it out to be.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 PM
C3 Vette Fan
Pro

Originally Posted by CaryBob
Chevrolet overestimated the abilities of their Corvette customers, true. For a 2005-era system it isn't nearly as awful as some make it out to be.

Quick Reply: Nav system sucks